Sign in to follow this  
h20king

New tow rig

h20king    794

Well the half ton GMC was just not cutting it.After shopping the big three we decided on a one ton dodge short bed crew cab with the new Cummings high output turbo diesel.We got a chance to try it out with the boat yesterday and all I can say is wow how did I ever live without one of these.It was evident things were different from the time I dropped the hitch on the ball.The truck did not move or squat in the rear with the extra weight unlike the GMC.Got everything hooked up jumped behind the wheel and headed out. I had to keep checking to make sure the boat was back their because you can not feel it.To my amazement the truck rode better with the boat hooked up than it did without and this was not the case with the GMC.Here are some pics of the new ride it is still lacking some customization but if you are familiar with my posts you know their on the way just not positive what I'm doing yet other than wheels and tires..........................H

post-777-0-56070200-1313244979_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-78366000-1313245046_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-07494100-1313245749_thumb.jpg

Edited by h20king

islander033    2

Looks good H. Congrats

X2!

I'm gonna take a serious look at diesel options on my next truck in a few years.

Edited by islander033

h20king    794

Thanks guys islander when your ready to upgrade don't look just do you will be truly amazed at the difference.This is only the second truck I have ever owned and my first diesel so I'm still learning the ropes but the one thing I can say is the difference is immediately noticeable..........................H

Big Po    1

Glad to see some more Cummins diesel fans on here. I drive a 2007 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins, and I love it.

Harold, if you would like a good site to frequent that can give you some great ideas, upgrades, and just talk Cummins, then www.cumminsforum.com will be your kinda place. You should check it out.

I don't know if your state tests emissions or not, but if they don't, one of the best mods to your truck will be removal of all that junk, and putting a good tuner on it. Helps your fuel mileage tremendously.

waketoowake    0

Nice choice. I'm on my 3rd dodge diesel and hands down the best mod for your truck will be a Mads smarty Sr. Power tuned. Gain fuel mileage and power. To do it right you will need intake and exhaust done with it but it is the best mod you can do to your truck. I'll try and post some pics of my current and past trucks.

Big Po    1

I run a Smarty on my Cummins too. Best tuner on the market, next to EFI Live. Which is currently available for the 5.9 Cummins, and will be available shortly for the 6.7 Cummins.

Red Falcon    1

Nice rig. I am a big fan of mine. My favorite things beside the towing is the heated sterring wheel in the winter and the AC seats in the summer.

post-1068-0-51951500-1313284947_thumb.jpg

h20king    794

Nice rig. I am a big fan of mine. My favorite things beside the towing is the heated steering wheel in the winter and the AC seats in the summer.

yeah loving the AC seats and the sunroof.Will give the heated seats and steering wheel a try this winter.Love your set up same as mine just reversed :thumbsup: ........................................H

Big Po    1

Unfortunately mine was pre-A/C seats.....I did get to sit in one with them not too long ago. Felt like I was sitting on an air hockey table. LOL it was really nice considering it was about 95* outside with like 75% humidity...It was nasty & sticky.

I have been wanting to trade mine in for a newer model just like mine with the A/C seats & a sunroof. But that will be a while from now. Long after I sell the boat, and get financially stable.

I've already done the grown up thing and moved out, so once I get the boat sold and my credit card debt settled, then I might look into getting a newer truck. But for now, mine is running great.

Congrats on your new ride Harold. Be sure and look into the deletes, they will really make your truck much more reliable, and run better, and better fuel mileage.

Edited by Big Po

Carter13    69

My 2010 Cummins is bone stock, just turned 13,000 miles and it has not missed a beat.

Doing deletes will not make a 6.7 more reliable, it will however void your warranty.

elc    2

Nice rig H!

DFR    1

Definitely a nice tow rig!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? Ball park figure.

h20king    794

Definitely a nice tow rig!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? Ball park figure.

window sticker was right around $58K and I paid $45,990 and got $25,500 for the GMC in trade

CeeDee    16

I am on my second Dodge with the Cummins. First was a 91. Put 300,000 km's on it and never did any major work. Have an 07 now with 80,0000 km's on it and no problems so far. Both have hauled a camper and pulled a boat as long as I have owned them. Even with the camper on the back it's hard to tell the boat is back there.

WakeDoc    471

Congrats on the NEW Ride, I am sure you will love the truck, everyone always says once you go diesel you will never go back and I can for sure say that is a FACT. We replaced our Dodge 1500 Hemi with a 2500 Mega Cab last year see pic of the rig below. The first mod we did was done by the dealer, we had all the badges removed except the one on the tailgate, had it painted black, made the truck look so much cleaner. Below is a list of the things about the truck that I never knew I needed.

dodge.JPG

1. The upgraded media center, some is great some never gets used, this is the first truck I have had navigation on which is great. While it works fine the DVD system never gets used. Being able to fill the hard drive full of music etc. is a cool. And the aux jack on the front makes it easy to hook in with a mp3 player etc., the iPod interface is great and it took me awhile to realize that the usb port is behind the "button" above the input jack.

2. Engine brake is on all the time, I am sure people behind me hate it when I slow down without hitting the brakes...LOL. Like someone else stated it keeps the system cleaner and keeps the engine regens to a minimum.

3. The inverter gets a lot of use, charging the camera battery or iPod on the way to the lake, powering the laptop, you get the idea. Didn’t use it much at first until we started to remember it was there.

4. Had this on the last truck but, still great to not have to get out of the truck to go to 4wheel, just turn the knob and up the wet boat ramp you go.

5. Heated seats, had them in the last truck and will do what I can to always have them going forward. Kid that sold us the last 1500 had one of the best sales lines I have ever heard. me-"who cares, what do I need heated seats for I live in Houston, it is only cold 3 days out of the year" kid-"think about this, long day at work, stuck in traffic, reach over and hit the warmer and relax and let the heat take you stress away." LOL - SOLD.

6. Air conditioned seat are the best thing since the invention of beer, by far the best upgrade I have ever had on a vehicle in my entire life.

7. Put it in tow mode and turn on the engine brake and you hardly have to touch the brakes, love the way this truck tows.

8. Parking assist, turn it off when you put something on the hitch but, this alert system is nice when parking.

BEST FEATURE ON THE TRUCK:

For us with the mega cab is like parking a limo, you need all the space you can get so you are not sticking out beyond the other cars. The backup camera makes it a breeze, spot on when aligning the hitch on the trailer is nice to. I have gotten to where I do not even look back when backing up. If this went out after warranty I would have no problem having it fixed. A lot of other nice features on the Laramie package, for the upgrade cost you get a lot. Overall we absolutely love our Dodge truck.

gallery_66_177_30990.jpg