wrsconcepts    1

I bought this boat 3 years ago and have been doing all of the ignored maintenance from the previous owner. The boat runs amazing but this year I took it out and the steering is extremely tight. I am going to start the troubleshooting tomorrow to make sure it is the cable and not something else. Where should I start with this? Is it possibly dry rudder shaft? The boat has never been beached and never hit any debris in the lake. Also I have the paddlewheel speedometer, is there any adjustment other than the 2 knobs on the dash or is it just the way it is for the speedometers to never sync?

post-5312-0-57056900-1371578419_thumb.jpg

post-5312-0-21684700-1371578436_thumb.jpg

post-5312-0-22325400-1371578461_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

kylesullens    3

Most likely the steering cable is shot. on a boat that old (mine is a '99), it is a good investment to replace it. Takes a novice mechanic about 2 hours. Also - make sure that your bilge is not filling with water. That is the primary reason for steering cable failure.

Also make sure the rudder is greased. That probably won't affect your steering, but is a good idea to keep that seal lubricated.

superdtf    68

Grease the rudder log, but prepare to replace the cable.

akaj3    0

• ccc_new_crew.png
  • 1 posts
  • Boat: Avalanche C4

Posted Today, 08:00 AM

I bought my 2007 Avalanche c-4 two years ago. Steering wheel was very hard to turn. ended up replacing the steering cable after that you could turn the wheel with one finger. Now it is hard to steer again. does anyone know if there is any manufacturers that make a cable that can be lubricated? It seems to be a no brained to have a zerk fitting some where to keep this thing moving easily. we tried greasing the shaft at the rutter end but not realy helping.

kylesullens    3

The only major manufacturer that makes cables for these boats (that I know of) is Teleflex. Their cables are not designed to be lubrciated. They are also not designed to have the ends submerged, which often happens on a busy day on the water.