harlobra    24

My dad bought his first boat when I was 14. After we had launched and established a place on the beach he would let my buddies and I take it out and drive it around.

At what point do you trust your kids with your boat by themselves?

Edited by harlobra

I'll bet your boats alot nicer than your dads was and faster.

My sons 11yrs old. He gets to drive the boat with me standing next to the drivers seat. I will probably let him take it when he has had a good amount of experience towing boarders and is very cautious also understanding all of the dangers of boating which are alot. Maybe 16 or 17. Now that Im really thinking about it maybe never.

Kalidgh    37

In Canada you need a boat license ( Government cash grab )...so 16 minimum ( moms not around...15 or so )

My dad cut us loose at 14.....but then again, that boat was not worth $70K

My son is 12 and he is learning the ropes now. He drives with me beside him and I pepper him with questions such as " did you see that piece of wood...what is the water tempature of the motor ( do that lots )....where is the nearest boat...etc " Get him to realize that there is more to it than sitting behind the wheel

superdtf    68

I think Kalidgh is on the right track. Spend a lot of time next to them. Make sure they learn to watch the gauges. Teach them the sacrosanct rules about when to quit trying other stuff and simply cut the motor.

I grew up driving the boat since I was ten or twelve. It was a closed bow Ski Nautique and very easy to drive, very small, very powerful. By the time I was 15 I could pull slalom skiers through the course without the aid of perfect pass (wasn't invented yet). All us kids grew up driving and handling the boat. I still drive-on to the trailer with our Enzo (we clip the winch strap later when we're wiping down).

But part of me wonders if those days are gone. Boats are super expensive, insurance is becoming more so. And the number of large, costly boats is rising fast. The mistakes I made as a youth with our old Ski Nautique would be enormously costly in today's world. I'm teaching all my children to drive, but I don't know when I'll "turn 'em loose".

bcollins    18

Heck with the kids, when is my wife going to learn to drive?

I'm grooming my oldest son, 10, to drive. Pretty much what super and kalidgh said. I sit with him while he drives and point things out, etc. I tell him what to watch for in the boat and on the water. I explain to him whats going on and, when we have problems, what's wrong and what we can try and do to fix it; unfortunately, been plenty of those this year. I think whats just as important is that I'm teaching him to appreciate what he has and that maintaining the boat, cleaning it, etc. may not be fun but is part of owning a boat and enjoying it for many years to come. I think once he really gets that he'll be more likely to be more responsible with it. Anyway, he's not nearly there yet but give me a few years and I'll have him pulling his old man around the lake like a champ, and not powerturning when he turns around to pick me up.

CTMILKMAN    0

bcollins, super & kalidgh, I am with you guys. I could drive a boat long before I could drive a car. I am teaching my kids now how to drive responsibly. I will let my 11yr old handle our "evening cruise" around the lake most nights, while giving his 7yr old brother a chance here & there; of course its a slow cruise and I am right next to them. On quiet days on the lake, I will let them take me for a ride and like you guys point things out that they need to watch for. What it boils down to is this, I would much rather have them learn the right way too early than the wrong too late (late=teenagers trying to impress their friends)

duramat    462

My 12 year old is taking the State online boating course. Itll be good she learns but Im not turning her loose just anytime soon LOL

Jackfly    0

My 15yr old is a WAY better driver than my wife. I can tell him things once, and he catches right on. He has been driving a while though. Now if your talking about him takin the boat out with his buddies when he turns 16?. Whole different ballgame.

superdtf    68

My 12 year old is taking the State online boating course. Itll be good she learns but Im not turning her loose just anytime soon LOL

Hey, I took my 12 year old girl through the online course too. I was actually impressed with how thorough it was. But now I've got a little "know-it-all" reminding me of any infractions to the state course's guidelines. :)

harlobra    24

Hey, I took my 12 year old girl through the online course too. I was actually impressed with how thorough it was. But now I've got a little "know-it-all" reminding me of any infractions to the state course's guidelines. :)

I was thinking dura's online course was a great idea but my 12 year old son is a huge rules guy like his mom. That might be too much to handle!

harlobra    24

My oldest son is 19 and headed to college. He loves going out on the boat but I fear it may be too late for him to develop that passion for it. I'm going to start letting him drive a lot more, have him back the trailer down, etc. I think it'll be invaluable experience.

I'm also gonna start teaching my 12 year old son slowly too.

My dad's boat was a '80 Glastron 16 foot tri-hull with a 90 horse Merc outboard. When he'd let us drive it (we were on Mission Bay in San Diego) we'd go behind the Sea World Hydrofoils and jump the wakes. I'd kill my kids if they did anything like that to my boat lol

duramat    462

Shes been having fun doing it, and so true aobut being a "know it all"! d

Funny stuff Harobra :thumbsup:

fastjohnny    0

My oldest took the state boating safety course at age 11, that was 4 seasons ago. I don't think I have had any other driver pulling me for boarding or surfing in the last 3 years. He is fully capable of handling the boat by himself, as well as backing the rig down the ramp. The only thing I would question would be a drive-on loading situation. Capability aside, I would defer to state jurisdiciton, which varies as to legal age.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..