truekaotik    458

Ok for those of you who's vdrives are leaking but you want to make sure FIRST it needs removed. Here is some info I got from the vdrive manufacturer...

He stated that a vdrive shouldn't leak from any orifice by design and if it does, follow these steps to find the culprit... It should only need pulled to replace the main seal to the shaft if damaged and leaking a drip ever second..

All this is hand tighten specs..

1. Wipe the vdrive and floor under completely free of oil.

2. Make sure all oil plugs and hoses are tight.

3. Make sure the 4 9/16 pan bolts are tight. Easiest to use a wench for most of this.

4. Make sure all coupler bolts are tight.

5. make sure all top pan bolts are tight.

6. Make sure the 4 bolts of the shaft plate are tight...

7. Check oil level and correct then re-wipe down the vdrive.

8. (Optional) place a white piece of paper under drive and let sit for a day or so to see if you found the culprit..

He said you should check them at the beginning of EVERY season..

This fixed my severe leak issue, I passed it onto a couple other crew members and it worked for them. Saving the hassle of pulling the vdrive or the expense... I hope this helps some with minor/major oil leaks that were noticed in the bilge stemming from the vdrive...

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 2

Spud    7

Nice write up True, after you shared this info and I did this to mine it mitigated the leaks I had. Each loose took a 1/4 turn and since then clean as new !! Good job and thanks again.

Edited by Spud

Troy. R    198

Nice True. I'll have to add this to my checklist.

Bigcatpt    408

my project for this weekend! Thanks!

truekaotik    458

It has been a week and a half since I did this and still no leak on my white paper I have under it. I'm thinking problem solved :)

enzo on LI    79

I am going to have to check mine now as i believe there is the occasional drip here and there. Thanks

Bigcatpt    408

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I don't think I followed these directions exactly but I tighten up everything I could find under there and cleaned it all up real good. Then I put a piece of paper under there and left it for 2 days. Came back and still had a VERY slow leak (like 4 drops) from 2 different places which was a HUGE improvement from before. I found 2 more bolts underneath on the pan front edge that I had missed before that were loose and tightened them up and waited for 2 more days. NO MORE DRIPS!!!!!!! YAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOO! So happy about this!

Thanks True! You da man!!!!!

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

This is awesome info! If only someone would post the schematic for the vdrive so that I would know whats what... I think going Big's route and just tightening every dang bolt I can find will suffice though.

Fingers crossed gents!

Bigcatpt    408

Go by brail. Just feel around down there and tighten any that are loose. There were 3 or 4 of mine on the bottom that hold the pan on that were really loose.

truekaotik    458

Go by Brail and you will be fine like Big said... There really is no sequence or order, just tighten everything you can and make sure to check the coupler bolts ( the bolts that hold the shaft into vdrive)... You got this Dark...

Edited by truekaotik

HI ,just wanted to add i had to do this today and i used a flat mirror as well as a telescoping dentist mirror. just slid it underneath v drive and you can see everything. for anyone else who has to do it.

• Like 1

mowitlow    0

Good post from almost 10 years ago!

I’m headed outside to see if this fixes my leaky v drive on my Enzo?

Troy. R    198
On 1/7/2023 at 2:05 PM, mowitlow said:

Good post from almost 10 years ago!

I’m headed outside to see if this fixes my leaky v drive on my Enzo?

There is SO MUCH good info on this site. Particularly for older boats. With a properly worded  search, you can find pretty much anything you'd want to know about your Enzo. This place was hoppin' back in the day. I sold my last boat in 2016 and stopped coming here at that point. Bought a new boat in 2020 and when I came back it looks like everyone has migrated over the facebook. I have never had, and refuse to create a facebook account, so this site is it for me.