superdtf    68

I am not even CLOSE to going Bob the Builder on my Enzo. We REALLY, REALLY like the wave we have now.

If what you're dying to have is quick changeover, then less than a thousand dollars of pumps, hoses, and 24v 4-way valves would get you there in less time than you can return to your fallen rider, get him/her in the water, and get the new rider in the water. All without bolting crap to the back of your boat.

I lied, the 12-24v automatic valves are WAY more expensive than I remembered. So it would be like $2k.

David    0

Can the tabs be deployed at wakeboard speed? It would be really cool if the driver could clean up the wake when your boats not loaded evenly. I get tire of asking people to move to the other side.…

Audionly101    39

I'm putting my parts together for my test build. Does anyone have a extra lenco actuator around? I really need to put the tab on the non surf side right?

Audionly101    39

I see the homemade tab is on his surf side on his vRide over on the Bu'Crew. I guess I'll have to set it up so I can try both sides to see what happens. With the use of a lenco I will take a lot of the guess work out of angle right away with the push of a button. This is one of those projects where I can't wait to see the outcome! This is my quick fab work for proof of concept. So here are a few pictures of the bracket which will (not just be clamped) attach to my swim “platform risers” (2x4”s). I had an extra trim tab around the garage so I would like to use that but I don’t want to cut it up yet until I know this will work. The tiny piece of angled steel is where my lenco actuator will be placed. Tomorrow I am going to stop at my local hardware store and purchase some piano hinges to attach a wooden tab to the bracket and brain storm an easy way to adjust angle until I come up with an actuator. Then it will be tinkering with size, shape and angle to get the best possible wave before making a nice clean permanent surf gate thingy.

post-619-0-97748800-1343691618_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-19063000-1343691634_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-23275400-1343691647_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-24186600-1343691670_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-26015200-1343692221_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-51265100-1343691696_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-75376700-1343691708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Audionly101

DarksideR    1,679

Exciting stuff Audionly. Get er dun.

volzalum    280
I see the homemade tab is on his surf side on his vRide over on the Bu'Crew. I guess I'll have to set it up so I can try both sides to see what happens. With the use of a lenco I will take a lot of the guess work out of angle right away with the push of a button. This is one of those projects where I can't wait to see the outcome! This is my quick fab work for proof of concept. So here are a few pictures of the bracket which will (not just be clamped) attach to my swim “platform risers” (2x4”s). I had an extra trim tab around the garage so I would like to use that but I don’t want to cut it up yet until I know this will work. The tiny piece of angled steel is where my lenco actuator will be placed. Tomorrow I am going to stop at my local hardware store and purchase some piano hinges to attach a wooden tab to the bracket and brain storm an easy way to adjust angle until I come up with an actuator. Then it will be tinkering with size, shape and angle to get the best possible wave before making a nice clean permanent surf gate thingy.

post-619-0-97748800-1343691618_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-19063000-1343691634_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-23275400-1343691647_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-24186600-1343691670_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-26015200-1343692221_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-51265100-1343691696_thumb.jpgpost-619-0-75376700-1343691708_thumb.jpg

Actually he states it is on the port side because they were trying goofy first ...

tuneman    6

I am not even CLOSE to going Bob the Builder on my Enzo. We REALLY, REALLY like the wave we have now.

If what you're dying to have is quick changeover, then less than a thousand dollars of pumps, hoses, and 24v 4-way valves would get you there in less time than you can return to your fallen rider, get him/her in the water, and get the new rider in the water. All without bolting crap to the back of your boat.

Super, you're missing the point. My boat is set up for regular side only. If you ride goofy, you're riding backside on my boat. And I have no intention of ever surfing on the dark side. We need to see what Surf Gate will do when you throw in a Centurion hull. Will the wave be clean to 50 feet back? Will we be able to add another 2500lbs to get a wave that's twice as high with twice the push? We won't know until someone tries it out.

