knoxcenturion

fly high pylon pole speakers?

Im trying to see if anyone has ever known if they sell or i could build a set up to put two can speakers on a ski pylon?

Wylie_Tunes    146

If the pylon is a round tube, then any tower pod with the appropriate sized clamp will work. Bolt the pods on opposite sides of the pylon with one clamp stacked right above the other.

Where would i get there stuff to make it and what kind or size speakers would u say? I was thinkin only two.

GOBIG    4

Take a look at the Memphis hlcd speakers. They have the clamps made on them that will fit any size tube. I put a pair on my tower and I'm very impressed with them.

truekaotik    458

If that's your pole than all you'll need is to measure the diameter of the pole and get a clamp that fits or is universal. Most come with the speaker.. Just pick your favorite brand or price range.. Clamp them down and hook em up.. Not to hard...

DavidEM    1

You can stagger any number of speakers with one universal collar mounted directly over the other. There are also a few HD solid machined aluminum (versus cast) collars that are double-sided so that two tower speaker pods mount to the same collar.

David

Wylie_Tunes    146

Hmm. Great ideas. I was thinkin memphis cans but not sure.

There are two basic avenues you can travel. Are you looking for a surf type coaxial that sounds good near-field or are you looking for projection of volume for a wake-boarder?

Just about any marine coax in a pod with 75W-125W rms will make a decent surf/party-cove setup and can be had for a slim budget if needed. For wake-board range projection, you will need to step up into an HLCD with an amp that will deliver 150W+ rms. For a setup that does both well, you will need to step up to a larger HLCD like an 8 or 10 inch, as the smaller 6'5 HLCD's are naturally harsh when listen close in.

That Memphis HLCD is actually a pretty good deal for a 6.5" HLCD. it not only shares a similar looking housing and clamp with another brand of the same size, but the internals are very close as well, since both use off the shelf components. So if someone is looking for a decent HLCD, the Memphis is the is worth looking at.

So Knox, once you decide what you want, then there are plenty of options out there. Once the actual speaker is chosen, then you need to decide on an amp. Then you pick up the install incidentals like cabling, RCA's, speaker wire, circuit protections, etc.

So what do u think about mounting them on that pole? Surfin is the only thing and in a cove is what they will b used for.

Wylie_Tunes    146

So what do u think about mounting them on that pole? Surfin is the only thing and in a cove is what they will b used for.

In this case, I would not suggest a small 6.5" HLCD like the Memphis or like, but rather a traditional marine coaxial. It will yield a far more pleasant sound when close in like surfing.

In regards to your questions about mounting them to the pole, im not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. The physical mounting and installation of the speaker will be approached in the same manor, whether the pole is vertical or horizontal.

Most tower pod clamps are a two-piece clam-shell. Separate the two halves, place the pod to the tube, and bolt the upper half to the lower half sandwiching the tube in the middle. The opposite side pod would be placed with the clamp stacked right on top (as in above it) of the first clamp. If the pole is hollow, then a hole could be drilled just below the clamps for the wires to pass into the pole. At the base of the pole, you may need to get creative. You could drill another hole for the wires to exit the pole, then drill a hole through the floor into the bilge for the wires to taken to the amp install area. Or, if possible, travel through the base, through the floor into the bilge. Any exposed wiring can be dressed with some split-loom.

truekaotik    458

You will not hear 1 pair of coaxials good over the engine while surfing, sorry bro.. I would not go coaxials unless your doing atleast 4... Coaxial MAY give better mid but you loose all that once the boat is started and the vocals are way less than a HLCD.... If you want dual purpose speakers you NEED a pair of 8" or bigger HLCD.. This will give you the best of both worlds ( party cove and surfing).. Now if you have a FAE then maybe the coaxials will be ok.... That's my 2 cents on the matter..

truekaotik    458

Oh and remember, who ever is sitting in the rear seats, no matter what speaker you choose, will be blasting right at them on that pole.. .. Just keep that in mind... Some care, some don't..

superdtf    68

You will not hear 1 pair of coaxials good over the engine while surfing, sorry bro.. I would not go coaxials unless your doing atleast 4... Coaxial MAY give better mid but you loose all that once the boat is started and the vocals are way less than a HLCD.... If you want dual purpose speakers you NEED a pair of 8" or bigger HLCD.. This will give you the best of both worlds ( party cove and surfing).. Now if you have a FAE then maybe the coaxials will be ok.... That's my 2 cents on the matter..

Not even with FAE, note that he's got a DD, so the engine is right there in the middle of it all.