Socially Distorted

Best Pullover or Side Zip Wakeboard Vests

I've trimmed down my weight over the last year as I've been training for a stronger riding season I've found my vest to be pretty loose. So now I'm looking for input as I need to look for a new vest.

I'm 150lbs. dry and plan on staying in that range (+-5lbs. depending on hoppy beverage intake). I'm pretty lean with a chest size of about 38". I obviously want to float, but would like to trim down the design/style. I love the pullover design, but realize most are comp/impact vests.

Anyone have first hand experience with the Ronix line or other vests that would suit my needs well?

1) Float 150lbs

2) Pull over design

3) Good design style

Nick213    583

I take it your looking for a coast guard approved vest? Or are you wanting to go with a assist floating vest it makes a difference I have a oneal vest that is not a coast Cunard approved vest but works great its snug and not intrusive and I've never been questioned about it let us know

Snug non intrusive design is preferred. Not partial to USCG approved or not so long as it floats my weight.

PayCheck    20

there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of vest...

Comp/Impact :fun: :

• +SUPER compfy
  • +i find them more durable
  • +maximum flexability and movability
  • +looks much better
  • +wont ride up
  • +/- half are easy to get off, half you have to be in the water to slide them off
  • -must have a USCG approved vest on board
  • -does not float at all (i can swim underwater and hardly feel any difference)
  • -will not turn you face up if unconcious, ever
  • -expensive
  • -honestly, people always ask to use my vest b/c the comfort and looks :rant:

USCG Approved :police: :

• +SOME will turn you face up when unconscious (iffy if your board is still attached)
  • +only need for 1 jacket on any boat (for yourself)
  • +mental sense of security
  • +fewer people will bug you to borrow it
  • +generally less expensive, by alot
  • -can be uncomfortable, and require a rash guard (PITA)
  • -bulky
  • -zippers jam easier
  • -ride up
  • -cant swim under the boat to scare someone on the other side :thumbdown:

im sure the list goes on, but bottom line you have to pick for your personnel needs. i havent worn a USCG approved vest in years, its amazing the difference between the 2 types. i wore a ronix, and still wear it sometime and absolutly LOVE it, but seriously so does the rest of the world......... when i surf, its so much nicer using the comp vest, its just soooo comfy and relaxed fitting. if your spinning on your wakeboard, the comp vest makes the handle pass a breeze to reach around, imho. if you go with comp, having those cheesy orange vests(which you should have a few stored anyway) makes due for those police checks. i just cannot say enough good thing about the comp vests i love both mine so much, although people may swipe them quicker than they would an approved vest. the flexability to swim under water as i please is great, while still having a small bit of support when on the surface. go into a store and try some on, make sure its pretty tight because it wont feel as tight in the water. just my .99 cents :thumbsup:

Nick213    583
there are advantages and disadvantages to each type of vest...

Comp/Impact :fun: :

• +SUPER compfy
  • +i find them more durable
  • +maximum flexability and movability
  • +looks much better
  • +wont ride up
  • +/- half are easy to get off, half you have to be in the water to slide them off
  • -must have a USCG approved vest on board
  • -does not float at all (i can swim underwater and hardly feel any difference)
  • -will not turn you face up if unconcious, ever
  • -expensive
  • -honestly, people always ask to use my vest b/c the comfort and looks :rant:

USCG Approved :police: :

• +SOME will turn you face up when unconscious (iffy if your board is still attached)
  • +only need for 1 jacket on any boat (for yourself)
  • +mental sense of security
  • +fewer people will bug you to borrow it
  • +generally less expensive, by alot
  • -can be uncomfortable, and require a rash guard (PITA)
  • -bulky
  • -zippers jam easier
  • -ride up
  • -cant swim under the boat to scare someone on the other side :thumbdown:

im sure the list goes on, but bottom line you have to pick for your personnel needs. i havent worn a USCG approved vest in years, its amazing the difference between the 2 types. i wore a ronix, and still wear it sometime and absolutly LOVE it, but seriously so does the rest of the world......... when i surf, its so much nicer using the comp vest, its just soooo comfy and relaxed fitting. if your spinning on your wakeboard, the comp vest makes the handle pass a breeze to reach around, imho. if you go with comp, having those cheesy orange vests(which you should have a few stored anyway) makes due for those police checks. i just cannot say enough good thing about the comp vests i love both mine so much, although people may swipe them quicker than they would an approved vest. the flexability to swim under water as i please is great, while still having a small bit of support when on the surface. go into a store and try some on, make sure its pretty tight because it wont feel as tight in the water. just my .99 cents :thumbsup:

yes to all of that everyone wants to use my vest I won't let them not being uscg approved seems like a liability if something bad happens but I've had my best for about 8 years and will dread the day I have to replace it but if you want to not worry about the liability get a usgc approved for the state of mind and liability