Daylorb    3

Super, you're missing the point. My boat is set up for regular side only. If you ride goofy, you're riding backside on my boat. And I have no intention of ever surfing on the dark side. We need to see what Surf Gate will do when you throw in a Centurion hull. Will the wave be clean to 50 feet back? Will we be able to add another 2500lbs to get a wave that's twice as high with twice the push? We won't know until someone tries it out.

I agree - I'd be putting this together to make an even bigger wave yet.

superdtf    68

I agree - I'd be putting this together to make an even bigger wave yet.

I get it. And the truth is it's exciting to see you guys get after this. I expect lots of updates and pictures!

duramat    462

Exciting stuff Audionly. Get er dun.

HOT DAMN!! YOU DA MAN!

Excited to see this work!

Audionly101    39

Very ugly but functional prototype is on the boat and ready for a few tests. I made identical ugly brackets with tabs for both sides of the boat. I don’t know if I will have time to play with them this week but if not I plan on testing them this coming Sunday. I will be sure to take good notes and pictures to share my findings.

truekaotik    458

Dang bro!! Big B's.... I can't wait for pics...

Daylorb    3

Very ugly but functional prototype is on the boat and ready for a few tests. I made identical ugly brackets with tabs for both sides of the boat. I don’t know if I will have time to play with them this week but if not I plan on testing them this coming Sunday. I will be sure to take good notes and pictures to share my findings.

Nice - can you say "rapid prototype?"

My buddy has a bu 247 and it does make a great goofy side wave but believe me it will not touch my 244(right hand). The one difference I notice his curl is not as thick as mine, so if you get way back in my curl it is hard to pump out and since his is thinner you can get further back in the curl and pump out of it easier. They cannot beat Centurion's wave.

On Monday I was coming home from the lake and passed a load of new bu's. They had no trim tabs underneath the platform but they had those wings off the back both sides along the platform. They looked like h2o "deflectors" heard good things about them can't wait to see it.

My kids like our wave better when wakeboarding b/c ours is more rampy than a bu. but they will never touch Enzos wave unless they go to a deep V hull. :thumbsup:

DarksideR    1,679

What are these h2o deflectors you speak of?? I noticed something in wake 9's latest video (one with the Centurion, Tige, and Supreme) that the Tige Z3 has something under its platform. They almost look like two sideways mudflaps. Is that it?

Sorry if this is off topic.

if you are looking at the side of the boat . They are running out like an extension of the back end of the boat under the swim platform. They don't impress me much but let's see how they do. :thumbsup:

scottb    0

The surfgate looks like it just helps clean up the wave by shifting the back of the boat over to get the prop wash off the surf side. Kind of like turning the boat to the side you are surfing to get a clean wave.

Edited by scottb

PayCheck    20

i do not know how to explain my theory well, but think about the wedge and switchblade. they are always angled to make the boat lower in the water right? well when the malibu is leaning a little, the gate is no longer 100% vertical is it, it acts like a wedge given that it has a slight angle. when lookin at the boat from behind, surfing regular, the gate on the right would look like \. vice versa for goofy. i also have been thinking about how it pokes outward from the straight hull, that should distort the way the boat moves throughout the water. perhaps this gives the wave some significant shape or reduces the need for ballast for a good wave. tell me if im crazy, but i was in knoxville for the PWT n spent a lot of time observing the surf gates on a new maibu that was being displayed. this was the theory that i think the engineers at malibu were looking for. mad props for thinking out of the box and being different.

duffymahoney    10

The only thing that worries me is if my boat is listing enough half of the gate would be out of the water? This is a super simple mod. You can buy wake or tab plates in all shapes and sizes. Just find the right size, then find the right rams. I want to see a sac'd out boat with them and see how it does.

Edited by duffymahoney

Audionly101    39

The only thing that worries me is if my boat is listing enough half of the gate would be out of the water? This is a super simple mod. You can buy wake or tab plates in all shapes and sizes. Just find the right size, then find the right rams. I want to see a sac'd out boat with them and see how it does.

Duffy you are correct! I did get out yesterday and tested my "surfgate." I am processing some video results to share with everyone shortly!