CoastalJim

Need help replacing Steering cable

CoastalJim    0

I have a 2003 Avalanche C4. I'm in the process of putting in a new steering cable but can't seem to figure out how to remove the old cable. I can't break loose the 1 1/8" nut (from the front of the shaft) from what I'm assuming is a stabilizing bracket (which is mounted under the motor). I've now noticed a plastic nut near the rear of the shaft. How can I disconnect the cable from this bracket to allow the old cable to slide out.

Thanks for any insight

EdwardsZX    0

If you have a new cable already, look at it and see how it comes apart.

If its the same as my 2001, the 1 1/8 nut just spins off then undo the linkage at the rudder and you pull the whole cable through the support.

I know its a tight squeeze to get anything down there and do anything. I cut the hadle off cresent wrench down to about 6" long. Worked pretty good. The nut shouldn't be too tight so it should still give you enough leverage to get it off.

superdtf    68

Remember to leave the old cable in place before you get the new one; you'll need it to pul the new one through.

Mossy    0

I just replaced my steering cable on a 2003 sport bowrider and things went very smooth. There was no way to use the old cable to pull the new cable thru the cable path. Impossible. Try using some wd40 and let it penetrate thru the threads. It should come loose with a little force. I had great results after the cable was replaced.

vr6wannabe    0

anyone shed some light on what steering cable to buy? trying to replace mine on a 1997 sport bowrider

boatdr    1

I have a 2003 Avalanche C4. I'm in the process of putting in a new steering cable but can't seem to figure out how to remove the old cable. I can't break loose the 1 1/8" nut (from the front of the shaft) from what I'm assuming is a stabilizing bracket (which is mounted under the motor). I've now noticed a plastic nut near the rear of the shaft. How can I disconnect the cable from this bracket to allow the old cable to slide out.

Thanks for any insight

The best way to remove the cable is to remove the pin out of the clevis at the end of the cable where it attaches to the rudder arm, then remove the clamp block that holds the steering tube. Pull the whole assy out, Then you can get at the 1 1/8 nut that holds the cable in the tube. sometimes the cable is stuck in the tube so you may have to replace it anyway.

• Like 1

boatdr    1

anyone shed some light on what steering cable to buy? trying to replace mine on a 1997 sport bowrider

It should be a Teleflex back mount rack cable part # ssc12418

anthonyv911    0

Call Shell at Centurion, she will sell you the right one.( got mine for a buck fifty no shipping charge) I replaced mine in my 04 with help from my friend with small hands! I couldnt get my hands down there. you need two wrenchs, so you can hold the bolts while you take the nylon nut off. There are 4 of them. Remove the floor panel also, its alot easier to thread the cable. You don’t have to leave the old one in. Also don’t forget to put the little kotter pin back in, and snug up the rubber seal.

1markp    0

I just replaced the steering cable on my 04 Cyclone this weekend, thank you to all that have contributed to these forums, your info and encouragment

gave me what I needed to go for it myself. Here are a few things I had to do to get it done. I'm 6'1' 250lbs, so getting my body into the locker in order to reach the hardware to disconect the cable took a little extra work. First I removed the cross member that holds the engine cover, and the locker cover up,it's the black angle iron running front to back. next I removed a couple of coolant hoses that were in the way and then I loosened up the bracket for

the oil filter so I could move it a liitle and get my hands down in there to fight with the hardware. I say fight because my knuckles look like I was in a

fist fight from craming them down in there. One thing I would have done different If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get it completed is I would have

taken the bottom piece of the block clamp to a welder and had him weld the bolts in place to make it a little easier the next time. I cant help but wonder

if all the goop that had built up in the tube that the rode that attaches to the rutter assembly was causing some of the problem. Night and day difference now that it's complete, cant wait to get it in the water.

dezul    10

I just replaced the steering cable on my 04 Cyclone this weekend, thank you to all that have contributed to these forums, your info and encouragment

gave me what I needed to go for it myself. Here are a few things I had to do to get it done. I'm 6'1' 250lbs, so getting my body into the locker in order to reach the hardware to disconect the cable took a little extra work. First I removed the cross member that holds the engine cover, and the locker cover up,it's the black angle iron running front to back. next I removed a couple of coolant hoses that were in the way and then I loosened up the bracket for

the oil filter so I could move it a liitle and get my hands down in there to fight with the hardware. I say fight because my knuckles look like I was in a

fist fight from craming them down in there. One thing I would have done different If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get it completed is I would have

taken the bottom piece of the block clamp to a welder and had him weld the bolts in place to make it a little easier the next time. I cant help but wonder

if all the goop that had built up in the tube that the rode that attaches to the rutter assembly was causing some of the problem. Night and day difference now that it's complete, cant wait to get it in the water.