I've got all the required vests to meet regs. This vest is specific to my personal use and only my use. Leaning towards a comp vest as I started handle passes last season in my bulky certified Hyperlite vest.

So Ronix and Oniell are well built? Fit well and allow a little float or no float?

jdb11386    1

Check out phalanx wake. I have one of their rear zip vests, by far it is the most comfortable vest I've worn.

Nick213    583
I've got all the required vests to meet regs. This vest is specific to my personal use and only my use. Leaning towards a comp vest as I started handle passes last season in my bulky certified Hyperlite vest.

So Ronix and Oniell are well built? Fit well and allow a little float or no float?

my best has some float but not much if not kicking my legs my head the only part of my body above water

DarksideR    1,679

I have the older version of this. Mine has no zipper. Not sure why they changed it. It's sort of between a comp vest and a coast guard approved one. Lots of flotation and tons of flex. In between bulkiness.

http://www.liquidforce.com/vests-flex-comp.html

DaveO    0

Check out Jet Pilot. I've got a Shane Bonifay pullover comp that I'm real happy with.

PayCheck    20

I have the older version of this. Mine has no zipper. Not sure why they changed it. It's sort of between a comp vest and a coast guard approved one. Lots of flotation and tons of flex. In between bulkiness.

http://www.liquidfor...-flex-comp.html

this is one of the nicest jackets iv ever tried on. it litterally feels like wearing nothing at all, all companies named above are good quality, not sure about phalanx but jdb can vouch for them. personally i cant stand liquid force gear, because the owners are such &T^&@$$*^&)%$@%#) but they make the best jackets... :rant:

PayCheck    20

go for the comp if your doing the handle passes, youll notice a difference immediately

Troy. R    198

I know you said you're leaning toward a comp vest, but I have one of these and love it...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=16542

It's the best CGA vest I've found which is a necessity in California since it is illegal to ride without a CGA vest on.

It gives you all of the float of a CGA with the range of motion of a comp.

Nick213    583

I know you said you're leaning toward a comp vest, but I have one of these and love it...

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=16542

It's the best CGA vest I've found which is a necessity in California since it is illegal to ride without a CGA vest on.

It gives you all of the float of a CGA with the range of motion of a comp.

yes you are correct and that's the biggest reason no one where's. my vest in the 8 years I've had it no one has questioned me on it but I don't use that vest when I've been asked to show life vest for each person on the boat each person has a cga vest

Troy. R    198

yes you are correct and that's the biggest reason no one where's. my vest in the 8 years I've had it no one has questioned me on it but I don't use that vest when I've been asked to show life vest for each person on the boat each person has a cga vest

In California the law used to be that you could use a non-CGA vest to ride as long as you had a CGA vest for everyone. That law has changed. Now you have to be wearing a CGA vest to ride. If you get caught wearing a non-CGA they can give you a ticket and I think it's like $400...

Looked in to the regs on wearing USCG approved jackets when riding. As mentioned, Cali requires with a penalty of $150.

http://www.uscgboating.org/state_boating_laws.aspx

I'll need to weight my options again. Roll the dice on a comp vest or stay in regs with a USCG... Hmmm.

Nick213    583

Looked in to the regs on wearing USCG approved jackets when riding. As mentioned, Cali requires with a penalty of $150.

http://www.uscgboating.org/state_boating_laws.aspx

I'll need to weight my options again. Roll the dice on a comp vest or stay in regs with a USCG... Hmmm.

$150 is a neusence but for what it's worth I've worn mine for a long time with no problems other then telling my friends they can't use it not trying to push you one way or the other just letting you no my experience with it let us know witch one you decide on rebel or not is the question lol

PayCheck    20

dern that fine blows... we dont even have to wear a vest at all while surfing