desotodave

Switchblade help! Lenco Actuator issues

desotodave    0

I have been helping my Brother-in-law with his Enzo, as his switchblade is not working. Took both actuators off. One actuator makes no sound whatsoever, but is getting warm! The other actuator is working both in and out, but once we hit the control on the switchblade, it goes all the way either in or out, and keeps running. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can you open them up and do maintenance on them?

The one that is working I am more worried about then the not working one as it concerns me that the switch on the dash is not working properly.

It kind of sucks, my bro in law liked our boat so much I talked him into getting one just like ours. We have really not had any problems, and he has had nothing BUT problems with his boat. Feel like I need to get him running.

Dave

superdtf    68

The first spring, we had a ram get stuck. I used WD40 (water displacement formula #40) and GENTLY tapped it with a mallet to get it working again. Now, every fall, part of the winterization is WD40, exercise them, then spray lithium grease and exercise them again. So far, the work every spring since.

Also, don't forget a bit of anti-seize goop on the stainless nuts that go back on the stainless studs (I did and it twisted right off).

• Like 1

desotodave    0

Super, the ram turns just fine, but makes no sound. Where I'd you put the WD40? Did you take it apart?

superdtf    68

Turns?

I shot it up along the seals of the ram into the ram body.

PM'd you.

Edited by superdtf

superdtf    68

Super, it is fixed and working! You are the man!

No way! That's awesome!

DarksideR    1,679

Nice work guys! What was the trick Dave?

desotodave    0

Shot wd40 in it, and beat it with a board whiile actuating the switch.m took the blade end of the ram off, and turned it in and out a couple times to work the WD40 into it first, the hit it on the end of the ram with a 1x4. Not too hard but a solid whack. They both now work perfect.

superdtf    68

Remember, WD40 is not an ideal lubricant, in fact it's kinda solventy and will "clean out" whatever grease is still in there. So once it's moving freely, you'll want to shoot a bunch of spray white lithium grease up in there.

kskinner    1

same issue here, fix worked perfectly. i used a thin layer of silicone grease after getting it unstuck instead of lithium grease. Also used a bit of silicone grease on the area where the blade twists back and forth freely. Now it pivots much more freely.

Can't thank you enough. Thought i was going to have to try and get Switchblade to warranty the ram. whew.

• Like 1

superdtf    68

same issue here, fix worked perfectly. i used a thin layer of silicone grease after getting it unstuck instead of lithium grease. Also used a bit of silicone grease on the area where the blade twists back and forth freely. Now it pivots much more freely.

Can't thank you enough. Thought i was going to have to try and get Switchblade to warranty the ram. whew.

Glad to hear. Hope you make it part of your autumn maintenance.

Packrat    13

Thanks guys for the tips on getting the Lenco Switchblade rams to work again. Mine made the gear turning noise but they went nowhere. I followed  superdtf’s advice along with putting a screwdriver in the Switchblade socket pulling down while having someone press the down switch. What really got it working was installing the Switchblade and running the now loosened rams. Not sure how long they will work we shall see. Does spray lithium grease come in a can or do you need a grease gun for it?

Thanks 

InfinitySurf    302
On 7/24/2019 at 2:03 PM, Packrat said:

Thanks guys for the tips on getting the Lenco Switchblade rams to work again. Mine made the gear turning noise but they went nowhere. I followed  superdtf’s advice along with putting a screwdriver in the Switchblade socket pulling down while having someone press the down switch. What really got it working was installing the Switchblade and running the now loosened rams. Not sure how long they will work we shall see. Does spray lithium grease come in a can or do you need a grease gun for it?

Thanks 

They sell lithium spray

superdtf    68

This is so awesome.  This thread started like 7 years ago...

Packrat    13

I got a new replacement set of rams for my Gen 2 Switchblade. Do you just splice the wires just inside the transom or do you run the wires all the way up to the dash? No instructions of course.. 

InfinitySurf    302

All the times I have messed with actuators, you run the wires inside the transom and then splice into another set of wires that send the power to your switch (mine only had about 6ft tails on them so that was the only option, if your wires are long enough to go all the way then I would do that since that is one less connection that can get corrosion or come loose). My guess is that you already have a connection zip tied to the bottom top half of the boat, or its integrated into the main wiring harness and there is an area you either splice into or it will have connectors of some sort (since you are replacing existing actuators). Deutch connectors are the cats meow. 

Anytime you are messing with electrical, its best to have your battery disconnected so if you cross something on accident you don't complicate the issue and end up with gremlins or a blow relay if there is no in-line fuse. Theoretically there should be a fuse somewhere that would pop if something was crossed. Once you complete the wiring I would also test the function before you close it all back up. The actuators are pretty simple and only thing you can cross is the polarity so it would go backwards instead of forwards.

I installed an Infinity Wave Surf System this past Spring and made sure I had an in-line fuse, that way if I ever have an issue with them not working I know where to check 1st. I didnt have any Deutch connectors on-hand when I wired mine up so I used butt-end connections and then covered them with heat shrink to help keep any corrosion from happening

Edited by InfinitySurf

Packrat    13

Thanks for the advice 

On 1/24/2020 at 8:33 PM, Packrat said:

I got a new replacement set of rams for my Gen 2 Switchblade. Do you just splice the wires just inside the transom or do you run the wires all the way up to the dash? No instructions of course.. 

Can you share the specs on where you got it from and numbers? I have been looking for a couple years now.

Packrat    13

I bought them from Custom Stainless. PM sent. The new pair with shipping was $600.  Also I added the Infinity Wave Tabs too so I have both Switchblade and Infinity Wave tabs and Bennett tab. Unfortunately our launches have been closed so haven’t tried. Ramps just opened up this weekend so it won’t be long till I get out.

Edited by Packrat
Edit