h20king    794

H: I think the 3/8 aluminum you suggested should work great. It is really solid. My biggest concern (and I wont know until I get it out on the lake) is if I hit a big roller at speed and it causes the cross bar to flex in the middle. With that said, I don't think this will be at all very likely. The set up feels very solid.

With regards to speakers, the tower is done. I don't have any room to add anything else. It was either the Rev 410 or the racks and for what I do 95% of the time, my current stereo is way more than I need already. So adding the racks was a no brainer.

Bro I think you made the right choice.I love the fact that with the bimini up the boards are out of the sun.What color do you plan to powdercoat everything??white on the cross bar and red on the racks??

LakeSurfer    10

Bro I think you made the right choice.I love the fact that with the bimini up the boards are out of the sun.What color do you plan to powdercoat everything??white on the cross bar and red on the racks??

I think I am going to spray the cross bar red like the speakers. With the pads and boards, you really cant see the actual racks. I was going to spray all of it, but the quotes I got were around $300 to get everything done.

DrNate    426

Since I got a lot of questions about the bimini, I dragged mine out and put it up. I have to say, since its a 7' tower and I am not close to 7', putting it on the tower is a PITA for me. So Nate, you owe me a beer.

With that said, there is plenty of clearance for the boards. I dont even have to remove the fins.

I think I owe your more than a beer, brother. More like a 6 pack! I'll pay you that at the Crew Meet. I guess it's time to "pay the Piper" too to get one of my own :) And also, to find out where you had that fabbed, and how much. Also, what type and size of screws fit into that spot. PM me if you want and don't forget to inlcude your choice of beverage :)

Thanks a ton, man, you just solved a major problem for a lot of us!

Edited by DrNate

doug743    53

lake, do you plan on keeping the surf/wake skylons or changing them. I ordered a new surf/surf with new design and larger, wider, fingers from skylon. I like the samson, but they are twice the cost as the skylons.

LakeSurfer    10

I think I owe your more than a beer, brother. More like a 6 pack! I'll pay you that at the Crew Meet. I guess it's time to "pay the Piper" too to get one of my own :) And also, to find out where you had that fabbed, and how much. Also, what type and size of screws fit into that spot. PM me if you want and don't forget to inlcude your choice of beverage :)

I am much better on the design and not so good at the actual fabrication. So what I did was take take Piper's racks, a 50" by 4" piece of 3/8 6061 aluminum and a set of the old wet sounds racks to a metal fabricator. He cut the 6061 to 41 1/4 inches, cut the same mounting holes the WS brackets had and cut holes for Piper's racks 7 inches from each side. I get this all home, realized the mounting holes to the tower where just a little off (my fault not the fab guy). So I widened them out a little with a drill bit. The screws Piper sent with the racks are the same size that go in the speaker mounts. So I went down to Lows and picked a few more up.

The only thing that took a lot of time was when I tried to create the cross bar myself. I wasted an entire day. Got so mad and tired, I just took it to the fab guy.

Really a pretty straight forward. Having the WS speaker racks really helped out a lot. Took a lot of the guess work out from measuring everything.

Bought the aluminum here:

http://www.cut2sizem...inum/plate/apl/

The fab guy charged me $90. I could have probably found someone cheaper. The 1st guy I came to was a high end fab guy (think race cars) and he told me it was not worth his time for anything less. I figured if I spend some time looking around I could have maybe gotten it done for $60. If you are good at measuring, the fab is really straight forward. Heck you really could do it with just a drill bit. The problem is that if you are a little off, you are screwed. I wanted the cross bar to look real clean, so I did not want to chance it.

Edited by LakeSurfer

LakeSurfer    10

lake, do you plan on keeping the surf/wake skylons or changing them. I ordered a new surf/surf with new design and larger, wider, fingers from skylon. I like the samson, but they are twice the cost as the skylons.

I am keeping the surf/wake. I really think of these as surf/skim since the skim boards fit right in snug. I have a few buddies that skim and if my kids every want to wakeboard, I have racks for those as well.

