So now that it's nice out, got the project started....

We currently have the 2 - 250lb hard tanks midship (under seats) - they are staying, and adding 750lbs to the lockers. will likely use some 400's on top to play with..

Going to the leave the stock pump in for now, but will likely change later. I am hard wiring/plumbing the bags in, so I will post here as I go...

Taking the stock filter out, and replacing with a 1" upstream of the pump, instead of down...

Stock pictures below.

tgaugh    2

Good work on the walk-thru on the sac additions SVS, for anyone considering it, this will be a great reference. I remember how much fun this was! :huh:

New Manifold..

Isn't exactly what I had in mind when I started out, but due to parts availability at the local home depot/everywhere else in Calgary incl. plumbing suppliers, it is what it is....

Next step, mount drain pumps...

post-269-1237744077_thumb.jpg

post-269-1237744137_thumb.jpg

zapisor    43
New Manifold..

Isn't exactly what I had in mind when I started out, but due to parts availability at the local home depot/everywhere else in Calgary incl. plumbing suppliers, it is what it is....

Next step, mount drain pumps...

Nice work are you going to install rocker switches on the dash to control a 4 valves? if so are they cencturion ones? and where did you get them?

I had the dealer here in Calgary (Renfrew) order me the switches (Contura SPDT (Single Poll Double Throw))

They were $34 each, but they came with the proper labelled actuator on the top (port/stbd fill/empty etc)- the switch bodies themselves can be picked up pretty cheap online ~$10 - but then you have to find the fancy actuators for the top. Someone told me where to get them once, but I forgot....

I'll be attaching a wiring diagram when I get it to it, to show the relays etc. Thing that dawned on me the other day... each switch operates a valve and the common fill pump in the fill position, but each of the valve circuits need to be isolated so that your not firing open all the valves from every switch...

Edited by Spur Valley Surfer

zapisor    43
Well looks like the weather isn't co-operating...

Picture of yesterday and then this morning

Sorry SVS but that picture just cracked me up.....

Siding not done, soffits not done, retaining wall not done, landscaping not done....... How do you say "I live in Alberta, I just got a new tow boat, and there is no way in heck that I am going to spend a nice summer day in the yard when I could be on the water".

:huh:

Hmmmm I could finish the siding......... nah, I will tear apart the boat and install a new ballast system!

:)

Edited by zapisor

Haha... It's actually my parents acreage down by okotoks.... I couldn't convince them to empty the oversize triple for me for winter!

We built the shed in October to house the Quads/Bikes/Lawn tractor/bigger tools etc... Gave up when it snowed!

I can't say our place in the city looks much better though, too much yard work to do this spring!

zapisor    43
I had the dealer here in Calgary (Renfrew) order me the switches (Contura SPDT (Single Poll Double Throw))

They were $34 each, but they came with the proper labelled actuator on the top (port/stbd fill/empty etc)- the switch bodies themselves can be picked up pretty cheap online ~$10 - but then you have to find the fancy actuators for the top. Someone told me where to get them once, but I forgot....

I'll be attaching a wiring diagram when I get it to it, to show the relays etc. Thing that dawned on me the other day... each switch operates a valve and the common fill pump in the fill position, but each of the vavle circuits need to be isolated so that your not firing open all the valves from every switch...

Yed diagrams and part numbers please, I am an electrical idiot, I would have everything plugged into the cig lighter.

ladderrat    0

yes! part numbers and diagrams!

havent wired yet!

looks great!

'

dave

Someone had asked what I meant by doing things differently, essentially I got stuck using glued (socket) fittings rather than threaded, had I been able to use threaded, the manifold would have been substantially shorter, probably in the 6-8" range, which on a boat, actually makes a difference!

Pictures attached show what I mean.

post-269-1237778498_thumb.jpg

post-269-1237778506_thumb.jpg

System Diagram, Blue color is electrical, Yellow is plumbing - it doesn't show the existing system, but just imagine doubling everything except the fill pump

post-269-1237828025_thumb.jpg

Oldwakedude    0

Excellent drawing and pics, really looks like you know what you are doing. One observation for you. In using two relays you have achieved your goal of isolating the fill valves from the pump, but notice that if both switches are in the fill position both relays are on with the potential of 40 amps running down the wire to the pump (assuming a single feed to the pump). I've attached a diagram of a single relay with diode steering of the switch signal that avoids this issue, I believe this is the circuit that Centurion uses in their dual pump set-ups.

Alternatively you can just get rid of one of the 20A fuses and feed both relays from the same 20A fuse.

Ballast_system_Electric.pdf

Edited by Oldwakedude

Excellent drawing and pics, really looks like you know what you are doing. One observation for you. In using two relays you have achieved your goal of isolating the fill valves from the pump, but notice that if both switches are in the fill position both relays are on with the potential of 40 amps running down the wire to the pump (assuming a single feed to the pump). I've attached a diagram of a single relay with diode steering of the switch signal that avoids this issue, I believe this is the circuit that Centurion uses in their dual pump set-ups.

Alternatively you can just get rid of one of the 20A fuses and feed both relays from the same 20A fuse.

Funny thing was this diagram used to have diodes in it... thought I had it licked here, thanks for the pickup on that, in further hind sight, I have to tap into the existing system anyways. I hadn't got that far in the boat yet, but onceI do, I plan to use the existing wiring as much as I can, and mimic the rest!

Thanks!

Well I'm finally done - can't find some of the pictures (switches), but it's all working, at the push of a switch (or 4).

Upgrade for later on - another sac in the cave, or maybe something custom to replace the port side tank.

Larger fill pump

Anyways - Gallery of pics here - will add comments as I get time...

Falcon Ballast Install