Audionly101

Which way do you turn?

Audionly101    39

While hanging out watching the 10,000 Lakes Open here near Minneapolis this past weekend I noticed a trend with the competition tow boat and every other surf boat on the lake. Every loaded up towboat besides me was turning to the “unloaded” side of the boat. Meaning if they were loaded up to surf regular / port then they would turn starboard looking as though they were about to roll over in either their own waves or someone else’s when picking up a downed rider. Over the last few years I see a mix of people turning either way but yesterday I was the only one turning to the loaded side. What is the advantage of turning to your unloaded side? It seems like it exposes your low side of the boat, tosses the unweighted side around violently in your rollers or someone else’s and just looks scary. I am not saying the way I am doing it is right but does anyone have any insight into why turning the way you do is better?

sallen    3

I usually turn to the loaded side. If for no other reason then it is just plain easier. Turning to the unloaded side feels like it takes forever to get turned around.

Dreamer    96

I turn to the loaded side as well. It feels more stable to be turning with all of the weight inside the turn.

mancho    85

Loaded, just easier

truekaotik    458

Turns faster loaded side but I turn unloaded side.. All the huge wakes you put out are gone by te time you are around and I've never had a bow "accident" turn non loaded as opposed to loaded side... I don't know though... Half the people here do power turns to pick up and smack over there wake..

volzalum    280

I stop for a second and then turn so that the unloaded (high) side hits the remaining waves first. This has helped me keep water from coming over the bow.

Edited by volzalum

superdtf    68

ALL THE WAY OFF-PLANE, and then to the loaded side.

Edited by superdtf

Kiwi042    4

Always to the unloaded side. As soon as the riding falls, cut the power and turn the wheel to the right. The nose swings back to the rider and you drive back thru the middle that does have a wave at all. Only reason I would differ is if I have a young rider in the water or a boat that appears to be following/getting to close. There's no way I'm going back to the surf side unless it's dire straights. Taken too many over the bow before..

Edited by Kiwi042

truekaotik    458
ALL THE WAY OFF-PLANE

Isn't that in the centurioncrew101 handbook?? ;) hehe

Audionly101    39

I always teach the "stop, let the wake go by, turn to the loaded side" to all drivers. I always do my best to wait a second and let the wake past but there are those times where you just need to turn back quickly.

superdtf    68

Isn't that in the centurioncrew101 handbook?? ;) hehe

...or else a shovel to the head!

Hendo    11

We surf regular, so as soon as you let off the gas the wave pushes you starboard side (unloaded). So we turn right.

tuneman    6

Always to the unloaded side. As soon as the riding falls, cut the power and turn the wheel to the right. The nose swings back to the rider and you drive back thru the middle that does have a wave at all. Only reason I would differ is if I have a young rider in the water or a boat that appears to be following/getting to close. There's no way I'm going back to the surf side unless it's dire straights. Taken too many over the bow before..

x2

truekaotik    458

...or else a shovel to the head!

Bwhahahaa I love those videos...

superdtf    68

With the Enzo, if you're slammed and you turn to the unloaded side, you'll take water through the vent on the loaded side unless you have it taped off. Also, if you catch any other little roller, you'll have water up over the sunpad. Not sure how the other boats do with increased deck height, but with the Enzo, if you slam it, you need to turn to the loaded completely off-plane.

PayCheck    20

ALL THE WAY OFF-PLANE, and then to the loaded side.

we never flood the front unless we TRY to. if you stop all the way, there should be no problem either way

bobback    3

I always turn to the right...seems safer for the person in the water as they are always in view.

poosie    7

to the unloaded starboard side.

wakeywakey    0

I agree with bobback. Always keep the swimmer in view of the driver.