Gumby    0

Hi guys.

Curious if anyone has a recommendation for battery specs for a 2009 Av C4 with Merc Scorpion. Factory battery is shot, and I need to replace it for the coming season.

Would prefer a single, dual purpose if a decent one exists. But I have a dual battery switch already, so could go with two batteries if optimal. Not sure if I need to modify the alternator if I go dual. So would appreciate insights on that as well.

Typical usage is 4-6 starts in a day on the water, with moderate resting with stereo, etc.

I'm trying to determine required cranking amps for the Scorpion as I think that's the biggest draw of power for us.

Thanks in advance.

Gumby

duramat    462

I picked up two marine grade batts from autozone (2 seasons ago)

DURALAST 24MD-DL 85 amp hours 685 cranking amps

They've been good so far, and done well. Imabout ready to put in the new sound system 500watts total? So we'll see how they do this season :thumbsup:

truekaotik    458

Does height, width, length or weight matter to you? Interstate is what I used to run and it's excellent.

truekaotik    458

Duralast Does a dual purpose also in a 950ca and a 1000ca also..if you want to run one of what Dura has mentioned also..

Packrat    13

Seriously consider two batteries since you already have the switch. There is nothing worse that being stuck on the lake with a dead battery. Additionally it will provide some security always having a back up battery. Be sure no matter which battery you get that you get two of the exact same batteries. I know you probably don't want to hear this but I have tried a multitude of batteries and unfortunately the best has always been the Ultima Blue top. The unfortunate part is that they are the most expensive although Costco does have some of them. Second best I have heard are the Deka batteries. Do a search on Wakeworld to find more about them. Keep them charged all the time too. See H2king's set up on the charger it's the best one I have seen. I have tried Delco Marine, Die Hard, Costco and West Marine all of which didn't last. Of note though I do not have access to my boat in the winter so for 8 months they don't get charged.

RhuntIII    555

I didn't like the blue top. The blue top battery lasted just under two years in the duck boat and for the price I felt the warranty should have been longer. I now have a marine grade battery from O'Reilly's and when not in use, a battery maintainer. This battery did well this last season even under the 600 watt lights. I was told that when a deep cycle battery looses its charge that it may never come back. Both duck and ski boat have battery maintainers installed and are plugged in when in storage. An Interstate battery and another brand in the ski boat. When I get a chance I'll find out what each battery is and post it.

h20king    794

I run two group 27 interstate deep cycle marine batterys.I dont care for the gell batterys in a boat application.I have used interstate for years and have never been let down

Spud    7

I run two group 27 interstate deep cycle marine batterys.I dont care for the gell batterys in a boat application.I have used interstate for years and have never been let down

X2, I had 24's in my Elite and the Exide's that came in the Falcon lasted a year.

Packrat    13

Where's the best buy on the group 27 Interstate ones?

h20king    794

:spiteful:

Where's the best buy on the group 27 Interstate ones?

You could always come down and get them from Dave that way no sales tax :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful: ..........................H

acman    59

No hijack intended, but I am replacing a group 24 battery. Only 1 is dead, my fault. I want to replace it with a group 27, mainly due to the reserve capacity is 180 vers 140 and the amp hour is 115 vers 85. Will need a new battery tray and batteries are under port seat but will fit. Length is 1.25 " longer. What's the issue with different battery types. Boat has blue sea primary/combine switch and vsr for charging. House battery is running amps and stero. Starting battery runs the rest, from what I can tell.

Troy. R    198

I've read some positive reviews on the Costco batteries...

acman    59

I'm I missing something on the blue tops batteries? The resurve capacity does not compare with dual purpose wet cells?

Edited by acman

poosie    7

just reading all the posts. Im going to be adding a 2nd battery as well. is it really necessary to have 2 identical batteries or just the same power output or does it even matter. i just bought a new battery last year and wont have the space to install the same type.

acman    59

No its not an issue. Although having the same ratings make a better house bank. I would stay with all wet cells or all AGM though.

Edited by acman

poosie    7

Have to admit to some ignorance when it comes to batteries. I understand how to install a 2nd unit but am not real familar with the dual purpose units. After reading this thread is seams as though some people just run 1 dual purpose instead of 2 regular batteries. would it be acceptable to run everything from a high end dual purpose instead of adding a 2nd battery. I would rather not if i dont have to. will have stock ballast pump and 2 johnson ultra pumps when finnished with ballast project. otherwise just listen to music which has an amp but no subwoffer ect. we probably fill up 2-3 time per day but with automatic fill/dump probably will be more. if the general concensus is to add a 2 nd battery then that is what it will do.