I also did exactly what you said except I left the brace and squeezed inside the locker. I unattached the two water hoses also. The hand nut on the steering cable was a pain to loosen. I was spec'd out a different cable than the one installed in the boat. I wished I would have taken pictures and posted them on here.

truekaotik    458

Just wanted to add to this thread that I replaced my cable with the help of this thread. I would like to add to it for any future crew...

I have a 05' any c4 and needed a new steering cable, so I got under the dash (help from this site) and found the number for my cable. Now for the install...

First off I set the rudder and steering straight, if the steering wheel is off, don't worry you will fix that at the end. Just make sure the rudder is straight. I took the floor out, side cup holder (to left) under dash, panel in-between motor and port locker, both hoses to impeller, and that was it ( I left the ballast tank in). I used a 1 1/8' wrench as advised, broke the nut loose, then used my hand to take it the rest of the way off. Moved to the rudder and used a pair of needle nose to do the pin work and unhooked. Climbed out of locker and up to the underside of the steering wheel. there I undid the four 7/16" bolts on the rack and placed it on the floor. then i went to get the rope like suggested and started thinking... "why do i need this i can see everything".... So I didn't use it, just checked to see how it was ran so I knew how the new one would go. I then pulled it out from the steering rack end, all the way up to the hole it goes thru, and out..... Ok re-install time...

Grabbed the new cable and fed it back the way it came out. Re hooked up the 1 1/8' nut, hooked the rudder back up. Then i jumped out of the boat to make sure the rudder hadn't moved off being straight. It was straight so i jumped back in and flipped on my back to under dash. Took the steering wheel and made sure it was straight as well, then put the rack back where it went. DONE..... well besides putting the hoses back on, the floor back in, the side panel cup holder and the rear locker divider in... LOL

it took longer than it sounds and had some cussing going on... :rolleyes: Only thing i probably would do different next time is that i would pull the exhaust to give better access to the rudder... that was the worst part for me.... Hope this helps someone in the future as this site has done for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John D    0
Just wanted to add to this thread that I replaced my cable with the help of this thread. I would like to add to it for any future crew...

I have a 05' any c4 and needed a new steering cable, so I got under the dash (help from this site) and found the number for my cable. Now for the install...

First off I set the rudder and steering straight, if the steering wheel is off, don't worry you will fix that at the end. Just make sure the rudder is straight. I took the floor out, side cup holder (to left) under dash, panel in-between motor and port locker, both hoses to impeller, and that was it ( I left the ballast tank in). I used a 1 1/8' wrench as advised, broke the nut loose, then used my hand to take it the rest of the way off. Moved to the rudder and used a pair of needle nose to do the pin work and unhooked. Climbed out of locker and up to the underside of the steering wheel. there I undid the four 7/16" bolts on the rack and placed it on the floor. then i went to get the rope like suggested and started thinking... "why do i need this i can see everything".... So I didn't use it, just checked to see how it was ran so I knew how the new one would go. I then pulled it out from the steering rack end, all the way up to the hole it goes thru, and out..... Ok re-install time...

Grabbed the new cable and fed it back the way it came out. Re hooked up the 1 1/8' nut, hooked the rudder back up. Then i jumped out of the boat to make sure the rudder hadn't moved off being straight. It was straight so i jumped back in and flipped on my back to under dash. Took the steering wheel and made sure it was straight as well, then put the rack back where it went. DONE..... well besides putting the hoses back on, the floor back in, the side panel cup holder and the rear locker divider in... LOL

it took longer than it sounds and had some cussing going on... :rolleyes: Only thing i probably would do different next time is that i would pull the exhaust to give better access to the rudder... that was the worst part for me.... Hope this helps someone in the future as this site has done for me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:[/quot

I know this is a old thread but it helped me replace my cable in my 5 c4 Avalanche I had bought a 19', it should of been 20'. I just didn't route it up through the front locker. I stayed on the drivers side of the wall, worked great. I used a claw foot 1 1/8 wrench and it worked pretty well. I second that the pin is the worst of the project, not that any of it is easy.

Copenglenn    44

The best way to remove the cable is to remove the pin out of the clevis at the end of the cable where it attaches to the rudder arm, then remove the clamp block that holds the steering tube. Pull the whole assy out, Then you can get at the 1 1/8 nut that holds the cable in the tube. sometimes the cable is stuck in the tube so you may have to replace it anyway.

This is exactly the process I took with my 05 SV230.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traezman    0

It sucked replacing the cable, the compression nut was froze on mine and had to pull the 4 1/4 20 nuts off of the bracket. When I was finally able to get the cable off and Reinstalled I used epoxy on the bolts and then was able to tighten the locking nuts. Shy of pulling the motor you can really get one hand down there.