brentwerst

engine problems with air warrior (help)

brentwerst    0

Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 air warrior with only about 95 hours on it (I haven't looked lately). Well the problem I'm having is that the boat starts up fine and idles great, then just about the time I idle out to the middle of the lake (10 mins. or so), the boat goes to idling real rough and will not rev past 1500. Even so the revving is really rough too. This has only happened twice. It happened last year about mid summer, I was hauling across the lake, maybe 35 or 38 mph and the boat died down to a rough idle and like I said hardly revved. So turned off the boat and checked to see if the boat had any fuel pressure by depressing the valve on the fuel rail and the gas that came out was really dirty looking. So at that point i summed it up to be bad gas. I actually idled home and right before I pulled into the dock, the boat started running great again. So I filled the boat with good gas and some fuel treatment and never had a problem again until today when I took the boat out for the first time this year and it happened again. Checked the gas again and it was bad looking as well, but not as bad as the first time and also I never got the boat running good this time. I want to say that yes, it is bad gas, but when the boat was winterized the fuel in the boat was treated. I'm gonna go ahead and drain out the gas and put in good stuff, but I was wondering if anyone else is having any issues like this at all or maybe if I'm going in the wrong direction and its not really a gas issue. Any feedback would be great! The boat has been taken care of mechanically and really has low hours to be causing any trouble mechanically.

Thanks,

Brent

I had a car like this once, literally replaced every ignition related component in the thing, finally replced the fuel tank and never had a problem again.

We filled it with water and cut it open and build up in it was un-real - that being said, boats have plastic ones so I wouldn't expect the same... but I'm sure weirder stuff has happened...

Edited by Spur Valley Surfer

Joe B    17

Good start with good gas and some fuel treatment. My first tank of the year I put in some high octane gas just to be safe of gas sitting over the winter even with Stabil in the tank.

Make sure your oil level is topped off. The sensor on my boat is pretty sensitive to anything under 3/4 full.

If it still happens, have a Merc mechanic get a read out. A lot of sensors could be the problem.

brentwerst    0

thanks for the input guys. I'm not going to be able to mess with it until this weekend, but I think I have a few good ideas. If that doesn't work then I'll take it to the dealer and get raped.

Thanks,

Brent

GOBIG    4

Have you checked the fuel filter. There is also a fuel and water seperator on most boats haven't checked to make sure there is one on my centurion but that is where I would start.

Spud    7

I would try to look at your tank, as previously mentioned for build up. I had this prob with a '01 Bayliner. Lines and filter were jacked up as well with Mong Chow. About 4 -6 months later the gas station I used dug up and replaced their tanks. oscar the grouches, we had a lot of boats in this community with 2 gas stations avail.

David    0

If its not the fuel, I would start looking at temperature sensors. I had an a older brendella with a PCM motor that would run great until it got warm then it would start having issues. Turned out it was a temperature sensor that went bad. The computer would shut the motor down to protect it from overheating. Once the boat cooled off it would fire right back up and run for another 20 min.

Edited by David

pasmithy    0

I had a fuel pump go at 30 hours. My boat was doing the same as yours. Luckily mine was under warranty. Unluckily, the mechanic just automatically switched out the pump and didn't bother to test the boat. Well, there are two pumps and he switched the wrong one out. I realized he didn't get it right as soon as I cleared the no wake zone. I had to turn right around and take it back. I wasn't a happy camper. I hope you have better luck.

brentwerst    0

Thanks guys for all the help. I did end up replacing the fuel in the boat and used and additive, but it still did not change. I took the boat to the dealer and as soon as I arrived the boat ran great. Took the boat back home and it happened the first time out not even 100 yards from my house. All that said, it ended up being the fuel pump. Only cost $95 and a head ache. Runs great now. But I just wanted to let everyone that helped know what the problem was. Thanks for the help.

Peace,

Brent

WakeDirt    19

I agree bad fuel(tenth person) I run a inline clear fule filter...(2.00$) and they really help to get an idea what is going in my motor you can literally see the flow to the motor, and when its slow and tricklin' its time for a new 2.00 pre filter!

jshayerT5    0

I have a 06 AW. Have you pulled the gas tank yet? Might have some debris in it. If so that stuff gets sucked into your fuel system and can be a headache. The gas tank is easy to get to. Its located under the rear hatch. Just a few screws need to be removed and the false floor comes out. Might be worth a days work to clean it out.