superdtf    68

Really slow leak. I have to add maybe 1/8 cup of fluid once a month. Just enough to keep my an oil buildup in my bilge.

Ok cool. I will put a little shot in next time I need to add a little fluid. Can I get it at any auto parts store?

Yes, but NAPA carries more and consistent inventory.

Also,for the greasy bilge, you could throw a cup of powdered detergent into your bilge. It then gets all wet and hot and clean. It doesn't work so well if you have a POS shaft seal and your bilge pump runs frequently.

Edited by superdtf

Daylorb    3

my original one was just a white plastic inline fuel filter in place of the aluminum. I like the idea of being able to see whats happening. I think your idea would work fine.

Ok - sure enough the fitting they replaced was the one directly below the breather - clearly the breather was leaking onto the fitting... Unfortunate as I told Sail and Ski no less than 4-5 times that I thought the issue was the breather, check the breather, etc. etc.

In any case, I popped the cap off the breather, you were right it is 3/8." Went to auto parts store and picked up some 3/8 fuel hose, and saw a universal coolant overflow container that has 3/8 fittings. I like your idea of it being clear as well - never would have thought of that. So grabbed the coolant overflow, the hose, and a breather filter (red to match the boat - thought that was a nice touch) and put together an overflow. You can see the pics attached. Still need to do a better job mounting it, but it is in there for now.

Added some Lucas to top it off (about 3/4 quart - which should be roughly 20%), checked hot fluid level it was just below full. Ran the boat with the overflow attached for ten minutes at speed, wrapped the connection on the breather and the hose with white towel to watch for leaks. Sure enough within ten minutes the overflow had a few ounces of fluid in it - no leak at the breather and nothing in the bilge. Headed back there later to run it longer, but it is looking very promising! Thanks for all the help - beer is on me in Austin if you ever are in the area.

Still seems strange to me that even this much fluid would be coming out the breather - but at least it is not going into the bilge and vanishing. I checked the Lucas-mixed fluid, still getting some foaming in there but not as bad. The cooler has been checked by two mechanics, engine temp is just fine, level looks okay. Next step would be to try some of the heavier-duty TO-2 fluid they recommend. Pennzoil makes one that they label a "high-mileage" fluid - it is TO-2 certified. Probably wait until later in the year but can't help but think something is going wrong in there.

post-999-0-47355300-1339438598_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-32624800-1339438620_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-77487100-1339438644_thumb.jpg

That looks great. With the hose barb coming off of the side you might want to mount the resevor cocked to the side so it will automatically run back down. I run a little extra fluid in mine, With it cold I fill it to the full mark..

Daylorb    3

That looks great. With the hose barb coming off of the side you might want to mount the resevor cocked to the side so it will automatically run back down. I run a little extra fluid in mine, With it cold I fill it to the full mark..

Good call. Definitely will drain back in there when the boat tilts/etc. but after a full day out there today there was still the same amount of oil and it had not run back down. Would be nice to have it do so.

Thanks again for your help - will keep updating on it if anything changes.

superdtf    68

This is a great mod. You should do a quick write-up with the pictures and put it n the How To/ DIY section of the forums.

Daylorb    3

Happy to write it up in DIY crediting hurricane, unless Hurricane wants to. Dont want to take credit for his idea!

Hay daylorb go for it man. My tile setter hands are very slow typers and my old lady has to do all of the picture posting for me ( Im not very computer literate)

Daylorb    3

Hay daylorb go for it man. My tile setter hands are very slow typers and my old lady has to do all of the picture posting for me ( Im not very computer literate)

Hah - will do this weekend!

Daylorb    3

DIY posted. Also - should note that Sail and Ski sent a mechanic over to look at the boat since they clearly didn't fix the leak. They ran it for a while and thought it was a good fix. To their credit, they refunded the labor they charged last week. Ultimately they did not fix the leak, but even so they did provide good service - they fixed a number of other things in the tight time-frame they promised at what I thought was more than reasonable cost and they were very good about this issue as well. Their ski-dept guys also fixed an inner-tube leak I had for next to nothing. Or course I wound up buying my 6th wakesurf board while there...

GregW    0

So I tried the Lucas tranny fix in my tranny that seems to be slipping and.....it hasnt worked yet. only put an hour tops on the boat since i put it in. Also I only used about 1/3 of the bottle of tranny fix.

Greg

superdtf    68

So I tried the Lucas tranny fix in my tranny that seems to be slipping and.....it hasnt worked yet. only put an hour tops on the boat since i put it in. Also I only used about 1/3 of the bottle of tranny fix.

Greg

I don't think using more is going to help. Unfortunately it sounds like you had a fluid issue at one time, and now one or more of the clutch plates is glazed. Did it leak before? Is the leak fixed?

I think you're looking at a rebuild if the following things are true:

• You're running it with the proper level for that hour
  • Your leak isn't draining it now
  • It still slips

GregW    0

I don't think using more is going to help. Unfortunately it sounds like you had a fluid issue at one time, and now one or more of the clutch plates is glazed. Did it leak before? Is the leak fixed?

I think you're looking at a rebuild if the following things are true:

• You're running it with the proper level for that hour
  • Your leak isn't draining it now
  • It still slips

yup...going to try and make it through the summer...good thing my brothers mastercraft is going in the water this weekend...rebuild it is....thanks for all the advice guys

g

knotguilty    6

Just an update on my boat that started this thread. So it took a month for the dealer to look at the boat then they flushed the transmission and filled it with 15W-40 oil. I couldn't believe it the boat ran like a champ. However, the oil level dropped 3/4 of a quart in 4 hours of surfing. So I decided to add the reservoir as described in this thread. I've put about 15 hours on the boat since then and haven't had to add any more fluid. :thumbsup: Looks like Centurion Crew saved me a bunch of dough again!

bcollins    18

Could be a coincidence but I surf very rarely and the only time I had an issue, slippage from low oil levels, was when I was surfing. Filled it back up and haven't surfed, or had transmission issues, since. Hmmmm....might have to do this mod since I'm thinking about trying the surfing thing out again.

superdtf    68

Just an update on my boat that started this thread. So it took a month for the dealer to look at the boat then they flushed the transmission and filled it with 15W-40 oil. I couldn't believe it the boat ran like a champ. However, the oil level dropped 3/4 of a quart in 4 hours of surfing. So I decided to add the reservoir as described in this thread. I've put about 15 hours on the boat since then and haven't had to add any more fluid. :thumbsup: Looks like Centurion Crew saved me a bunch of dough again!

15/40 motor oil in the velvet drive tranny?

SMITH    2

post-1844-0-75625000-1342777942_thumb.jpg

The elbow fitting top and center; Is this the Tranny vent/overflow, 3/8" hose to overflow tank mod we're talking about?

Edited by SMITH

knotguilty    6

15/40 motor oil in the velvet drive tranny?

That's what I said at first. Mastercraft uses it and uses the the same tranny on some of their boats. The dealer called velvet drive in theory... and the boat runs without me replacing the transmission! :thumbsup: Been running great.

knotguilty    6

post-1844-0-75625000-1342777942_thumb.jpg

The elbow fitting top and center; Is this the Tranny vent/overflow, 3/8" hose to overflow tank mod we're talking about?

No, you are looking at the V-drive. We are taking about the overflow on port side on the box behind the v-drive (transmission).