BillC4

Sea deck faux teak on engine cover?

BillC4    24

On another thread I asked about new vinyl. An option over the engine lid is the sea deck material. http://www.seadek.com/c-57-faux-teak-material.aspx. I would leave the port and starboard lockers in vinyl.

Has anyone done this to their back engine deck? I saw a nautique made like this and it really helped footing going on and off the boat. Plus the vinyl doesn't get torn up. The storage compartments would stay vinyl.

What do you think?

RhuntIII    555

I think you might be on to something. I'm sure several will come in saying that your loosing a place to lay in the sun, that may be so. Think about how you like to use your boat, how long your planning on keeping it and resale.

I say do it and post up pics of your mod.

Questions? What are the dimensions of each locker cover? LxW.

What is the dimension of the engine cover? LxW.

What material is the engine locker made out of? Wood/Fiberglass

If fiberglassed, is it gel coated/finished?

You could run into an issue of refinishing the engine hatch to match the rest of the boat's gel coat. In my head I'm not picturing the seadek covering every inch like the vinyl.

If your thinking about either new vinyl or seadek you can strip the old vinyl off to get some questions answered. I'm also thinking you have a hatch lock handle thingy that might need to be addressed with the new material.

Pics, Pics, Pics! Start posting pics of the way the boat is now!

What if you took it a step further and did seadek on the swim platform to match the new seadek on the engine hatch. Example, red seadek on the engine hatch, red seadek on the swim platform, same width as the engine hatch and black on each side.

The new boats have a seat that you can flip over so your not stepping on the vinyl popping the seams. Like in DrNate's boat. (See Centurion knows of this unwarrantied design flaw) If you can incorporate a step into the boat to match the engine hatch as well you might have a very nice mod.

It's always better spending some else's money than my own. I don't have to hear about it (Wife). :laughing:

Good luck.

truekaotik    458

On another thread I asked about new vinyl. An option over the engine lid is the sea deck material. http://www.seadek.com/c-57-faux-teak-material.aspx. I would leave the port and starboard lockers in vinyl.

Has anyone done this to their back engine deck? I saw a nautique made like this and it really helped footing going on and off the boat. Plus the vinyl doesn't get torn up. The storage compartments would stay vinyl.

What do you think?

This would be ok if you don't use the sun pad to lay on.. Several boats have the teak walk-thru on the pad now but also have a cushion to cover it up in one way or another.. I have done a supra with a 10" strip of teak down the center cover and then the rest of the sun pad lockers are vinyl.. Only thing I did not like about it was the dip going from foamed vinyl to faux teak back to vinyl, so we added a birch spacer below to level the teak to the vinyl ;)

I'm affraid the large section you'd want to do would not look appealing when done... Maybe do a 12-14"strip down the center?

Edited by truekaotik

BillC4    24

I like the idea about the smaller strip down the center. The engine lid is wide. I'll investigate that option. Sea deck comes in grey and black which would match my boat.

RhuntIII    555

Sweet. I like the Idea of this mod and looking forward to seeing it go through. Good luck again and lots of pics, please.

PayCheck    20

something super cool about the Tige Z3 (not sure about other models) is the top of the engine compartment. it is a strip of some hard plastic with seadeck on one side, and soft vinyl on the other. this might be impossible on your boat, boat i think it would be cool to be able to flip over to whichever side you want

I took out the vinyl on the sun deck on the middle compartment,  cut a 12 inch strip out of the pad and out a 12 inch strip of sea deck down the middle.  I then wrapped the other 2 sides with vinyl. 

namadio    0
On 7/14/2018 at 3:57 PM, Maxpowers1207 said:

I took out the vinyl on the sun deck on the middle compartment,  cut a 12 inch strip out of the pad and out a 12 inch strip of sea deck down the middle.  I then wrapped the other 2 sides with vinyl. 

Pics please!!!! Exploring similar options as my vinyl on my 2002 is falling apart.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, namadio said:

Pics please!!!! Exploring similar options as my vinyl on my 2002 is falling apart.

I'm able to post the pics... the file is too big. Similar to this: 

https://mastercraftafrica.com/index.php/product/xt21/

My sundeck is 3 sections. So I tookthe middle upholstery off, cut about a 14 inch section out of the middle foam padding, re upholstered the side and place the sea deck in the middle.