truekaotik    458

Do you guys need to be able to adjust them? You could use 6 of those retractors diod isolated to create a two button operation labeled port and starboard.. Push port button and one side will close as the other opens and vice versa :) ? Just a thought to throw out... It may be a dumb thought... Lol

This was just a fly thinking thing. I'd have to do it on paper to make sure I could get it to work properly but in theory it will :)

I think...

Haha

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

Audionly101    39

What was the thoughts on the counter weight? I don't know if I could even fit rams next to my transom brackets.

Duffy I know you are creative and can come up with something. I'd say to lift that swim platform up 4-6 inches so it is not under water all the time and then you will have all the room you will need. It shouldn't be too tough to fab up some brackets to get that platform up.

boardjnky4    8

Another question. How did the push feel during the test where you had 11mph/center ballast/400 in rear lockers? Compared to a traditionally weighted surf wake of course.

Audionly101    39

Another question. How did the push feel during the test where you had 11mph/center ballast/400 in rear lockers? Compared to a traditionally weighted surf wake of course.

Did I feel the push? Yes. I would say the wave was better than just 800# surf side and the center ballast. Was it a push like my normal 2500-3000# of ballast? No. With an evenly setup 1500# you could have a smaller very surfable and safe wave that was super easy to set up.

boardjnky4    8

Did I feel the push? Yes. I would say the wave was better than just 800# surf side and the center ballast. Was it a push like my normal 2500-3000# of ballast? No. With an evenly setup 1500# you could have a smaller very surfable and safe wave that was super easy to set up.

That's more-or-less exactly what I am looking for. That's about the same amount of weight I would run wakeboarding too. Talked to the wife about doing this this morning. I'd like to do some testing of my own.

I am thinking that a flat section on the bottom (L-shaped gate) might help to clean up the wakeboard wake when the gates are in, then obviously the when deployed, get the surf wave going.

Can you give more details on how you rigged up your proof-of-concept?

My creative backyard-engineer juices are really flowing!

tuneman    6

I don't think you just want to just have port / off /starboard switch. I think a big advantage will be having the ability to adjust the wake on the fly by changing the tabs a few degrees.

Audionly, that's what the dual Teleflex trim levers on the list would be for. Here's what I'm referring to:

http://www.basspro.c...uct/7396/140342

doug743    53

i am sure there will be aftermarket kits before we know it. I would duplicate the current shape of the bu's. I am sure they bench tested many options and then had an engineer test the hydodynamics of the gate. I am curious to see if they use different shapes and sizes for different models. My guess is no, they are going to use the same shape and angle. we just need to get the data. so who knows someone who has a new bu with the gates?

duffymahoney    10

I bet the design is more about looks and safety. They wouldn't want to use standard plates since people could get cut on them.

boardjnky4    8

This would be a good place to start. Just modify the plate to your size, or fab up your own custom plate. The rocker switch with LED would allow you to see the current position of each tab so no need for the trim levers, seperate gauge and rocker switch.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63572

scottb    0

Tried out a cutting board surfgate on my 01 Elite V. It made a huge improvement to the wave. Video coming soon. Here are some pictures of my setup. Took about two hours to put it together. Had to add a 2x4 spacer to the swim platform for extra clearance.

Edited by scottb

scottb    0

Video of wave. 750 rear port 250 center 400 in port storage.

100%

boardjnky4    8

I get the feeling that you are listing too much to get full benefit. You should try 750 port locker. 400 starboard locker.

Audionly101    39

Yeah I would load it up a bit more evenly. You could also use more weight. You should be able to get a nice clean wave without doing the circles too. You will lose some push and misshape your wave doing circles that tight.

truekaotik    458

I didnt notice that big of a difference in the wave? am i missing something?

boardjnky4    8

like I said, I think he is listing too much. In the first half of the video, look to the left side of the frame and you can see the rooster tail from the surfgate coming off the water. It needs to be more submerged to cause the convergence. It's important to remember that this system was designed for a boat that is weighted more evenly. That's not to say that some surf side weight will hurt, but you've got to at least keep that gate in the water.

The mechanism looks good on that one though.

Are you guys just screwing into the swim platform to mount these?

Edited by boardjnky4

scottb    0

Mine is mounted to the swim platform only with a couple of screws through the bracket. It did help when we moved some weight over to the starboard side. It is hard to tell from the video but the boat needs to be in a turn to the port side to get the wave to cleanup without the gate. The wave is also a lot steeper without the gate out. I would say it almost doubled the surfable area on the wave having it out!

The trim tab has a fin mounted to the bottom. The FAE kicks up some extra spray if the speed gets up over 10.5 mph. We were getting the best wave around 9.5 on the gps.

scottb    0

One way to look at how it works is the boat wants to turn in the directing that the gate is out on. To counter this force the rudder needs to push an equal amount of water in the other direction. This extra water ends up in the surf wave increasing the length and push.

WakeDoc    471

Outstanding guys way to take modifying to a whole new level... :thumbsup:

One way to look at how it works is the boat wants to turn in the directing that the gate is out on. To counter this force the rudder needs to push an equal amount of water in the other direction. This extra water ends up in the surf wave increasing the length and push.

That is similar to what I was thinking, I bet it would really help the goofy side.

boardjnky4    8

Well, got something rigged up today on both sides of the boat.

It works and pretty well. Wakeboard wake was pretty clean. Surf waves need some more tweaking. Maybe a bigger gate, bow weight or a litte listing is needed. I'll play with it.

Ballast was 2 540 lb Straightline Big Bags in the rear lockers plus the 250 stock center tank.

Pics and vids:

IMG_20120811_130615.jpg

IMG_20120811_130622.jpg

IMG_20120811_130628.jpg

IMG_20120811_135453.jpg

Wakeboard wake. I think the speed was somewhere around 21.5-23. I don't remember exactly what the speed was during the video.

Dark Side Surf Wave. 11 mph on GPS

note, i rotated with the youtube editor, but it said that it will take some time for the changes to take affect, so if it's sideways, tilt your head or some back later

Sunny Side Surf Wave

I think my next step is to come up with a manual surf gate. I think there is likely an elegant solution in my head that wil allow me to create some sort of pin setup that allows me to just stick my hand down there from the swim platform and quickly engage/disengage. If I can think of something, I can probably get a final solution in place for a couple hundred bucks, as opposed to a $1k lenco setup. In photos 1 and 2 you'll notice that my prototype is fully adjustable. I kept feeling like I was gonna lose a wing nut though. I'll think of something. Maybe even a push button telescoping post would work, sort of like a bimini top has. Push button, engage surfgate...hmmm. I don't where to go to have that made though, since I'll need to have it done to spec.

Edited by boardjnky4