Chrisj4207    18

Great Mod Chris!! I'm in the process of doing this mod on my 233. They have no gussets that support the new upturned wings on the new FX22 plate. I see Chris built in two gussets on his steel version. However the new FX22 looks like its made from aluminium and they don't have any gussets or supports. What gauge(thickness) of stainless or aluminum would you think is required to remove the gussets and still maintain rigidity?

Are you gonna use the existing plate??its hard to make a 70 degree bend on 1/8 inch thick metal so my father in law beefed them up,The stainless plates I bought are 1/8th in thick, I'm thinking about buyin 1 big piece and bending it like the fx-22 plate and rewelding the c bracket and hindge but in stainless ,it seems super strong. I would think aluminum would have slightly bit of flex. I measured how much the plate actually goes down and it's not much

Centurion I think has plates for the 233 I think

mac19    4

Yes i'm going to use the existing plate and fab up the same wing extensions you have built and bolt them on. I'm definitely going to use stainless probably, 12 gauge or heavier. My plan was to get our local Fab shop where I will buy the stainless to bend the 70 degree angle on their break. I definitely don't have the the equipment to bend it. The only reason I mentioned aluminum was I thought the pic in the measurement thread looked like aluminum. What's your thoughts on extending the wings now that you have used your extensions. If you did make them wider how wide would you go?

Edited by mac19

Chrisj4207    18

Chris, I would be interested in buying your steel plates if you make new ones from stainless, would you be interested In Selling them? Would they fit the Bennett trim tab?

I'll let ya know when I get started on the new ones in might be a little while. Your right surf vd will probably do the trick

What year is your 230

Chrisj4207    18

Yes i'm going to use the existing plate and fab up the same wing extensions you have built and bolt them on. I'm definitely going to use stainless probably, 12 gauge or heavier. My plan was to get our local Fab shop where I will buy the stainless to bend the 70 degree angle on their break. I definitely don't have the the equipment to bend it. The only reason I mentioned aluminum was I thought the pic in the measurement thread looked like aluminum. What's your thoughts on extending the wings now that you have used your extensions. If you did make them wider how wide would you go?

Ya I think the fx22 plate is aluminum, aluminum would work,The steel I used was 1/8 inch 12 gauge, I think if you can get that bend which is around 70 to 77 degrees not exactly sure what degree. I used the template to get the angle on the weld. I slightly bent the template above the bottom of the boat at a level position on the Bennett trim tab so that the wings wouldn't drag under the boat.

I'm thinking about extending them another 2 inches ,But they work pretty good to the specs of the fx22 6.5 inches wide

Chrisj4207    18

Ya I think the fx22 plate is aluminum, aluminum would work,The steel I used was 1/8 inch 12 gauge, I think if you can get that bend which is around 70 to 77 degrees not exactly sure what degree. I used the template to get the angle on the weld. I slightly bent the template above the bottom of the boat at a level position on the Bennett trim tab so that the wings wouldn't drag under the boat.

I'm thinking about extending them another 2 inches ,But they work pretty good to the specs of the fx22 6.5 inches wide

If you can get that bend you won't need the braces I think they would be strong enough

phillewis    39

dude, looks totally awesome! I'm in the process of fabbing a wing plate for my Avy... but I'm going from the stock manual plate, so I'm having to install the Lenco arm also. I'm wondering about range of movemet, and where the fully-retracted position is? Like, how far up from level (even with the hull angle) does your plate sit when all the way up? And, how far down (below the hull angle) does it go? Any help would be appreciated, aiming to start drilling holes later today...

tombugg    7

Chris, my Enzo is a 2004, I will probably have my buddy fab mine this month.

Thanks for taking this on and showing us all how easy it is. I think it will still help and will help to clean up my regular wake for guests.

Tom

• Like 1

duffymahoney    10

If you want an awesome goofy wave you should still do the v-drive reverse. In my humble opinion.

tombugg    7

Duff,

V-Drive is scheduled to be delivered some time today.. sitting at home at this very minute waiting on the UPS guy like a little boy on Christmas Eve.. Boat is in the shop awaiting the new trany, V-Drive and Prop.. I should have it out of the shop mid next week.

Just in time for Memorial day weekend.. (Which we hate at our lake,.. Other than to go hang out at the party cove and check the boobies. :shock: :shock: :shock: )

But, I doubt we will get to surf it unless I can get it out one evening next week... Hmmmm... :thumbsup:

Edited by tombugg

tombugg    7

Okay,.. I'm so over this roller coaster.. Box just arrived at my door and I open it up all excited to find that they sent me a FU<%ING Left hand rotation V-Drive?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!? Cant even describe how pissed I am right now...

ERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RVR-RAT    269

Okay,.. I'm so over this roller coaster.. Box just arrived at my door and I open it up all excited to find that they sent me a FU<%ING Left hand rotation V-Drive?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!? Cant even describe how pissed I am right now...

ERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://fozzy42.com/SoundClips/TV/HomersDoh.wav

Sorry to hear the bad news.

tombugg    7

I can only hope that they plated it wrong.. By looking at the diagram that came with it it looks like the idler gear version (Which is the right hand rotation) .. I duno..

Chrisj4207    18

If you want an awesome goofy wave you should still do the v-drive reverse. In my humble opinion.

Do you have a reverse v drive???

Got pics???

Chrisj4207    18

Chris, my Enzo is a 2004, I will probably have my buddy fab mine this month.

Thanks for taking this on and showing us all how easy it is. I think it will still help and will help to clean up my regular wake for guests.

Tom

True that good luck

Chrisj4207    18

dude, looks totally awesome! I'm in the process of fabbing a wing plate for my Avy... but I'm going from the stock manual plate, so I'm having to install the Lenco arm also. I'm wondering about range of movemet, and where the fully-retracted position is? Like, how far up from level (even with the hull angle) does your plate sit when all the way up? And, how far down (below the hull angle) does it go? Any help would be appreciated, aiming to start drilling holes later today...

thanksThe Lenco doesn't move the plate to far up and down on my 2011 230, but I've seen it move more with a modification and some older versions.

It goes up maybe an 1.5 inches and down the same its not much but seems affective

I hope that helps

Surfs up

tombugg    7

It was the "Right" one after all. For some reason they must have moded a left hand drive and didn't change the Part number plate. Now I am just installing all of my ballast stuff at home. (My prop hasn't come in yet.. :( ) I might get lucky and pick up my spare tomorrow morn if, I do we will be on the water tomorrow!! I will try to get some pics.

tombugg    7

By the way RVR,.. Thanks for making me smile.. The Dohhhh was perfect.. I was fell'n a bit Homer.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Well THAT'S good news that its a RH drive after all! Can't wait to see the results!

Chrisj4207    18

looks good buddy, can't wait to surf it!! :surfing2:

Yeah buddy it's on todaywind is supposed to die down

Surfs up

strev    26

Yeah buddy it's on todaywind is supposed to die down

Surfs up

thanks again chris, i had a blast out there with you guys yesterday!!... still cant believe how much the winged plate cleaned up the wave!