Socially Distorted

New Exile XM9/Harpoon Tower Setup

With the Black Friday deal and now the wholesale deal Exile threw out over the past couple weeks, I was able to get my tower setup well under way with a set of XM9's and a Harpoon to start out with for a lot less than what I was expecting to have to shell out later in Spring. I'm pretty stoked and looking forward to a complete rewire and tune of my stereo. Probably going to build a new enclosure for my sub while I'm at it.

Still need to get a ZLD to use for tower/cabin level control and line balancing.

Brianinpdx    0

SD - congrats on your tower upgrade. If you need any help tuning or getting it dialed in (gain adj etc), make sure to hit up Rob or myself. Rob is usually on our website live... I'm usually can be found at the office.

The ZLD you mentioned will dramatically change how you tune the boat from a gain adj point of view. If thats something you add at a later date, make SURE to turn all the amp gains down.

-Brian

SD - congrats on your tower upgrade. If you need any help tuning or getting it dialed in (gain adj etc), make sure to hit up Rob or myself. Rob is usually on our website live... I'm usually can be found at the office.

The ZLD you mentioned will dramatically change how you tune the boat from a gain adj point of view. If thats something you add at a later date, make SURE to turn all the amp gains down.

-Brian

Thanks Brian - I'll be in touch once I get closer to my install date. Planning on getting the ZLD before the install so it will all go in at the same time. I've currently got a Kicker KQ30 that I have managing my in-boat speaker levels and line voltage. I was planning on taking it out of the equation (replacing it with the ZLD) rather than add a second one to manage the tower along with a basic zone controller. Any thoughts on which path would be better. The up side for me is that everything at my finger tips from in-boat, tower and sub... The down side is the fine adjustments in frequency I'll be walking away from.

truekaotik    458

You'll just want the ZLD social... Sell the kicker piece...

You'll just want the ZLD social... Sell the kicker piece...

Yep - planning on it True. The ZLD (WS420 or AudioControl Three.2) all offer a great control package IMO. The KQ30 did the job for when I didn't have 2 zones. It's time to step up to the right hardware now.

Brianinpdx    0

SD - I dont see the point in putting a 30 band EQ in a boat. I see a lot move value in the Zone Control abilities that the three models you mentioned. Hands down thats the right way to go. Punt the 30 band. I really dont want to get into a brand fight about ws/exile/audio control. They all are great product. And my advice earlier about amplifier gains, would go for any of those products. Number 1 tech call we receive is from guys that install a ZLD and his system is to "sensitive" after the install. All these products allow you to turn your amp gains down considerably. Read -- "eliminate noise floor".

-Brian

Wylie_Tunes    146

SD,

If you are happy with the tuning flexibility of currently installed Kicker KQ30 and true zone volume control is the missing piece to your system, then take a look at the Kicker ZXM-RLC Dual Zone Controller. It is a 9V p/chnl line driver and offers true independent zone volume control. No long RCA runs. The knobs can actually be removed from their pods and mounted though a panel for a cleaner, more discrete look.

Edited by Wylie_Tunes

truekaotik    458

Yep - planning on it True. The ZLD (WS420 or AudioControl Three.2) all offer a great control package IMO. The KQ30 did the job for when I didn't have 2 zones. It's time to step up to the right hardware now.

Good deal bro... Do your homework on them 3 ;) have questions ask!

WakeDoc    471

For $99 more I would go with the Wet Sounds WS420, it gives you independent tuning and volume control over the tower and interior speakers, which is great. The best part is having a mic to talk over the tower speakers, this feature alone makes it worth it to me. This feature allows you to communicate with the rider or other boats in the area. Pushing the button on the mic automatically mutes the volume of what is playing by 75% from the tower speakers and allows you to use your tower speakers as a PA. Release the mic button and the volume to the tower speakers will begin slowly ramp up to play again at the level they were at. It is great when you have a new rider you are teaching a new board sport to and are able to talk over the tower speakers and explain what they need to do instead of screaming at them, we added a splitter and bought a second mic for people in the elsewhere in the boat to use. Ever launched the boat and forgot you sunglasses in the tow vehicle, just turn the volume up a little and use the mic to ask them to grab your glasses or direct someone not used to backing down the ramp, tons of ways that the mic over the tower feature is useful. The other great feature is the input and output/boat link option, this gives you the ability to hook a ipod/etc. directly into the WS420 and the output gives you the option to link to another boat so you can both play the same tunes. The WS420 is one of the few things on the boat that is a must have for us, ask anyone on the crew that has one.

DavidEM    1

Provided you know how to set up this type of EQ, I can see many (a laundry list of) reasons to maintain a 30-band EQ for the in-boat zone, especially considering you already own it. What a luxury to have. The Kicker line driver set would provide the crucial, quick access and conveniently placed dual zone controls.

Now the Wetsounds EQ does give you extra features to consider like dual zone EQs in one chassis. Contrastly, a single zone EQ can't address both the tower and in-boat zones simultaneously so what exactly is the point? The Wetsounds EQ can do this plus gives you a paragraphic bass EQ that allows adjustment of both boost/cut AND be able to slide the center frequency lower/higher.

