icehawk21

2013 Elite V C4...how much should I offer/pay?

mancho    85

Yeah I know, an hour doesn't seem that bad, but the dealer is tiny.... We needs huge centurion dealer in the metroplex. There is waaaayyy too many Malibu and master rafts on our lake. Lmao, auto correct, master rafts. That's my new nick name for those boats.

Kevin Baugh    78

Huge dealers don't happen over night they need customers to grow ;) get to know the dealer if you like the guy pitch in and help him grow

rawinnin    73

Huge dealers don't happen over night they need customers to grow ;) get to know the dealer if you like the guy pitch in and help him grow

X2 on what Kevin says. I have personally seen a dealer make a certain brand here in my state. Unfortunately it was not a centurion dealer but if I liked his brand then I would deal with him. I wish he would pick up Centurion then I would be in great shape.

Edited by rawinnin

icehawk21    1

Just an update...I ended up negotiating to $54,000. Offered $50,000, he countered with $54 and a comment that his cost was just above $53...which I believe based on the invoice/dealer cost listed on seedealercost.com. I considered countering lower but I didn't think he would go much below $54 (maybe $53-53.5) and the marginal utility of $500 - $1000 is much greater for him than it is for me. Overall, I'm happy with the price even though it's quite a bit more than I was originally planning to pay for a used boat. But there just isn't much used inventory for much less than $45-50k and that's still for a 4-5 year old boat. When I came across this 2013 Centurion Elite V C4 for $55 (+ tax) I thought that I was getting good value for the extra $8-10k that I'm spending...a new boat with full warranty, relationship with a dealer 10 minutes from my house + on-lake 'training' session where I can figure things out before this coming weekend!

However - I have only put a refundable deposit down subject to a lake test. If I'm not happy on the lake then I'll get my money back...although I don't think that will happen.

With all that said...what are the forum members' opinions on the Elite V C4? I'm completely new to boating...did not grow up boating so I don't have any experience to draw upon. I purchased this boat thinking that it will be a good family boat - something that we can wakesurf & tube and grow into over the next 8-10 years. I don't plan on upgrading as long as this meets our needs.

What are your opinions on the Elite V C4? Something that I can wakesurf with the kids without too much trouble (never going to become a professional - just need a fun wake)? I don't want to have to worry about fat sacs but I will upgrade the ballast in the rear lockers to help create a better wake.

Anyways...thoughts?

Thanks!

Bryan

Kevin Baugh    78

Excellent! I think you will love it!!

rawinnin    73

Excellent! I think you will love it!!

X2^^

It sounds like you are happy with the dealer also, this truly is a must because with him being 10mins away and you a new boat owner it will be a valuable source. Take advantage.

• Like 1

icehawk21    1

Thanks for the positive comments. The dealer being 10 minutes away is a huge bonus. He isn't a huge dealer in terms of boat sales but his bread and butter is service. In fact, he contracts out his service to other boat dealers.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Elite V C4 as a boat - particularly wakesurfing for the beginning family aiming to get better? As well as a general purpose sportboat? The Elite doesn't get as much press as the Enzo or Avalanche so I didn't have much Internet press to rely on when purchasing. My top choices were Tige, Centurion and Supreme since they are considered the top surf boats. Was really interested in the Tige R20 but the local dealer doesn't have any in stock that would be anywhere close to the price of this Elite.

Thoughts?

Edited by icehawk21

DarksideR    1,679

An Enzo or Avalanche are better surf boats. The EliteV is quite capable, and throws better waves than most boats I see on the lake, but still falls short of some others. The EliteV is VERY weight sensitive. This means people have to sit in specific spots and not move about too much to get the wave just right. Does the dealer have any Supreme v226's? That's supposed to be a killer surf boat, and shouldn't be too far off the EliteV price point. If I could do it over, I'd get a RH propped Enzo or a 226 or even a Tige RZ2. But... we've been very happy with our EliteV. Would have been happier if I surfed Reg! The Goofy wave is hard to dial in.

DarksideR    1,679

You will need to upgrade ballast to get a decent surf wave. Bare minimum is 750 in rear surf side locker, 4-500 in bag or ppl weight on surf side or rear seat, 250 center tank.

icehawk21    1

Thanks for the comments. I surf regular so unless the kids & wife surf goofy, we should be fine on that front. I don't need a pro wave - just something I can have some fun with while I learn and then something the kids can grow with. I was hoping not to have to do a sac/bag on the seat and just throw 750 in the rear lockers - and possibly some lead or a smaller bag under the surf seat.

I also wanted something a bit smaller my first time out. My first choice was a Tige RZR but in Calgary they are extremely expensive brand new. Even the used ones are asking 65-70 and there aren't that many. Same thing with the Supreme V226 - expensive (68-75) and not many used ones available. I almost purchased a used 2011 Supreme V208 with 50 hours for $45 but got snagged by another buyer at the last minute. And any other used boat that I even considered looking at that was reasonably priced was sold by the time I inquired. Was considering purchasing a 2012 Moomba LSV with 8 hours for $53 but it was 12 hours drive away and I was leery buying a used boat site unseen.

