LTRGUY261

Bilge pump? Does it have an auto feature?

LTRGUY261    2

So after we ran out of gas and got towed back to the dock Saturday, we were getting ready for the ride home and I heard something. Yep it was the Bilge pump, checked the switch it was in the off position but the light in the switch was on. Lifted the engine cover and think I seen the pump on the Starboard side near the transom?

Does it just have a simple float down there I haven't seen/located yet?

Wylie_Tunes    146

LTRGUY,

Most modern auto bilge pumps are 3 wire pumps with an internal float or water sensor, so you most likely have an auto bilge, but no external float switch. When turned on by water level, 12V goes out the switched circuit back to the switch and turns the light on, This gives you an illuminated indication that the bilge is pumping.

Bigcatpt    408

The float is inside the bilge pump. And yes it is located on the stbd side on the floor (hull) near the transom.

It sounds like your float is stuck in the up position. If you turn your batteries off that should quiet it down for the time being and not burn out your pump or drain your battery.

The bilge pump just snaps into a fitting that is screwed down into the hull. If you just grab it and pull at an angle it will come out of the mount. Shake it around and the float should reset. Check to make sure nothing is inhibiting the float. Usual suspects are the end of a zip tie that the builders left in the bilge. Most the time they keep the float from moving up and turning on... but you may have just the opposite problem in this case.

If for some reason you find that it is not really your bilge pump making the noise then you may have a bad relay going to your high pressure fuel pump which would cause it to run without stopping. But that is a story for another day. Check your bilge pump first.

LTRGUY261    2

Thanks for the replies guys. It is the bilge for sure, I have been upside down in the locker for the last few minutes to verify that.

Man it is a booger to get to! I will crawl back in and see if I can get it out and shake it around. I have already pulled some zip tie ends and a screw out of there. I'll go see what else I can find.

Hopefully a winning lottery ticket!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wylie_Tunes    146

The auto bilge should actually be wired directly to the battery, not the common side of the battery switch. So turning the battery switch would not disconnect the pump from the battery. This will lead to a dead battery when the boat is stored if the pump hangs up and stays on. Yours could be wired to the switch though, I know a couple self-proclaimed premium tow boat manufacturers that wired them to the switch up until a couple of years ago.

truekaotik    458

BigCats dead on in this situation unless your battery direct, if battery direct, unplug it.... Follow his instruction for the rest... It most likely debrie...

Edited by truekaotik

LTRGUY261    2

I was able to kill it Saturday by pulling the fuse. Just got it out and found two pieces of zip ties and a chunk of wire that looked like it was partially stripped then cut off.

Bottom line bilge is back to normal, thanks again guys.

superdtf    68

Yup, I was victimized by the zip ties too. Big pisser. Funny how the boys in Merced have now won themselves a reputation for not cleaning up. I think someone found fast food garbage too.

Nick213    583

Same with pro flight for me. They dropped the bolts from my tower and I found them and other debris in my bilge. :( take some pride in your work guys!!!!

RVR-RAT    269

No food, but some small carpet remnants and few small pieces of sea deck... Oh and a brass screw..... So far !!

LTRGUY261    2

Found more zip ties, a screw, some carpet, and a sticker down there today while I was getting the water pump out.

superdtf    68

Found more zip ties, a screw, some carpet, and a sticker down there today while I was getting the water pump out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Oh good. Now it will work the right way and not piss you off.

Skibumm    184

I have a boat that is constantly shedding stuff. I am amazed at how many stainless bolts, screws, pieces of things that I have no idea where they came from end up in my bilge every year. I am pretty certain that at some point my boat will simply not exist. every once in a while I will find out where something came from and replace it from my stock pile of parts.

RVR-RAT    269

Ok adding zip ties to my list! :thumbsup: I found 3 in the bilge while replacing my recalled exhaust hoses.

superdtf    68

Zip ties are indeed the most common bilge pump fouling culprit.

Chexi    35

My brand new SV233 has this same problem. I am used to one of the other manufacturers that has a switch for the bilge. Apparently, one of the bilge pumps on my SV233 is wired directly to the battery and is on a float. I can understand why one would set things up this way, but there are obviously some big downsides. Having the float get stuck (which mine already has... have to now get in there and check it) will drain the battery and wear out the pump. However, the other big down side is when trailering. I have been trailering and witnessed my boat start shooting out water sideways while driving or stopped (with all battery switches off, key off, etc.). I am dreading the day that my boat pisses all over the driver of a convertible next to me. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. And yes, I have the boat plug out, but sometimes you get to that hill that is just right and water from the bow finally heads to the stern and whammo!

Edited by Chexi

Shaka    146

My brand new SV233 has this same problem. I am used to one of the other manufacturers that has a switch for the bilge. Apparently, one of the bilge pumps on my SV233 is wired directly to the battery and is on a float. I can understand why one would set things up this way, but there are obviously some big downsides. Having the float get stuck (which mine already has... have to now get in there and check it) will drain the battery and wear out the pump. However, the other big down side is when trailering. I have been trailering and witnessed my boat start shooting out water sideways while driving or stopped (with all battery switches off, key off, etc.). I am dreading the day that my boat pisses all over the driver of a convertible next to me. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. And yes, I have the boat plug out, but sometimes you get to that hill that is just right and water from the bow finally heads to the stern and whammo!

I've had my bilge pump stay on all night a few times and it did no damage and my batteries were fine. Mine is wired for automatic and switched use. In all cases zip ties were the culprit.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Chexi,

If you dont leave the boat in the water or on a lift, then you can wire the auto bilge wire to the boat side of the main battery switch. Fully automatic when the boat is in use, but disconnected when you pull the boat out of the water and turn the main switch off.

Chexi    35

Turns out my automatic bilge was defective (probably an internal short). With the float in the down position the bilge would continuously run at about half speed. Float lifted, full speed. Never off, no matter what. I had to disconnect it at the breaker.

Related, getting to it on an SV233 with ramfill = no fun, pulled back muscles, getting stuck... etc.

Edited by Chexi

I found a snap on screwdriver in my other boats bilge. I still have it.