Sign in to follow this  
uga33

Centurion Fin Adjustment

uga33    0

I love my Avalanche, but I'm sick of my port side wake washing out. My starboard wake is very clean. I want port side wake the same. Has anybody tried the fin adjustment themselves. I have tried it but with no luck. Maybe share your weight distrubution on your Avalanche. I only ride with stock triple tank ballast.

VaBeachBum    0

I have watched the fin adjustment go down, and it scares me!

I normally just adjust the ballast to make it work. I do have one 50lb lead weight in the bow under the port side cushion.

How bad is the wash on the port side? I think just adding a little extra weight to that side will smooth it out.

Bigshow    0

I made an extreme fin adjustment experiment on my old lightning for specifically for wakesurfing. I built two fins with +/- 5 and +/- 10 degree offsets. I installed one and two fins. I made the best ever goofy surfing wake with one fin set to 5 degrees.

post-47-1205881268_thumb.jpg

post-47-1205881421_thumb.jpg

post-47-1205881486_thumb.jpg

post-47-1205881713_thumb.jpg

Removing the fins is really easy. However you have to bolt something else in place of the fins or you’re going to take on some serious water.

I think there’s a very simple solution to this recurring Avalanche problem. Replace an adjustable center wakeplate with independent and adjustable left and right wakeplates. It would be easy to trim up your wake with trim tabs. I think this system would also balance out the difference between port and starboard surfing wakes.

Adding left and right trim tabs is on the to-do list for the Mighty Enzo, but I’m not sure I’ll get to it this season.

Recurring Avalanche wake problem....what????? Ed you make a great point with the trim tabs, but I doubt that will happen. I have seen the issue with Elite V C4's and AVY's that were produced 06 and back. The 07 Avy that I have for a demo was one of the most perfect wakes I have ridden and I don't mean just in the Centurion line. I wish I knew how to help, but we are going through trial and error process ourselves. You can try adding weight to the port side, but from our experiences it works about 50% of the time. Do you have a hydraulic trim tab?

George A    0

I had an 05 Avy for 2 years. We found it took about 150 pounds of extra weight on the port side to clean the wake. It was a little flustrating to constantly have to watch the weight balance. I have several 40 pound lead blocks that we moved around everytime a person moved.

Bigshow    0

My trim tab is fixed.

I've only surfed behind an Avy so I don't have wakeboard wake experience. I have read on WW several times about Avy wake balance issues.

uga33    0

I have the manual wake plate on mine. I have played with a couple of times, but with no luck. The centurion rep told me how to do this with 12lb sledge hammer, but I think I'm just scared to rare back and hit hard enough. I thought about changing my rear hardtanks out with bigger ballast bags so I can have a little more control over weight, or I thought about taking the fins off and offsetting the anchor holes about a 1/4" inch.

Port wake boarding wake: on our previous centurion we had our passengers trained to watch the wake and move when it washed. We had luck getting it pretty clean with 50lb under the rear ballast and 75 lb in the front of the port observers seat locker.

I would not feel comfortable banging a fin mounted to the boat. If you really want to adjust the fin, consider taking it off, putting it in a vise, then reinstalling it with fresh sealant when done.

wakeupnride    0
I have the manual wake plate on mine. I have played with a couple of times, but with no luck. The centurion rep told me how to do this with 12lb sledge hammer, but I think I'm just scared to rare back and hit hard enough. I thought about changing my rear hardtanks out with bigger ballast bags so I can have a little more control over weight, or I thought about taking the fins off and offsetting the anchor holes about a 1/4" inch.

I hope that rep was joking... I'm sure he was. I like to put a few down, but how many does it take to take a swing with a 12lb. sledge hammer into that boat.... Well I guess its your boat so it doesnt take as many as mine..... :D