David

truekaotik    458
For $99 more I would go with the Wet Sounds WS420, it gives you independent tuning and volume control over the tower and interior speakers, which is great. The best part is having a mic to talk over the tower speakers, this feature alone makes it worth it to me. This feature allows you to communicate with the rider or other boats in the area. Pushing the button on the mic automatically mutes the volume of what is playing by 75% from the tower speakers and allows you to use your tower speakers as a PA. Release the mic button and the volume to the tower speakers will begin slowly ramp up to play again at the level they were at. It is great when you have a new rider you are teaching a new board sport to and are able to talk over the tower speakers and explain what they need to do instead of screaming at them, we added a splitter and bought a second mic for people in the elsewhere in the boat to use. Ever launched the boat and forgot you sunglasses in the tow vehicle, just turn the volume up a little and use the mic to ask them to grab your glasses or direct someone not used to backing down the ramp, tons of ways that the mic over the tower feature is useful. The other great feature is the input and output/boat link option, this gives you the ability to hook a ipod/etc. directly into the WS420 and the output gives you the option to link to another boat so you can both play the same tunes. The WS420 is one of the few things on the boat that is a must have for us, ask anyone on the crew that has one.

Thanks :) I wasn't gonna be the first one to say the ws420 is far superior to any of the EQs mentioned for what it sounds like he wants... Social,

If your not particular to Exile ( which from your first post, it seemed) the 420 is a fun ( mic) and functional ( dual zone eq, true tower /inboat separation, descrete line driver, aux in, link capable, ect..) piece to add to any system, no matter the other brand name components...

DavidEM    1

I hate to see the Exile ZLD to Wetsounds WS420 EQ comparisons. To me, once having inspected both side by side, on the build quality alone, the Exile is not within $199 of the same Wetsounds league. Huge differences. Unfortunately most will never get to make the direct comparison and do not really understand what's inside these two units.

David

truekaotik    458
I hate to see the Exile ZLD to Wetsounds WS420 EQ comparisons. To me, once having inspected both side by side, on the build quality alone, the Exile is not within $199 of the same Wetsounds league. Huge differences. Unfortunately most will never get to make the direct comparison and do not really understand what's inside these two units.

David

Agree completely ;). Watch who you try to explain what makes them so different from each other... Lol

you know what I'm talking about... :-/

DavidEM    1

Agree completely ;). Watch who you try to explain what makes them so different from each other... Lol

you know what I'm talking about... :-/

Don't sweat it. It's not in my nature to make statements without being able to substantiate every nano detail.

David

Thanks for everyone's input. Aside from the features between the in dash EQ's, what are the highlights in build quality? I've used older AudioControl gear without issues, however both Exile and WetSounds are new brand makes to me.

duramat    462

The WS420 is the bomb. The mic alone has come in handy MANY times. Comes in handy trying to get kids to smile for the camera when wakeboarding or tubing. Love the mic feature.

DavidEM    1

SD,

The Wetsounds has a sealed top chassis. They learned to change this in one of their intial revisions because this is the number one point of water entry. Exile has multiple open ports up top. The Wetsounds EQ is conformally coated. Not on the Exile.

The Wetsounds has a series of control pots across the face panel that are sealed in castings. The pot wafers of the Exile are clamped with a thin stamping that leaves the internals somewhat exposed. The better amplifiers went away from this cheaper style pot ages ago. So eventual corrosion is a real concern.

You will also notice that Wetsounds made an early revision to use chassis-mount sealed switches (you can actually see the nuts) on the face panel to resist water damage. No so with Exile.

Here is the biggy. Wetsounds wisely chassis mounts ALL of the rear panel RCAs as a strain relief. ALL the Exile RCA jacks are floated from the chassis and just soldered to the internal circuit board. Then the board ends slide through the chassis. Why so important? Because heavy RCA cables in an environment filled with shock and vibration will eventually fracture those fragile solder joints. Anyone who plugged in and out expensive and super tight-fitting RCA cables into a cheap VCR quickly learned that they lost picture or sound. So they had to use the cheapest RCA cables. But this won't save you from shock and vibration. Wetsounds personnel have a ProSound background and anticipated these issues in advance.

The Wetsounds EQ was designed by Wetsounds specifically for the harsh marine environment. They made quite an investment in build quality so consumers would have a lasting value.

The Exile uses the Absolute EQ400 car stereo EQ platform. It's been around since the early 90's and is shared by many other companies. The Absolute EQ400 has a consumer price of 50 bucks. Are the Exile knobs in a little different locations, are the knobs a little larger, and is the internal circuit board re-arranged? Sure. But the inside topology (circuit path) of the Exile ZLD and Absolute EQ400 are identical, trace by trace by trace. Again, a $50 EQ.

The Wetsounds has six discrete output drivers. The Exile has but four. The fullrange stereo IC chip is split with a passive fader between the in-boat and tower zone.

That's a start.

David

truekaotik    458

Dang, you left me nothing :) but, what about the mic system??? it is slammed into the same chassis and receives its power source from inside the the 420. why is this cool and a look into the build quality? normal mic systems require more than 12v.. plus what docs pointed out, automatically senses the button and lowers and raises (not cuts it off) the volume... marine grade microphone, the controls on the front panel are smooth and solid feeling, the two switches on the front are higher grade rubber and cap screwed design.... Its unique, for sure... thats all I got, he pretty much slayed the layout.... Im not a super stereo nerd :-P "hillbilly" comes to mind....

Thanks David. Much more comprehensive answer than "it's better" or "it's the bomb".

DavidEM    1

Thanks David. Much more comprehensive answer than "it's better" or "it's the bomb".

Yeah, "it's the bomb" might imply that I'm hip....which couldn't be farther from the case. But, hey, I'm still working on it.

David