superdtf    68

Thanks - good suggestion. Just contacted them.

Super - I know a lot of parts on the boat - but not too intimate with the Bellhousing. Are you thinking that the seal on the bellhousing could be okay on the tranny side, but leak out on the engine side? Or just that it could be leaking anywhere around the bellhousing?

The bellhousing is shaped like a bell and houses the engine flywheel and that's also where the engine drive shaft comes out. The tranny hooks up to the drive shaft from there too. So a rear seal on the engine would leak into the bell housing, conversely, a leak in the front seal (or input shaft seal) of the tranny would leak into the bell housing. The bell housing "gathers" these leaks, and the fluid comes out a little hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. The bottom of the bellhousing is very low, practically resting on the bottom of the bilge, so when people know they have a leak (because the fluid gets low, and the bilge collects it), but they can't seem to find the leak, then the bellhousing is a common element.

So in your case, the fluid is ATF and the leak isn't found; well then that points to the input drive shaft seal leaking into the bellhousing. Obviously a guess, but likely.

Make sense?

And it's likely that it leaked from the first day your tranny guy rebuilt it. Did he install it too?

Edited by superdtf

Daylorb    3

The bellhousing is shaped like a bell and houses the engine flywheel and that's also where the engine drive shaft comes out. The tranny hooks up to the drive shaft from there too. So a rear seal on the engine would leak into the bell housing, conversely, a leak in the front seal (or input shaft seal) of the tranny would leak into the bell housing. The bell housing "gathers" these leaks, and the fluid comes out a little hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. The bottom of the bellhousing is very low, practically resting on the bottom of the bilge, so when people know they have a leak (because the fluid gets low, and the bilge collects it), but they can't seem to find the leak, then the bellhousing is a common element.

So in your case, the fluid is ATF and the leak isn't found; well then that points to the input drive shaft seal leaking into the bellhousing. Obviously a guess, but likely.

Make sense?

And it's likely that it leaked from the first day your tranny guy rebuilt it. Did he install it too?

Makes a lot of sense - thanks for that explanation. And yep - it has leaked from day one after he rebuilt it, and he did install it as well. I think you are onto something. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again - man I'd like to end this issue once and for all.

GregW    0

Prop spins when boat is in the water propelling boat gently forward...while throttle is in neutral.

superdtf    68

Prop spins when boat is in the water propelling boat gently forward...while throttle is in neutral.

That's a bummer. Indeed that tranny needs to come out. You're on exactly the right track.

GregW    0

Thanks....just going to try and get through this season and haul it back home. Boat is docked in VT and I live in CT...I have a trusted mechanic in CT that I want to use.

GregW    0

wow thanks!...I hope this helps will let you know...

G

truekaotik    458
I'm a big fan of Lucas products, and I always use about 20% Lucas tranny fix: http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=29&catid=9&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Lucas%20Transmission%20Fix

Might help get you through the season.

I am a HUGE Lucas believer as well!!! Great products right there :) I use the oil one as well and the fuel occasionally... It takes alot of stress off the internals...

DaveO    0

+3 for Lucas products

I've never tried them on my boat though

Bigcatpt    408

I'm a big fan of Lucas products, and I always use about 20% Lucas tranny fix: http://www.lucasoil....nsmission%20Fix

Might help get you through the season.

DTF can I use this stuff in the V-drive to stop my leak????

truekaotik    458

Big If you try it, the only thing I would suggest is the lucas oil stop leak. You run 30wt in the vdrive and adding some of the Lucas may help.. You'd have to try it and see. Really depends on how bad your leak is....

superdtf    68

Big If you try it, the only thing I would suggest is the lucas oil stop leak. You run 30wt in the vdrive and adding some of the Lucas may help.. You'd have to try it and see. Really depends on how bad your leak is....

Yes, that^^ The tranny wants ATF, but the V-drive uses oil. So True is on the money. The Lucas oil stop leak is highly viscous, so I wouldn't use much, (not more than 20%).

Daylorb    3

I'll bet your really good lunch that it's leaking into the bellhousing.

Contacted Velvet Drive, never heard back. I mentioned the Bell Housing to the mechanic, said it looked fine. They came back today and said they found the leak around a fitting on the bottom of the transmission itself. Picking the boat up tomorrow - we'll see if they got it fixed or not - but they were pretty confident they identified it.

