phillewis

The great Avy walk-through conversion!

phillewis    39

Since day 1 with my new Avy, I have been wishing it was a C4 model, and not one with the walk-through... I think it's pretty obvious why, more seating and more custom sac room:) So... I decided to take matters into my own hands, and cut the crap out of my boat with my grinder!

Didn't get a chance to take a ton of pics, pretty much everything was totally covered in fiberglass dust, and we wanted to go as fast as we could... basically, we just cut out the walk-through with the grinder, and then built in the new bench seat, seat back, sun pad, and engine divider wall. When we were finished with the construction, I took it to a local upholstery shop, and had them make the vinyl pads, and it came out awesome! I then had enough room to get a new custom avy bag made to fill up the whole compartment and under the bench seat. The measurements came out to be the exact same size as the one for the port side :) I'll try and take some pics of the wave soon... Next up... possible switchblade install!

walkthrough6.jpg

walkthrough5.jpg

walkthrough4.jpg

walkthrough1.jpg

walkthrough3.jpg

bprobertson    8

I've always wondered if this was possible... Looks pretty awesome

superdtf    68

Dude! That's aggressive. Nice work!

Wow that looks better than I would have thought. Great job. Can you center the carpet logo with your grinder also? :thumbsup:

harlobra    24

That and the sporty bubble are two of the most hardcore mods I've seen on here. Stuff like that are why I check into see what's going on.

mancho    85

WOW... I like your style. It looks really clean... I wouldn't of known if you hadn't told us. I just would assumed it was factory that way. Nice job!

Audionly101    39

Phil! Man that takes some real guts (or favorite slang term for male parts) to take a cut-off grinder to that much fiberglass! That really gets the wheels spinning for what I can change on my boat. Thanks for the great ideas. Love it!

RhuntIII    555

Phillewis your now Phillysmooth good job on the mod. I like it.

duramat    462

Wow, indeed!! :thumbsup:

bprobertson    8

Phillewis, I just showed my wife your handy work and she is wondering when you are gonna head over the wasatch mountains to Salt Lake to do ours! :thumbsup:

DarksideR    1,679

DUDE! That's impressive. Nice work

Awesome! I was thinking of doing this on my boat so we don't have to have exposed sacs in the walkthru when surfing goofy. I've got a ton of fiberglass and fabrication experience, and you made it look relatively easy!

Wondering if you've had it in the water yet, and if you've noticed any disadvantages or areas of stress cracking around the seat of the walkthrough where you cut?

phillewis    39

I say go for it! Best mod I did last year by far. We even made the new bench seat 6" wider than the stock one on the port side, so it's super wide and delux, plus it gave me more room for a bigger custom sac.

Have not noticed any disavantages at all. We did reinforce the wall beneith the seat that runs alongside the new sac... like an extension of the engine divider wall forward. Actually, we made a new whole-new divider wall that was one complete piece all the way from the transom to the front of the rear bench seat. We used U channel to attach the wall to the floor. This way when you put weight on the bench it doesn't sag... which would probably lead to some cracks if there was too much weight on the seat. We had been filling a 400lb sac on the rear bench slid towards the starboard side, and the wave was killer! Don't have any good pics, we were way to busy surfing! I am planning on mod-ing a wing-plate like the FX22 has, and that should mellow the rooster tail a bit and make for the biggest and cleanest wave on our lake...

stoked    1,039

Old thread and the photos are gone, Phil can you post one if you still have it? I'm starting a custom bench and would like to see what you did

phillewis    39
I have a couple more photos I can email to you... these are the only ones I have stored on this site... PM me your email if you like... although I agree, the padded cooler would be a good idea. We always had a cooler floating around the cockpit that usually just got in the way... but, being able to squash a gigantic custom ballast bag under the seat was my first priority!

classifieds-1885-0-25720600-1409618072_thumb.jpg

classifieds-1885-0-16612900-1409618013_thumb.jpg
  • Like 1

stoked    1,039

WOWIE! That's pretty sweet!!!! What was the rough cost on that, how difficult would you say it was overall? I'm with you, hiding a giant ballast bag is very high on the priority list.