Sign in to follow this  
PayCheck

Dodge vs. Chevy

PayCheck    20

we are going to buy a truck, and dont want to spend more than 40k. no diesel, nothing super bling bling or lift kits and 30" tires, just a standard truck. we have been looking around, and i like the Chevy silverado 1500, and dodge 1500. i think we have weeded out fords, just havent been as impressed as we have with the other brands. i know a towing package is necessary, what else should i be looking for? used trucks are also fair game, we almost walked out of a dealership today with a 2010 dodge 1500 SLT with 60k miles for $20k. good deal? it has a clean record, and 2 owners. i guess i am just looking at some input from some other members with newer dodges and chevys.

things we wont buy without

-towing package
-qaud? crew? cab, whichever one is bigger, i dont know the difference

-bed liner

anybody who has purchased a new or used chevy or dodge model year 2010 or newer, id like to know your opinions on your truck vs the others. anyone else who knows whats good and knows about the newer trucks, your input is also appreciated. thanks

RhuntIII    555

A crew cab is the 4 door truck. I like the Chevy and own a 2008 Suburban and towed the Avy fro Parker AZ to Corpus Christi TX. This made me buy a 3/4 ton diesel and this is what we tow the boat with when we go out of town. In town the Chevy is ok towing. Still own the Chevy.

First timer    19

I owned a 2010 ram 1500 and it towed my avy just fine. It sank the tail end of the truck down a little and I was a little nervous about the brakes. I now own a 3/4 ton ford and it tows much better. With a 40k budget why not step up to a 3/4 tone that way you could tow the boat and put stuff in the back.

I have a 2012 Chevy Crew 4x4 1500. Tows my Enzo fine but on a long tow I suffer on MPGs, only get about 8.5 MPG towing at 73 MPH. Traded my 2008 Chevy Crew Diesel 4x4 2500 for it. Only time I miss the diesel is long tows which we only do 1-2 times a year and didn't justify the cost of diesel in a daily driver versus the lower MPG of the gas.

I have a buddy that is the Sales Manager at the local Chevy dealership and the 2014 Silverado's are supposed to be getting 25MPG.

harlobra    24

I sold my '07 Chevy Avalanche in Feb of this year and bought a '11 Ram 1500. The Ram has a lot more power and tows the boat much better. Mine has a 6 speed tranny and you can get the new ones with an 8 speed which means better gas mileage than the Chevy. I like the Ram better.

truekaotik    458

Have the parents Look into the avalanche for your dads boat Paycheck. It has rear leveling ride. You can get a used LTZ for under $40k with better mileage than 60K on that Dodge POS...2010 and Newer has a 6 speed tranny with the ability to drop cylinders for better gas mileage when not towing.. Dodge has been having issues with valve noise since 2003, their trannies have been going bunk on the newer ones.. Several recalls... I'm a Chevy over Dodge kinda guy :)

Edited by truekaotik

PayCheck    20

We were looking at the 2014 silverados, but today is the last day of the selling quarter, and all the new inventory is coming in and they are giving away 2013s... We don't tow the boat far, no more than an half hour, but would like to start going on more local short trips. 3/4 ton trucks are pretty big, and a lot of gas in the Washington, D.C. Traffic is a factor, commuting about an hour to and from 5 day will decide the boss mans decision.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with the dodges? True, I heard they had improved majorly starting in 2009, are they going the opposite direction?

How will we benefit from the 8 speed tranny? If it will give better gas mileage in the city, I think it is what we want. I don't remember seeing any 8 speed trannies at the Chevy dealer.

Does Chevy get 25 mpg on their v8 engines? Maybe that will persude him to go for a 2014

truekaotik    458

Pay,

2013 Dodges still "tick" and the tranny takes getting use to... It's odd to say the least the way it shifts... JMO though..

