Getssum    10

Hurry it up already! :-) enquiring minds want to know!

Audionly101    39

Sorry computer and youtube put me a bit behind last night. Here it goes:

With about 2 ½ hours of testing yesterday here are my findings for the vertical surf tab. The video builds up to about 2100# of ballast before the camera batteries died. I did test up to all the ballast I have at about 2950# which I call an easy 3000# with minimal boat gear (anchors, ropes, cleaning supplies, cooler). Before everyone bashes the wave or the idea of having something extra hanging off the back of the boat you need to think of what your trim tab does for your adjustability. I see a pair of vertically mounted tabs to be second best addition to your boat for adjustability after a trim tab or maybe even better than your trim tab. These are going to be a amazing tool to adjust size, shape and length on the fly in seconds.

My theory for how this helps goes a couple of ways. First the tab forces water away from your wake causing the clean side to roll over the washed side. Second the tab causes the boat to push off center or dog track causing your hull to act like it has more surface area resisting the water on your surf side. These are just my takings from my testing and what I saw. I’m sure I am wrong.

Starting from no ballast you can tell the tabs will almost clean up even the smallest wave. I added weight evenly to both sides and was very easily able to clean up the wave. Having only the rear lockers full quickly made it clear some bow weight was needed. After that I started adding to my surf side. The wave kept getting better and better with more surf side weight until the tab started coming out of the water due to the lean of the boat. Up until the tab started coming out of the water while in motion the tab would actually level the boat out due to the drag and still have a good wave on my elite v without the massive lean normally needed to clean up my wave. If I had more ballast I would have added more to my non surf side which I feel would have made the wave even better. Having the ballast evenly weighted means switching sides could be a breeze.

The video was shot from about 4 feet above the floor in the center of the boat so the angle isn’t skewing the wave either way. It was quite windy with plenty of other boat traffic. Sorry I don’t have the final setups or even my normal wave with only ballast and no vertical tab due to the battery going dead on the camera.

Pros:

Less weight needed for similar wave

No need for the almost unsafe lean to get a clean wave

Able to adjust all aspect of wave shape on the fly

Will add to your current ballast only wave if you can keep the tab underwater

Clean wave if turning in either direction (not shown well in video due to rough water)

Cleans wave with almost no ballast

Cons:

It does make mildly noticeable amounts of extra drag

You have to turn to compensate for the rudder effect of the tab

You do have something extra hanging off the back / sides of the boat to kick, step on, or fall on.

I will be making a nice clean permanent setup for my boat no question about it. I picture a pair of clean fiberglass tabs after I test shape a bit more with two lenco actuators. Simple, cost effective and functional.

Audionly you are the man. Good for you for trying this. I cant wait to see your permanent setup.

So you are actually using the tab on the starboard side to change the wave on the port side is this correct?

Do you think it would help or hurt if it had more angle out to the side or a larger tab size?

I think its really great that you did the R&D for all of us and so quickly at that.

Centurion needs to hire you.

Edited by hurricane sean

Kevin Baugh    78

GREAT testing now we need someone to try the same thing on an Enzo

Audionly101    39

Yes deploy the tab on the starboard side to surf the port side or the other way around. More angle will not help any more. I tried a few changes in angle but there was a point where it just added drag and did not improve the wave. The tab size will be tested. I think if I had the room for a taller tab that would be the best change to shape so far.

If vertical tabs can make my very hard to tune Elite V wake better so easily, I'm sure it can tune a Enzo wave to amazing perfection!

scottb    0

For the Elite V would you go with an 8x12 tab mounted in the corner pocket or something longer?

duffymahoney    10

What was the thoughts on the counter weight? I don't know if I could even fit rams next to my transom brackets.

boardjnky4    8

I would love to see what the wakeboard wake will look like with the vertical tab in the off position. Filling in the pocket has always been something I've wanted to do to try and clean up the wake on this boat.

As an Elite V owner, this excites me very much. Best case scenario is mounting this on both sides of the boat to fill in the pocket, that way surfing port and starboard as well as wakeboarding can all be done with the same weight and clean wakes.

Is your ski fin still mounted on the trim tab in the video?

Edited by boardjnky4

scottb    0

I filled in the pocket once to see if it would help the surf wave and it took about 6 inches off the hight of the wave using the same ballest. Havin the corner cutouts seems to get the boat to layover with less weight. With the surfgate this may not be a problem.

boardjnky4    8

What did you use to fill it in? At the moment, I am still trying to think of a way to temporarily fill it in to test things out.

I'm most concerned about getting my wakeboard wake to clean up. That little edge in the pocket throws a little line up into the wake that causes some wash to roll over.

• Like 1

tuneman    6

Audionly, thanks for doing the test. Awesome.

So, working up my thoughts on doing this on my Enzo. Here's what I'm thinking:

- three way rocker switch (port / off / starboard)

- single trim gauge next to the switch

- dual teleflex trim levers on the steering column (1 for regular plate, 1 for gates)

- When the engine turns off, both gates are retracted for safety (or put the rocker switch in the middle)

- When pulling a rider, flip the switch to whichever side they're surfing on and adjust gate accordingly.

- Flip the switch to the other side and it retracts the first gate, extends the other and the trim gauge changes to the extended gate. It either goes to where it was last or goes to where the other gate was

Possible? If so, tell me what I would need and how it needs to be wired.

duffymahoney    10

With enough list the tab will need to be very low on the sides. When you guys surf with your enzos are the corners out of the water? I don't think these will replace water ballast, but add to it.

truekaotik    458

- dual teleflex trim levers on the steering column (1 for regular plate, 1 for gates)

- When the engine turns off, both gates are retracted for safety (or put the rocker switch in the middle)

- When pulling a rider, flip the switch to whichever side they're surfing on and adjust gate accordingly.

- Flip the switch to the other side and it retracts the first gate, extends the other and the trim gauge changes to the extended gate. It either goes to where it was last or goes to where the other gate was

The only problem I see is that you don't have the part mentioned to automatically retract to safety position if ignition is off or if the switch is flipped to off ? It won't go back automatically just with a rocker and single tab lever...

Audionly101    39

Is your ski fin still mounted on the trim tab in the video?

Yes do still have the ski fin attached to my trim tab.

I was not able to test the wakeboard wake but i would guess the tabs would be great for being able to tune it in.

Audionly101    39

Tuneman, I have been working on my wiring diagram on how I want to set it up with a "auto retract". I don't think you just want to just have port / off /starboard switch. I think a big advantage will be having the ability to adjust the wake on the fly by changing the tabs a few degrees. Some sort of gauge would a great idea. One of these Lenco kits would be ideal if I don't come up with a relay set. http://www.lencomari...h-kit-dual.html Slap some new labels on it and call it good.

Audionly101    39

For the Elite V would you go with an 8x12 tab mounted in the corner pocket or something longer?

My tabs were almost exactly 8" tall by 12" long. For a older non C4 Elite V that will be a good size. The problem with the metal trim tabs being 12" long is they stick out and could easily cut someone when kicked, jumped or stepped on. I plan to make a fiberglass pair of tabs with smooth rounded edges as I know someone will end up hitting a tab at some point in time.

Every boat will have to measure a size that will fit under the platform, fit the vertical side of the hull and still give a good push on the water. It is very important to make sure the tab is vertical!

Edited by Audionly101

truekaotik    458
I can use two auto tab retractor modules to solve that problem:

http://bennetttrimtabs.com/autotabretractor.php?cID=3

However, does the tab go back to where it was when you put power back on? I'm thinking not.

Yes sir ;) just checking.. You guys are nuts and I like it :) LOL