I'm going to run it with normal ATF in there to make sure it is stopped up, but I really like the idea of Lucas - definitely get some foaming/heating going on - seems like a few of you guys have had good experience with it.

Will report on the results!

superdtf    68

Contacted Velvet Drive, never heard back. I mentioned the Bell Housing to the mechanic, said it looked fine. They came back today and said they found the leak around a fitting on the bottom of the transmission itself. Picking the boat up tomorrow - we'll see if they got it fixed or not - but they were pretty confident they identified it.

I'm going to run it with normal ATF in there to make sure it is stopped up, but I really like the idea of Lucas - definitely get some foaming/heating going on - seems like a few of you guys have had good experience with it.

Will report on the results!

You mean the little brass elbow cooler lines? If I recall correctly, there's one on top, and one way down on the right side. That's where it's leaking?!?! Jeesh. Not only is it the easiest to fix, it should be the easiest to find.

Daylorb    3

You mean the little brass elbow cooler lines? If I recall correctly, there's one on top, and one way down on the right side. That's where it's leaking?!?! Jeesh. Not only is it the easiest to fix, it should be the easiest to find.

I'm not sure - I'm picking it up today and will get a better explanation. The way he was describing it over the phone it didn't sound that way, but I was in a convertible going 70mph so the convo wasn't exactly crystal clear.

Daylorb    3

So, I get the boat back from Sail and Ski in Austin last night, put it in the water this morning, after warming up I run it for about 10 minutes at 30mph, turn it off and look in the bilge - and there is the f-ing tranny fluid again. See picture. I busted out another thousand, and still have my leak. Clearly they didn't fix it, so pulling boat out again and driving up there I guess.

I'd still really like to do the breather/vent modification - but how in the world do you get that vent/breather assembly out? It looks like it is screwed in there, with a hex fitting exposed, but I'm having a heck of a time getting it to move. Any advice?

I assume I need to take the spring-cap off to fit a hose to it properly. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. There is no doubt it is leaking some from the vent - I wrapped a towel around it all day and the towel got pretty soaked with fluid. I'm tempted to try the Lucas in there with a hose/reservoir on the breather tomorrow rather than pull it and drive it in again - takes several hours to deal with that.

Hey Daylorb sorry for the delayed response. Here's my resvoir. Its made from a 3" aluminum pipe capped on both end with the top having a hole with about a 1 1/2" pipe welded on for a breather we put an air filter on it. The bottom has a bung welded in with a hose barb threaded in. The size of mine is overkill, we just used parts that were laying around. The vent on the tranny ,on mine, is pressed in. I removed it by turning the hex but I could have removed the cap in place. The cap is only held on by the 2 or 3 bent spots on the bottom edge, just bend them out with a screwdriver and pry the cap off. The barb thats left is almost perfect 3/8 hose,if I remember correctly. Hope this helps good luck. Sean

post-857-0-64960300-1339376523_thumb.jpeg

post-857-0-03371600-1339376545_thumb.jpeg

post-857-0-13313200-1339376564_thumb.jpeg

post-857-0-52386300-1339376582_thumb.jpeg

post-857-0-53844900-1339376598_thumb.jpeg

Edited by hurricane sean

Daylorb    3

Genius. That helps a ton. Will be trying it tomorrow along with a mix of Lucas in there. I sketched out a reservoir idea... My plan was to run a tube just like you did, but at the end, rather than use aluminum which I don't have lying around, I was going to use a brass 3/8 hose barb to 3/4 or 1" step up - whatever I can find, and make the reservoir out of larger automotive type hose - roughly 6", either plug it on top and drill a few small breather holes in the top, or cap it with some type of venting/valve - whatever I can find.

I doubt it would fill much of it up, and a few small breather holes in the larger hose should be enough to release pressure.

Thoughts on using something a little less high-tech like this?

my original one was just a white plastic inline fuel filter in place of the aluminum. I like the idea of being able to see whats happening. I think your idea would work fine.

Bigcatpt    408

Really slow leak. I have to add maybe 1/8 cup of fluid once a month. Just enough to keep my an oil buildup in my bilge.

Yes, that^^ The tranny wants ATF, but the V-drive uses oil. So True is on the money. The Lucas oil stop leak is highly viscous, so I wouldn't use much, (not more than 20%).

Ok cool. I will put a little shot in next time I need to add a little fluid. Can I get it at any auto parts store?