Bigcatpt

Steering cable for 03 Avy

Bigcatpt    408

So my steering cable got drastically tighter last week while I was at Lake Powell. Looks like its time for a new one.

I have searched many old steering cable threads. Can anyone confirm weather I need a 19 or 20 foot cable for a OEM replacement on a 2003 Avalanche?

I understand that both could work....I am just wondering which is an exact replacement. I have looked under the helm and the white lettering has long since worn off the cable.

So the choices are:

19 foot Teleflex Extreme SSC15419

or

20 foot Teleflex Extreme SSC15420

Thanks!

Kyle    0

Mine was an 02 and I seem to remember it being more like 21'. There is another set of numbers about 2 feet up from the push/pull rod on the other end, unfortunately, that is under the engine, maybe a flex mirror?

21 sounds long but the cable ran up the port side of the fuel tank, just in front of that made a turn to the starboard side, using up about another 5-6 feet at least going up and over and then back a little again.

sorry, I absolutely did not aswer your question.

kylesullens    3

Call Shell at fineline. She can tell you what cable it is. I just replaced mine last week. Got it at Amazon.com for $108.

I attached a 3/8" nylon line to the old one when I pulled it out, then used the rope to pull the new cable back under the deck. Worked great. Total time invested: about 45 minutes.

Good luck

CeeDee    16

I recently replaced mine. The old cable was 18' and I replaced it with a 19' because I thought the bend at the helm was a little tight. My Avy is 2004.

RhuntIII    555

Hey Big,

Did you change out that cable? That project is on the to do list. Where did you order that cable from?

Bigcatpt    408

Rhunt I ordered the cable from LowCostBoatingstore.com . They had the best price I could find. It was $140 + $10 shipping for a grand total of $150.72. Customer service was great and shipping was fast. This is what I ordered.... TELEFLEX SSC15420 HPS R&P BACKMOUNT TFXTREME 20'.

The current one in my boat is a 19' cable and I really don't like the route it takes and the sharp bend it has to make under the steering column. So I ordered the 20 foot cable and will be able to route the cable a little different with a more gradual curve.

I have not done the install yet. I am due to change the impeller this spring so when I do that I have to remove the fuel filter and all kinds of other stuff on that rear/port corner of the engine. So while I am back there removing things it will clear up space to get to the rudder connection area and get that bad boy changed out.

truekaotik    458

Hey guys I just did mine last spring.. Any questions just hit me up ;)

RhuntIII    555

Hey guys I just did mine last spring.. Any questions just hit me up ;)

Man I feel like I ask you to many as it is. :)

Rhunt I ordered the cable from LowCostBoatingstore.com . They had the best price I could find. It was $140 + $10 shipping for a grand total of $150.72. Customer service was great and shipping was fast. This is what I ordered.... TELEFLEX SSC15420 HPS R&P BACKMOUNT TFXTREME 20'.

The current one in my boat is a 19' cable and I really don't like the route it takes and the sharp bend it has to make under the steering column. So I ordered the 20 foot cable and will be able to route the cable a little different with a more gradual curve.

I have not done the install yet. I am due to change the impeller this spring so when I do that I have to remove the fuel filter and all kinds of other stuff on that rear/port corner of the engine. So while I am back there removing things it will clear up space to get to the rudder connection area and get that bad boy changed out.

Thanks BigCat

Bigcatpt    408

Man I feel like I ask you to many as it is. :)

Thanks BigCat

:thumbsup:

superdtf    68

When are we changing this out? Let's set a date.

Bigcatpt    408

When are we changing this out? Let's set a date.

Spring time.... Mid April probably. Too much fresh POW right now to be concerned with boating. :thumbsup:

RhuntIII    555

So would POW be POWDER?

duramat    462

So would POW be POWDER?

...yep!

Slopes are getting DUMPED on tonight!

RhuntIII    555

...yep!

Slopes are getting DUMPED on tonight!

Yeah my brother and his family are nonstop about this Utah White Christmas.

Bigcatpt    408

Yes it has been a VERY white Christmas here in Utah. Its good for the POW now and great for adding water to our lakes in the spring for surfing!!!

RhuntIII    555

We will be heading out that way this summer.

superdtf    68

Pow Pow Update: Overhead powdershots were had by all over the Christmas break in the Northern Wasatch Range. Cold temperatures and low humidity have left the snow still delightfully fresh and fluffy. Yeterday I was getting uninterrupted lines with 14-18" of fresh in the Wasatch range east of Ogden with minimal hiking.

Today I'm at work :-(

Bigcatpt    408

We will be heading out that way this summer.

When? Where? and for how long?? Are you gonna ride with us?

Bigcatpt    408

Pow Pow Update: Overhead powdershots were had by all over the Christmas break in the Northern Wasatch Range. Cold temperatures and low humidity have left the snow still delightfully fresh and fluffy. Yeterday I was getting uninterrupted lines with 14-18" of fresh in the Wasatch range east of Ogden with minimal hiking.

Today I'm at work :-(

Ya we got blitzed the last 2 weeks with beautiful white fluffy stuff! Cold as hell now though! 1 degree this AM!