kriskussee    9

best place to start on that journey is Duffy. (I'd be interested in going in with you 50/50 because most actuator systems, whatever we find will have 2 of everything in the box) . Almost everything changes with hull shapes and sizes... What ever wing plate shape or size we need I can have made at a machine shop I have connections with. So I look forward to this thread growing. Actuators & controls - everyone, Wing Plate shapes & sizes - Boat Model and Year specific (we both have Avalanche w/ 1.15 ratio v-drive, Left Hand rotation prop); look at this 2 "non-darkside" riders looking how to possibly improve the quality of our goofy wave. i'm sure Big Cat is gonna be interested too because he is now gonna go over on that side and show y'all how it needs to get done over there! - I have notes from a few other threads i will post in the next few days

Troy. R    198

Hey Kris! I wouldn't mind going in 50/50 if that's the better price, but i think you can get an actuator for $160-$200 depending on the model. The plates that would come in a set would have no value since we'll be having new plates made. And I want to go with the teleflex factory style switch, so any switch in the set wouldn't have value either.

Here's the switch I want to use:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/teleflex-pro-trim-bezel-switch-single.html?gclid=CKqTg-WQqLoCFex7Qgod4jAAtg

I'm very interested in the shop hook up you have for the plate. For what it's worth, the factory plate on the new Enzos extend 13" from transom, spans across the flat part of the hull (which is about 12" on an Avy), then extend 6.5" up the port side following the contour of the hull.

Edited by Troy. R

boardjnky4    8

The 102 is going to give you the most flexibility in terms of angle.

IMO, it would be nice to be able to raise the plate up far enough that it's not interfering at all.

Troy. R    198

I'm also wondering if a double wing plate might be better than the asymmetrical plate on the Avy hull. I remember Phillewis had good results with a double winked plate on his Avy...

grandpa    11

You can count me in. This is definitely on the top of my list for winter upgrades. I am very interested on the best way, and best plate to improve the goofy side.

duramat    462

You can count me in. This is definitely on the top of my list for winter upgrades. I am very interested on the best way, and best plate to improve the goofy side.

X2!

kriskussee    9

Hey Kris! I wouldn't mind going in 50/50 if that's the better price, but i think you can get an actuator for $160-$200 depending on the model. The plates that would come in a set would have no value since we'll be having new plates made. And I want to go with the teleflex factory style switch, so any switch in the set wouldn't have value either.

Here's the switch I want to use:

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/teleflex-pro-trim-bezel-switch-single.html?gclid=CKqTg-WQqLoCFex7Qgod4jAAtg

I'm very interested in the shop hook up you have for the plate. For what it's worth, the factory plate on the new Enzos extend 13" from transom, spans across the flat part of the hull (which is about 12" on an Avy), then extend 6.5" up the port side following the contour of the hull.

The only boat that I have been on that had a plate had a leaver actuator like that. Everyone that drove it kept bumping it and changing the settings without noticing

Troy. R    198

Dura has made that comment too. The only experience I have was the 2014 244 I drove. It had one for trim and one for CATS and I never bumped either.

duramat    462

Dura has made that comment too. The only experience I have was the 2014 244 I drove. It had one for trim and one for CATS and I never bumped either.

Nut behind the wheel scenario? LOL

nailem    29

Here is my thread with my results. Maybe I'm not running enough weight.(1100 rear locker and 750 under bench up to claim shell) it did not work on my port side at all. Wave was clean but no push and flat. I know others have reported success but I'm not sure why it was a fail for me. Good luck

phillewis    39

Thought I'd chime in here... towards the end of the season, we took
the grinder to the symetrical wing plate, and hacked off the starboard
wing. The results were amazing! Totally lengthened the wave by about
3-4 feet... it was immediately better. I would recommend the
asymetrical plate over the symetrical one all day. I used the 15055-001
actuators from Lenco with a dash mounted LED switch. They work
perfectly. We ususally run about 2 LED's down from fully up for both
goof and reg. I had to use two actuators because of the stock ballast
intake (pain in the a$$ and slow taboot!)

