King Eric    0

I just purchased boat with almost zero hours so been sitting for 6 years. When I turn the steering wheel it “catches” in different spots when rotating lock to lock. It can be forced past these with serious driver input. Can also gently work the wheel back and forth slightly against the “catch” and it eventually will go past it. Adjusting the tilt steering angles has no effect. I’m ready to figure out what I need for a cable and replace it but I suspect the problem is in the column. Any suggestions?

superdtf    68

I just purchased boat with almost zero hours so been sitting for 6 years. When I turn the steering wheel it “catches” in different spots when rotating lock to lock. It can be forced past these with serious driver input. Can also gently work the wheel back and forth slightly against the “catch” and it eventually will go past it. Adjusting the tilt steering angles has no effect. I’m ready to figure out what I need for a cable and replace it but I suspect the problem is in the column. Any suggestions?

I doubt it's in the column. I bet the cable needs lubrication at the least, and very well may need to be replaced. The last time I had one that would "catch" it finally broke on me at high speed and my boat turned very suddenly; could have been very dangerous, but we were fortunate.