Troy. R

Board help please

Troy. R    198

Ok, so just like everyone on this site told me would happen, my wife and I find ourselves doing much more surfing and much less wakeboarding. I bought a CWB Ride this past offseason as kind of a boat board/something that even the 265 + guys in my crew could ride. It has been a great board for that and I’ll probably always keep it for that purpose, but it’s time to upgrade for myself and my wife. I’m 215 and my wife is 125ish.

I was thinking of going with a Phase 5 Razz for myself and a Phase 5 Icon for my wife. I like that they are compression molded as I am worried about the fragility of some of the more “high end” boards. What are the pros and cons of the glass boards vs. compression molded? Does anyone out there have any thoughts on these boards or have a recommendation of other boards we might want to consider?

WakeDoc    471

We were at an event over the weekend that Triple-x had donated a board to, first time I had actually put my hands on one of their new Bamboo Eco Core Skim Style Wakesurfers, actually the yellow version, the one in the picture below. I was very impressed with the contruction, fit and finish of it. It was sitting next to a phase5 textulim constructed board the shapes were about the same, rocker included and picking one up in each hand they felt to weigh about the same. We have owned several of the Triple-X boards through the years and have really enjoyed them and they have held up well. With a difference of a 100 plus dollars in price I would consider a Triple-X.

gallery_7_136_22175.jpg

Joe B    17

Check the classifieds as the IS Squirt would be a good board for you. Hybrid though.

Icon or Drew small for the wife is perfect, If you can buck up the Drew XL is much better of a board than the Razz but both should satisfy. Sounds like you already know compression is more durable, and IS boards the way they are made are more durable than hand shaped glass.

Bigcatpt    408

I believe the CWB ride is a surf style board. The phase 5 boards are more of a skim style board and will feel totally different than your experience on the surf style board.

If you indeed do want a skim style board then the phase 5 boards are great boards. If you want to stay with a surf style board then look at the Inland Surfer boards like the Blue Lake or Mucas. The IS squirt is kinda a hybrid board that will ride like a skim board if you only use one fin and will feel more surfy if you use 2 fins. The IS boards are very durable too.

1911    4

I am 230 lbs and have a phase 5 razz. The board is very fun and spins very easily. It took me a while to get the feel for it, as I had never rode a skim style board before. I also have a IS blue lake and mucus. I really enjoy the mucus. i dont ride the blue lake much anymore, as the mucus is a very fun board to ride. The razz takes a lot more work, in my opinion, but easier to pull off spins on, at least for me. Both boards are very durable. I dont think you can go wrong with either one. I can tell you that I ride my mucus much more than the razz.

waketoowake    0

Hey Troy.R I have a shed stixx Jo Mako if you would like to try it out give me a PM. It's not a super durable board but you will know what type of board you really will enjoy, especially if you demo multiple boards.

Edited by waketoowake

Troy. R    198

Hey Troy.R I have a shed stixx Jo Mako if you would like to try it out give me a PM. It's not a super durable board but you will know what type of board you really will enjoy, especially if you demo multiple boards.

Wake,

I'd love to try out your board. I sent you a PM. We'll be at McClure Saturday if you can make it.

Troy. R    198

We were at an event over the weekend that Triple-x had donated a board to, first time I had actually put my hands on one of their new Bamboo Eco Core Skim Style Wakesurfers, actually the yellow version, the one in the picture below. I was very impressed with the contraction, fit and finish of it. It was sitting next to a phase5 textulim constructed board the shapes were about the same, rocker included and picking one up in each hand they felt to weigh about the same. We have owned several of the Triple-X boards through the years and have really enjoyed them and they have held up well. With a difference of a 100 plus dollars in price I would consider a Triple-X.

gallery_7_136_22175.jpg

Doc,

After reading your post I checked out the Triple-X on the CCC store and they look pretty sweet! What size would you recommend for me?

Troy. R    198

Thanks to everyone else for your advise as well. Please if you have any other recommendations or suggestions let me know. After seeing the feedback thus far I think I have some more research to do before I make my decision.

WakeDoc    471

Doc,

After reading your post I checked out the Triple-X on the CCC store and they look pretty sweet! What size would you recommend for me?

It really depends on what you truely want to do with the board, if you are buying it just for yourself and want to grow into it as you become more skilled riding it I would suggest the 54 inch but, you would be at the limits of the board weight wise. On the other hand a 58 inch would give you a board that would still give you the ability to be agressive, give you some room for a little winter weight if needed next season and the 265 lb. crew member will most likely also be able to ride it with a little practice. Let me know if you have any other questions?

superdtf    68

I bought my wife a Liquid Force Fish. It was relatively inexpensive and she likes it. In fact, it has become the most popular board on the boat. I ride Phase 5 DD Carbon for skim, and now I ride hers for my surf style.

I'm thinking of a blue lake carbon fiber rail, but who knows...

DarksideR    1,679

I may be parting with my P5 DD Texalium XL that I bought from Drew last year if you decide to go that route. I just picked up a carbon Large and will be trying it out as soon as the weather co-operates. I have to see if I'm happy with my new purchase before parting with the XL. PM me if interested.

I haven't ridden too many boards myself, but I do love my XL.

DONT BUY A RIP OFF-KNOCK OFF XXX

Edited by Drew Danielo

WakeDoc    471

DONT BUY A RIP OFF-KNOCK OFF XXX

WOW...:shock: That is quite the post from a team rider and employee of phase5. Did I miss something? Did phase5 invent the skimboard? Is every skimboard in the industry a "KNOCK OFF" of phase5... :unknw:

Yes I am a rider for Phase 5. And well we didnt invent the skimboard we do have 35+ years building them. And I was referring to seeing one of there boards at worlds and five or six of us took there "texalium" board and laid it next to a P@#&E 5 and wouldnt you know it an exact copy. HAHAHA No worries though. OURS ARE MADE IN AMERICA!!!! And not every skimboard is a knock off. Most companies actually come up with there own designs. Weird.

Edited by Drew Danielo

sorry if that was out of line. I was just trying to send someone to a Legit board manufacturer in teh wakesurfing world. Whether it be Inland, Shred Stix, or Phase 5. These are the companies that are doing the right things.

Edited by Drew Danielo

DarksideR    1,679

Whether it be Inland, Shred Stix, or Phase 5. These are the companies that are doing the right things.

Here Here!

duramat    462

WHAT HE SAID!! ^^