This
photo is just my iPhone sitting on the rear seat, no wide angles or
anything. Also, with this test run, we just filled the 1400lbs custom
Avy bag in the starboard locker. We usually run the center tank full,
250 in the bow, 400 on the rear seat towards the stb side, and 200lbs
fat brick on the swim deck, which really makes a difference. We were in
a time crunch to test this out, so just imagine this same wave, but
bigger and longer... oh yea!

newgoofywave.JPG

asymplate.JPG

RhuntIII    555

Thought I would throw this in. This is the trim tab manufacturer on my Avy. It also has the Teleflex switch from above with a Bennett gauge.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com

Troy. R    198

That's awesome Phil!

Thanks for the update. Does your plate use the factory under mounting spot or the transom mount like the new Enzos?

Any chance you can post a few pics of the hinge and mounting of your plate?

duramat    462

That's awesome Phil!

Thanks for the update. Does your plate use the factory under mounting spot or the transom mount like the new Enzos?

Any chance you can post a few pics of the hinge and mounting of your plate?

Thought I'd chime in here... towards the end of the season, we took

the grinder to the symetrical wing plate, and hacked off the starboard

wing. The results were amazing! Totally lengthened the wave by about

3-4 feet... it was immediately better. I would recommend the

asymetrical plate over the symetrical one all day. I used the 15055-001

actuators from Lenco with a dash mounted LED switch. They work

perfectly. We ususally run about 2 LED's down from fully up for both

goof and reg. I had to use two actuators because of the stock ballast

intake (pain in the a$$ and slow taboot!)

This

photo is just my iPhone sitting on the rear seat, no wide angles or

anything. Also, with this test run, we just filled the 1400lbs custom

Avy bag in the starboard locker. We usually run the center tank full,

250 in the bow, 400 on the rear seat towards the stb side, and 200lbs

fat brick on the swim deck, which really makes a difference. We were in

a time crunch to test this out, so just imagine this same wave, but

bigger and longer... oh yea!

newgoofywave.JPG

asymplate.JPG

"Most excellent!!"

Awesome info!! And your wave looks so clean! :thumbsup:

Troy, Kris, Gramps, I think this is our ticket!:thumbsup:

phillewis    39

I have some pics somewhere, might take a min to dig them out... but I did use the factory holes on the underside of the transom... I used a big a$$ stainless paino hinge that was the entire width of the plate, and lined it up so the knuckle faces up towards the swim step... then drilled out the same hole pattern to match the holes in the boat, and then bolted the other half of the hinge through the new plate, so the plate is below the hinge, and flush with the transom. I used a countersink bit, so all the screws are flush, and it ended up looking great, and it doesn't create any additional turbulence... Our season got cut super short this year due to the 500 year flooding in Boulder. Our lake was closed down for two weeks following the flood, which was in the middle of Sept. Best month of the year! So, I only got to surf the new wave a handful of times, but it was damn sweet! Can't wait for spring!!!

Troy. R    198

Hey Phil,

A couple more questions...

what are the thickness (gauge) and dimensions of your plate? i found a place online that sells 14 gauge 1' X 2' stainless plates and was wondering if that would work.

Did the asymetrical plate have any impact on the regular wave?

grandpa    11

"Most excellent!!"

Awesome info!! And your wave looks so clean! :thumbsup:

Troy, Kris, Gramps, I think this is our ticket! :thumbsup:

Sign me up and lets make it happen!

phillewis    39

Mine is 3/16" gauge, and it is almost overkill. It was super hard to cut and drill through. I would say you'lll prob be fine with the 14... I posted the dimmensions on a previous thread I had about FX22 wing plate measurements (sorry just checked this, and I can't seem to find the measurements on there, I'll look through some photos)... I think it was 13" long, the width of the transom (14" or so) and then 6.5" wings...

I also think the port side wave was better. The symetrical plate created a bunch of wash near the rooster when the tab was all the way up... if I put the tab down a bit, it cleaned up, but also flattened the wave. I guess this would be fine if you like a flatter wave for skimming, but I'm looking for steep and deep!

Edited by phillewis