Sign in to follow this  
Bigshow

Dialed in Surf Setups

Bigshow    0

Dialed in Surf Setups

OK, so we have the Centurion Community on line here and Centurion has a solid surf reputation. I know that the Avalanche makes an excellent surf wake on both sides. I’m going to experience the Enzo wake in about a month.

I went about as far as you can go with the older Lighting, too far really. That a large part of the reason I made the leap to an Enzo.

Here’s mine for the Mighty Centurion (Lightning)

Port surf side:

180 Center tank full

750 Port locker

750 Under the bench

270 bag weight port bow

81 port side tower mounted weights

2030 Total not counting peps

post-47-1205287091_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205287188_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205287315_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205287362_thumb.jpg

post-47-1205287108_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205287599_thumb.jpg

Goofy side

180 Center tank full

750 Port locker

750 Under the bench

270 bag weight port bow

81 Starboard side tower mounted weights

post-47-1205287759_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205287789_thumb.jpg

We ran a pair of Avalanches at the NWL Wakesurf Nationals in Dayton last year. Here’s the set up as I recall it.

Regular boat and set up I might be a little off

..Center tank full

..Port tank full

.. 810 sack port side laying over the clamshell - opposite of the driver

..280 sack in the port locker

..280 sack on the bench

..300 bag weight under the port bow

..Peps on the port side

post-47-1205288037_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205288048_thumb.jpg

Goofy - Avy not a C4 Pretty sure about this set up

..Center tank full

..Starboard tank full

..750 FH on the floor behind the driver

.. 400 FH in the back of the walk through

.. 400 FH on the front part of the walk through and over the 750

.. 270 bag weight under the starboard bow

..Peps on the starboard side

post-47-1205288157_thumb.jpgpost-47-1205288244_thumb.jpg

So what are your wakesurf set ups?

I would like to know too. We have tried several different scenarios with the Avy and can't quite get it right. Come on guys chime in!!!!!

Drew - I know you've got them all figured out....What do we do? Thanks in advance.

See you Friday Ed.

WakeDoc    471

Do not know what is the best but, I can tell you where we are starting. We ordered the 240 Enzo with the bow sac, mid ship ballast, side ballast and rear ballast. The mid ship and rear ballast tanks will be removed and replaced with an Fly High Enzo sac. Both the mid ship and rear fill, drain and over flow lines will be plumbed into the sac giving the ability to fill and drain faster. As soon as we get it converted and on the water we will post pics of the wake and let everyone know what tweaks we made to get it were we want it.

I THINK SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE OVER THINKING. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE ALL THAT WEIGHT. i HAVE HAD AVY'S FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS AND I NEVER ONCE NEEDED THAT MUCH WAKE. WITH MY NEW AVY- I FILL CENTER BALLAST AND PORT(STARBOARD DEPENDING ON WHAT SIDE YOU RIDE) I PUT 150 LBS IN THE FLOOR SPACE IN TH EBOW. SET MY SWITCHBLADE TO 2 AND SHIFT EVERY ONE IN TH EBOAT OVER. USUALLY ABOUT 2 OR 3 GUYS AT MOST.

IN MY PAST ONES WITHOUT SWITCHBLADE I WOULD FILL ALL FACTORY BALLAST CENTER PORT AND STARBAORD. SAME WEIGHT IN TH EFRONT. AND THEN I HAD A 300 LBS BAG I LEFT ON TH EBACK SEAT AND JUST MOVED TO ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER AND THE WAKE WAS GREAT. i HAVE NEVER HAD ANYONE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WAKE. I JUST TOOK SOME FOLKS OUT THIS MORNING FROM PA. WHO HAVE AN ENZO AND WERE AMAZED AT HOW GOOD MY SURF WAKE WAS. SO THERE IS MY DEAL FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE.

DREW

Bigshow    0

Most of my crew ride with a goofy stance. I put a lot of work in to improving the goofy wake on the Lightning. The wake on the goofy side of the old Lightning was poor – un-surfable with stock triple ballast. With stock ballast the regular wake isn’t that good. Adding weight helped tremendously. Removing the tracking fins helped clean up goofy wake.

What really helps the Lightning wake is listing the boat at 20 degrees. While still holding the rope I asked wakesurfer to surf on the wrong side of the boat. Then I asked him to pull on the rope. The wake went from mushy to beautiful with out adding weight.

I think that ski boat roots of the old Lighning hull make it particularly difficult to work with. To make a good surfing wake I think you want the hull to side slip or dog track a little. Ski hulls like the Lightning are made to go straight.

I’ve had only limited experiences with the Avalanche. I had one for a day before Nationals. I set up the ballast as suggested by the owner of the other Avy that pulled at Nationals. We spent a day tweaking the wake with the ballast that we had on hand. The goofy and regular wakes were very balanced. We got complements from the goofy stance riders.