They ride nice, look tough.... The SRT 10 don't tick... Lol

Edited by truekaotik

DarksideR    1,679

They ride nice, look tough.... The SRT 10 don't tick... Lol

That's right... they GULP! lol

So, why not check out Ford or Toyota(out of curiosity)? I'm not trying to sell you on the ford though, I'm actually having issues with my 2006 right now. Trans/fuel system issues.

harlobra    24

Mine doesn't tick and hauls butt over my Chevy. I won't buy another Chevy till they pay back us taxpayers.

Nick213    583

Have the parents Look into the avalanche for your dads boat Paycheck. It has rear leveling ride. You can get a used LTZ for under $40k with better mileage than 60K on that Dodge POS...2010 and Newer has a 6 speed tranny with the ability to drop cylinders for better gas mileage when not towing.. Dodge has been having issues with valve noise since 2003, their trannies have been going bunk on the newer ones.. Several recalls... I'm a Chevy over Dodge kinda guy :)

x2

CHEVY for life!!!! I have a 06 1500 crew cab 5.3L

It tows just fine. My dad has a 2013 and yes it will run on 4 cylinders on the hi way and have excellent power when using all 8. Buy a Chevy!!!!

First timer    19

Check out the tundras. Those trucks are really nice and have tons of power

jdb11386    1

I'd be looking for a silverado with the 6.2. There are a few out there. Take it to a good tuner with a dyno and you should be able to get close to 400 HP to the rear wheels and still get 20mpg on the interstate. You'll never know a boat is behind it. I tow my boat with an 08 sierra Denali with the 6.2 and love it. The truck is fun to drive and good on gas. If you're not dead set on a Chevrolet I'd look at the denalis too, there are more of them.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Copenglenn    44

I've got an 06 GMC 2500 with the LBZ Duramax and after towing with a diesel, I won't tow with a gas powered truck. It pulls my enzo just fine, although it puts out a bit more than stock (443hp to the tire). You'll also benefit from the larger brakes and suspension of a 3/4ton truck and a diesel will get better mileage when loaded and when empty.

Note: My opinion is extremely biased as I sell diesel performance parts lol :laughing:

BillC4    24

I was a GM man, at one point owned 3 at one time. Still have a 2004 Tahoe that I tow everything with. Love the Tahoe.

With that being said, like harlobra above, I wont buy another GM nor dodge until the taxpayers get their money back. And that won't happen as the politicians think we have forgotten.

My son bought a new crew cab ford and I'm impressed. He got it for under 40k, 4wd, tow package. Nice truck. I wouldn't hesitate buying one. Nice truck.

elc    2

I have owned an 08 chevy with a 5.3 and a 2010 dodge crew with the hemi. The dodge is a much better tow vehicle... the trans on the tahoe would get hot very time we towed. We don't tow nearly as much as we did with the tahoe but I am not sure I would buy another 5.3 if I towed a lot.

DrNate    426

I have a Ram but it is a Cummins diesel. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges diesels to gas. But I will say this: In my experience, Dodges as a rule are cheaper. The fit and finish might not be quite as nice, but if you're going for towing power, it's hard to beat a Dodge. I went from Ford to Dodge and have been very happy.

I will say the Allison transmissions on the Chevy's are known for their longevity

• Like 1

Copenglenn    44

My Allison is hating life right now with the extra power. They hold up well to stock power levels and having a 6spd auto is nice.

All the trucks have known issues, just do your homework. There's never been a truck produced that has come off the factory floor the way I want it.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

I think the Tundra is a option as well... A lot of my Freinds swear by it...

To be honest I have a Avalanche but like ford trucks as well.. I'm a equal opportunity employer... Lol. It really up to your preference like most things buddy...

Nick213    583

True I'm LMAO, you drive a Chevy but love ford!!!!

I was at Home Depot yesterday and thought to myself this guy is a jack donkey. He was blocking the entire road and I thought he was loading up lumber. I went in and went to leave and he's still there. I looked closely as to what's the problem, well I saw it his tie rods where hanging unattached. At that point I felt bad and asked if he wanted me to pull him outta the way, he said please and as I backed up the tow truck pulled up. Anyway his last comment was thanx buddy I need a Chevy!!! Lol true story and happened yesterday afternoon.