Edited by LakeSurfer

LakeSurfer    10

Well I am officially done with the boat. I had the racks sprayed red. I think they came out great. Like I said before, this had turned out better than I thought it would. The racks are very solid and will fit two boards each if necessary.

post-465-0-52039100-1333564518_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-53708400-1333564524_thumb.jpg

DrNate    426

that looks sooooooo good Lake! My wife threatened to take my life if I did any more mods to the boat this year, so this one is #1 on the list for next year. Great job!

doug743    53

i wonder if this is stock.. check out the bimini surf sock idea.

LakeSurfer    10

^^^ That is a Tige option you can get and it would be easy to copy if you took your bimini to somebody. With that said, that would be tough on a 7ft tower like the Gladiator tower. I would have to stand on the side of the boat to reach it.The Alpha Z is only a 6 ft tower so it would be easier. Also, if you are going to do it, I would rather it be made of mesh so air/water/dirt can flow through it. In any event, the way mine is done will be much sturdier than that and it is fully shaded.

Here is a good link on Tige Owner's where they are talking about the Surf Bimini.

http://www.tigeowner...?t=14468&page=3

Edited by LakeSurfer

DrNate    426

Yeah, that would be impossible on the Gladiator. I'm tall and I couldn't reach it

truekaotik    458

Very impressive Lake :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hendo    11
post-890-0-15988000-1333584073_thumb.jpg The girl on the back looks like she's enjoying her day. Probably let down with the wave....... :thumbdown:

doug743    53

i am 6'4 and like the idea. I am going to make a custom cargo net that will work on top of the bimini. We will see how it go's thanks

duffymahoney    10

I am going to install the racks on top. Then I am going to have a small hole cut in my bimini and make a quick release for the rack. That way they can stay on top and I can still use the racks. At least that's my plan. We cold water surfers only need the bimini like 3 weeks a year:)

piper907    0

I am going to install the racks on top. Then I am going to have a small hole cut in my bimini and make a quick release for the rack. That way they can stay on top and I can still use the racks. At least that's my plan. We cold water surfers only need the bimini like 3 weeks a year:)

wadaya talkin' about!?!?!... I use the bimini all the time... to keep the driver happy when it's raining! ;)

Chrisj4207    18

So I have been trying to figure out how to hang a few more surfboards on Gladiator tower. Thanks to Pipers new racks, I got it figured out. I had a cross bar fabbed and then mounted Piper's racks to it. The cross bar is mounted to the upper mount tower speaker location. The pics have to only two boards, but I believe there is room for 2 in each rack. I also believe clearance under the boards is around 6' 3 " (have not had a chance to measure it). I really think this came out great!

One it has been lake tested and proved to hold up. I am going to have the racks spread red like the rings on my Rev 10s.

Where do I get those piper racks? Does Dakine make them ? I really want this mod for my boards the racks are nice but they destroy the boards

Chrisj4207    18
Since I got a lot of questions about the bimini, I dragged mine out and put it up. I have to say, since its a 7' tower and I am not close to 7', putting it on the tower is a PITA for me. So Nate, you owe me a beer.

With that said, there is plenty of clearance for the boards. I dont even have to remove the fins.[/quote

I want to build these racks

So I have been trying to figure out how to hang a few more surfboards on Gladiator tower. Thanks to Pipers new racks, I got it figured out. I had a cross bar fabbed and then mounted Piper's racks to it. The cross bar is mounted to the upper mount tower speaker location. The pics have to only two boards, but I believe there is room for 2 in each rack. I also believe clearance under the boards is around 6' 3 " (have not had a chance to measure it). I really think this came out great!

One it has been lake tested and proved to hold up. I am going to have the racks spread red like the rings on my Rev 10s.

Hey there howya doing ? I love those racks I wants

I tried to get ahold of piper but it won't let me send a message

I found the dakine pads and the straps

But that piece of aluminium that's inside the pad that holds the straps I cannot find

Fabricating the bracket to hold them doesn't seem to tough

So where did you get those pieces of aluminum that are inside the pads???

Nice rig

Thanks chris

Chrisj4207    18

Lake....DOOD!!!! that looks soo sweet :)

That is the first time I have seen my racks mounted upside down.

Very very sweet setup!!! Thanks for posting up!

Hey piper907 I tried to send you a message but I won't let me. I would love to buy a pair of those racks if there still available. I hope you get this post . I know it's a year old

Thanks chris

Hilikecj77@msn.com

Gimme a buzz