bigmoney55    0

I have a 2002 sportbowrider and i have been running a 2 inch ball, but a friend of mine says i should be running 2 and 5/16 is he right or is he high? I looked everywhere but can't seem to find any info on it.

RVR-RAT    269

I have never heard of that. Did your buddy give you a reason?

bigmoney55    0

They have an older sportbowrider and said it took a 2 5/16 but they are also not the best boaters on the lake as well. I used a 2 inch ball all last summer and was fine, just thought i would double check though.

superdtf    68

In some crazy world, I can conceive that someone would ask for the larger coupler on their trailer (like they have two other trailers of that size, or grandpa always swore by it, whatev). And the truth is, plenty of idiots have towed with a ball one size too small: 1 7/8" instead of 2", or 2" instead of 2 5/16". And crazier still, a lot of them have lived to tell about it. But you would have noticed it clanging and bumping around like a mother back there if that was the case.

True story: In the 90's we went with our friend Clint who towed his Sport Nautique to Lake Powell from Salt Lake; the whole way with the coupler unfastened. I commented that it sounded a bit jiggly. He said it was always like that. Our theory is that the only reason we made it is because we had a bunch of gear in the bow of the boat, so the tongue weight was probably 300 lb's heavier than normal. Crazy.

doug743    53

certain hitches can be adjusted to help control how loose it is, most boat trailers under 25ft are going to have a 2" ball. when you hit a certain weight, the ball size increases. my cargo trailers are 2 5/16. that has alot to do with gross weight. you can check the trailer vin with the manufactor to see what came standard with the trailer. I have personally lost 2 cargo trailers over the last 20 yrs. 1 was a broken clevis and the chains saved it, the other was a goose neck ball failure and it took the bed of the truck almost off, (thank god no one go hurt) the goose neck was not my trailer, but the company i worked for in high school. losing a trailer is no fun.

WakeDoc    471
losing a trailer is no fun.

amen!

CeeDee    16

The coupler usually has the ball size printed right on it. 2 5/16 is usually for travel trailers that weigh over 5,000 lbs.