Now that I've settled on a price for a new Elite, I might see what the local dealers will offer on a Tige R20 loaded to about the same options. But I don't think it'll come close to the price I'm getting on the Elite.

I figure that with used V-Drive boat prices retaining their price so well in Calgary that if I outgrown this one in a few years, I should be able to recoup most of my upfront cost.

Having said that, I'd like to buy this boat thinking that it'll meet my needs for many years. I'm never going to be a pro wake-surfer - nothing more than an old out-of-shape 40-something trying to show his kids he's still young :)

Any other thoughts out there on the Elite before I pull the trigger?

chinocat    0

Pull the trigger! I am a fellow Calgarian, have a 2003 Elite V. Very happy with our boat and able to surf no problem behind it. The goofy wave is a little tricky to make but a regular one is not a problem. Definitely need some fat sacs though. We have 2/750 lbs for the lockers, 2/260 lbs for under seats or bow, and 1/150 lbs brick for wherever we need it. The newer ones also have the newer hull which helps with the wave making!

Good luck and happy surfing!

Not as pretty as a bigger boat but plenty of fun!

Brant

post-1039-0-09894500-1374465537_thumb.jpg

Edited by chinocat

zapisor    43

I have been in both the rzr and the elite, you will enjoy the elite more. As your surfing skills progress you will want more and more wave, the elite is very capable of doing that.

Seba and I are also in Alberta, Seba has an 08 elite that we run around 3400lbs in.... It throws a great wave. PM him if you would like more info.

zapisor    43

Ps,

if you bought that boat from Jeff at Absolute you can't go wrong, he represents the brand well. In a few years he will have a great dealership.

duramat    462

CONGRATS!! :thumbsup:

Ditto what Dark said. If you haven't been able to find an Avy, Enzo or 226 this Elite will do nicely :thumbsup:

Ballast...what's it coming with?

icehawk21    1

zapisor...i did purchase the boat from Jeff at Absolut. Seems like a good guy. He and I will be going out on the lake early this week to lake test/demo before final decision. And he's going to run through operating and trailering it with me. Thanks for the info on Seba - I'm sure I will be asking for info after purchase.

duramat - I believe it has a 250 mid hard tank and two 250-350 plumbed in the rear lockers. Not sure exact size but they don't appear to fill the entire locker. The dealer mentioned that most if not all buyers end up swapping for larger bags. I'm thinking 750s would fit nicely in there. I'm just trying to determine if I should purchase them now or wait until I've had some time with the boat.

What's everyone's thoughts on sac'ing out a 2013 Elite? I'd prefer to keep the sacs hidden. I'm considering getting a bow filler cushion so that I can put a sac underneath if required. And putting some weight under the seats.

Thought?

icehawk21    1

Another thing...how's the freeboard on this boat? My buddy has a Sanger 215 that I liked but has low freeboard. I'd prefer something with a bit more that still puts out a good surf wave.

duramat    462

As Dark mentioned, 750 in the rear will fit nicely, along with a 370 in the ski locker. Like he said, about 3-400 in peeps on the seat and have some duct tape on hand for the vent (you'll get water coming in otherwise) you want that rub rail kissing the the water.

Anything less than 750 in the rear ain't gonna cut it for surfing, period. My dealer set me up with 400's in the beginning and it was just frustrating and a waste of time.

Any , ANY chance of looking at an MB in your neck of the woods? I'm just trying to help ya out on all options to be considered. I'm not anti Elite V, I have one and love mine and does well for me and my needs and budget. Just tryin to to give you the biggest wave cause your gonna want it.

:thumbsup:

Define high altitude prop....537?

my .02 cents....don't have them put the optional hard tanks in the rear lockers. Leave those out and find a used sac and pump to get you by while you learn. Or just have the dealer plumb in new sacs instead of the hard tanks and call it good. You won't be satisfied with those small rear tanks that always take up locker space. Sac it and surf it!

As for the freeboard, I'm not sure if the 2013 has changed since the boats 5 years ago....but the Elite V had much less freeboard than other centurion models and some other brands. Some people are ok with that others aren't.

icehawk21    1

I have been in both the rzr and the elite, you will enjoy the elite more. As your surfing skills progress you will want more and more wave, the elite is very capable of doing that.

Seba and I are also in Alberta, Seba has an 08 elite that we run around 3400lbs in.... It throws a great wave. PM him if you would like more info.

zapisor - can you elaborate on what you mean that I will enjoy the Elite more than the RZR? Just curious!

icehawk21    1

my .02 cents....don't have them put the optional hard tanks in the rear lockers. Leave those out and find a used sac and pump to get you by while you learn. Or just have the dealer plumb in new sacs instead of the hard tanks and call it good. You won't be satisfied with those small rear tanks that always take up locker space. Sac it and surf it!

As for the freeboard, I'm not sure if the 2013 has changed since the boats 5 years ago....but the Elite V had much less freeboard than other centurion models and some other brands. Some people are ok with that others aren't.

The 2013 model comes with the Pro Ballast package that has two 250# fat sacs plumbed into the rear lockers (touchscreen switch, valves, pumps) as opposed to hard tanks. Very easy to replace the sacs with 750# sacs. The mid ballast is a hard tank in the hull below the deck that I presume is more difficult to modify.