Darlene

Depth finder alarm won't shut off and speedometer isn't working.

Darlene    0

Have a multifunction speedometer gauge on my 2004 escalade. All gauges seem to work
except the speedometer when we get up to 15 mph it pegs all the way
open. Also our depth finder keeps alarming. I have cleared it and
reset it, but when it comes on it starts that horrible beep. I went through and
tried to reset the depth alarms but once in the water it just keeps going off.

The boat seems to be running fine. Not sure where to go from here. Do you have any suggestions?
I don't think we have perfect pass, but the multifunction depth finder has temp, knots, time.

post-2849-0-37678700-1371272984_thumb.jpg

Waterdog14    3

I had similar issues from that Multifunction gauge. I ended up removing it and put a depth, water and air temperature gauge in it's place. Those gauges are well known for failure and causing gauge malfunctions and constant beeping. I think most people just remove them and replace them with a depth gauge like I did. Since it is a Faria gauge you can send it in and have repaired for around $65. If you replace it with a depth gauge I bet your speedometer problems will go away.

Edited by Waterdog14
  • Like 1

Darlene    0

Really! So one will make the other malfunction? If we unplug it, will that let the speedometer work?

CeeDee    16

I had similar issues from that Multifunction gauge. I ended up removing it and put a depth, water and air temperature gauge in it's place. Those gauges are well known for failure and causing gauge malfunctions and constant beeping. I think most people just remove them and replace them with a depth gauge like I did. Since it is a Faria gauge you can send it in and have repaired for around $65. If you replace it with a depth gauge I bet your speedometer problems will go away.

What gauge did you put in there ? Was it the same hole size ? Pic's ???

tntwescott    1

^^^^^ Good Question. I would love nothing more than to remove that Faria gauge and replace it with something that functions correctly.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

It sounds like a paddle wheel/transducer issue to me...

It provides speed, depth, and temp input to your gauges.

Edited by Troy. R
  • Like 1

Darlene    0

Put the boat away for the winter, and now we have it out again wanting to get the same issue fixed. Nothing like waiting till water time to get back to it. What is the paddle wheel transducer, or better yet where is it? Does the user manual show it? Plus from what I have been reading from other posts is it best to get rid of the faria pilot system.

RhuntIII    555

Speed wheel should be just upfront of the v-drive at least it is on a 2002 Avy. I'll dig for some pics of mine and post up.

RhuntIII    555

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/5596-2002-avy-mods-ballast-salt-water/

Post three shows pics of the speed wheel inside and out. The depth finder on my boat is under the engine close to the fuel filters (port side) others have mentioned that you can remove the top of the depth finder and add water or antifreeze so to send out and receive a good signal. I do not have photos of the depth finder.

Edited by RhuntIII

Darlene    0

Got it, will check it out, plus if we wanted to put a different gauge than the Faria, what is a good gauge to use and will it be compatible with the speed wheel? Thank you!

Darlene    0

Thank you for the pics, I was online registering for faria and got to thinking do we have to put that particular product back in or can we use something different.

RhuntIII    555

Now that I'm thinking about it the depth gauge has an alarm that you can set to go off at a certain depth. Maybe your's is on a wrong setting. I just had the wheel replaced in my boat and now all the speeds are off. Keep that in mind when swapping parts. good luck.

Edited by RhuntIII

Darlene    0

I went through and reset all the depths for the alarms. It won't hold the functions. It will cost about 150 to sent the faria off to be repaired if it is bad, but I was thinking is there a better gauge to put in. This you have to send to them and they repair then send back from what I understand.

Bongo Fury    640

We loved our Faria gauges on our Falcon. Always worked like a champ.....factory finish to the boat to.....

Edited by Bongo Fury

Nick213    583

We loved our Faria gauges on our Falcon. Always worked like a champ.....factory finish to the boat to.....

LOL really?!?!!?

Mine KINDA works most of the time but, acts funny with the volts, speed,and screen selections.

What gauge did you have bongo?

Mine is that multi function one (in pic below) that's known to go bad :(

I think as most have said "it's on borrowed time"

post-4481-0-63603400-1399958482_thumb.jpg

RhuntIII    555

This is was I would love to install on my boat.

http://faria-instruments.com/products.php?calledGauge=2_depthsndr

Above will cover the gauge that will measure depth and water temp.

http://faria-instruments.com/products.php?calledGauge=4_trans

Above is the transducers.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/store/category/12-stargazer-perfect-pass/

Above is the new Stargazer Wake addition. This will give you GPS Speed and cruse control.

These are mods I was looking into for my 2002 Avy. Darlene, This might head you in the right direction.

Bigcatpt    408

I still have the pilot 1 gauge in my boat as well. It still works like a champ for the functions that I want it to work for. I only use it for depth and water temp. It used to work well for speed but now it does not work too well for that....but neither does my speedometer. so I suspect my paddlewheel is burned out. But I really don't care about that because I have PP stargazer and use the speed on that which is always accurate.

If your depth alarm continues to sound you may want to try something. Sometimes when my depth gauge is not reading well I have to do a little service on the transducer. My transducer is located on the port side attached to the inside of the hull under the motor. If I turn the transducer about an 1/8 turn is comes out of the housing that attaches it to the hull. The housing is supposed to be filled with a fluid in order to transmit the sound waves through the hull. They suggest a mineral oil or other fluid. I use pink RV antifreeze in mine. When I take mine apart to fill it, I always clean it out (both the housing, the hull of the boat, and the face of the transducer) because it usually get a little grimy. I use a good degreaser like full strength simple green. Then I fill the housing with pink antifreeze and put the transducer back in and 1/8 turn clicks it into place. Then my depth starts working again.

My Pilot 1 gauge remembers my settings for depth alarms even when I turn it off.

If and when my gauge finally goes out, I will get a depth and water temp gauge from faria (like Rhunt posted). to replace it.

• Like 1