FiremanKen

Need advise on tow vehicle for 240

FiremanKen    0

Hi all,

Bought a 2008 240 this past season and have been pulling it with my sons 98 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. This truck really struggles not only does the truck have 240k miles on it (80k on current motor rebuilt) but it also has lift kit its either 6 or 8 inches with 35 inch tires,,,like I said it really struggles pulling this big boat.

Would a regular (stock) 4x4 1/2 ton pull it reasonably well, or should I look at 3/4 ton etc.... I am looking to buy a truck (used just for pulling the boat)

Curious what other 240 owners are pulling with

would welcome any input

thanks in advance

Ken

WakeDoc    471

I am pulling with a Dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab with a hemi, not the best gas mileage when pulling but, no problems.

FiremanKen    0

Thanks Doc,

Not sure if anyone has told you,,,and I hate to be the bearer of bad news.......but thats not a 240, I believe thats an 84 Fiero

But Im glad too here your hemi pulls it just fine

Glad too here that 1500 pulls it without any issues, Ill have too put that on my list of trucks too luck at

Kenny

post-167-1224214157_thumb.jpg

duramat    462

lololol

If you are going to get a half ton, I would strongly recommend either a newer (04 and up) F-150 or a newer Tundra. The older half tons just don't have what it takes and the newer ones are more like some of the older three quarter tons so they have enough chasis and pulling power. This is just based on my experience.....I am a dealer and pull boats everyday. My current tow vehicle is an 02 F-250 Powerstroke with 150k and it runs like a champ. If I had to buy a gas half ton it would be the F-150. Good luck in your search.

islander033    2
If you are going to get a half ton, I would strongly recommend either a newer (04 and up) F-150 or a newer Tundra. The older half tons just don't have what it takes and the newer ones are more like some of the older three quarter tons so they have enough chasis and pulling power. This is just based on my experience.....I am a dealer and pull boats everyday. My current tow vehicle is an 02 F-250 Powerstroke with 150k and it runs like a champ. If I had to buy a gas half ton it would be the F-150. Good luck in your search.

My company runs newer (07 and up 4x4) F-150's and everyone thinks they are underpowered even when not pulling 4-5 thousand pounds.

I run an 06 dodge 1500 hemi 4x4, IMHO it is just enough to pull my smaller elite-V.

More power the better when towing.

WakeDoc    471
Thanks Doc,

Not sure if anyone has told you,,,and I hate to be the bearer of bad news.......but thats not a 240, I believe thats an 84 Fiero

But Im glad too here your hemi pulls it just fine

Glad too here that 1500 pulls it without any issues, Ill have too put that on my list of trucks too luck at

Kenny

LMFAO...I am going to put a bumper sticker on it that say, "my other boat is a Centurion"

WakeVB    0

Will you be towing over hills/mountains? How many miles will you tow in an average year? I think both of those things should be considered. If its light duty on both questions, I would highly recommend something like the new Tundra. My dad picked one up and it tows an 8K camper like a dream. If you are going over hills/towing quite a bit each year and traveling, I would say to go ahead and go with something bigger than a 1/2 ton. I just think in the long run, you will thank yourself.

I've towed my Cyclone over 2K miles this summer, heck maybe 3K with a 2004 crew cab silverado 1500. (At some point I tried to quit thinking about it) It tows fantastically but I am never on anything more than a little up and down road in the country either. She sucks gas (around 10 mpg on a good day) and I know in the long run its really going to take a toll on the truck. I'd prefer to have an F250 or Silverado 2500, but that new Tundra has nearly changed my mind. They have so much power its redunkulous!

I love truck talk. :drinks:

Edited by WakeVB

elc    2

If you are going to go with a half ton, an 07 or 08 5.7 Tundra would be a great option.

We tow with an 05 tundra (4.7) or 250 diesel super duty. The super duty is overkill for pulling our elite v. If I was towing something with substantial weight 9k+ or we were towing every day, I would go with a super duty. If not, I would go with the a new Tundra.

I pull my 08 Avalanche with an 03 Nissan Pathfinder SUV. It pulls great and at speed. I have not had any problems pulling out of the ramp since it is 2WD only. But thinking about next year trading up for the newer V6 Pathfinder or the V8 Armada.

GOBIG    4

If you are going to pull with a gas burner and are a chevy guy like myself stay away from the 4.6 and 5.3 liters. They make more horsepower but a lot less torque which is what you need. I would go with the 6 liter will not have any problem if buying a newer puckup. But if your 98 has the 350 vortec in it if you will put a lower set of gears in it like 4.10's or 4.56's to compensate for the 35" tires it wont have a problem. Just remember if you do change gear ratios you have to change both front and rear.

duramat    462

I primarily use my 02 Duramax,, no issues whatsoever. But lately Ive been using our 04 Chevy 2500 Suburban with the 6 litre and it tows awesome! I struggled with some of the steep canyon hills to and from powell but all in all it did really well. The milage did go down to about 10 mpg in some parts of the road trip. Before the Burban I used our 97' Yukon with the 5.7 and it did ok, but good enough. I do swear by the 6 litre, the 8 L. would be sweet, but financily would drain the bank! Given the current market on vehicles Im sure you could pick up anything for a steal now.

post-50-1224295615_thumb.jpgpost-50-1224295656_thumb.jpg

ladderrat    0

wassup my fellow smoke choker! here's my 2 cents, been lookin @ trucks the last 2 years, pulled with the buddies f250 deisel n loved it. definitely a towin pig. however, still drivin the 98' expedition 4.6 liter, didnt have as much torque as the 5.4 but it has a wider power band for both HP and torque- it actually drives better in the mouuntains at speed than the larger v-8, the newer tundras are really good for towing because of this too....... so i say, go with what you like, i like takin 9 people in 1 vehicle on trips, little slower off the line but better stories in the end..........

everyone goes home'

wahi wahi

I have a next generation '08 chevrolet silverado crew cab 4x4 with 6.0 Max all aluminum engine.

Truck is rated at 367 hp and 10,500 pounds towing (highest rating for any 1/2 ton).

Truck pulls well, cannot feel my '08 Falcon behind it. The MAX package has 6.0 l, factory exhaust, airbox, transmission, trans cooler, tow package and brake upgrade - well worth the extra $1400...

Gas mileage in mountains towing boat at 75 mph is ~ 11 mpg, on flats doing 65 mph gets ~15 mpg, driving back and forth to work at 65 mph get 18-22 mpg depending on traffic...

ps - definitely outpulls Ford 1/2 ton (drive these at work) and a little more power than the HEMIs. The GMC Danelli would be awewsome with 402 hp and 6 speed transmission, but they have a limit on the towing rating due to AWD/transmission system.

I pulled a 240 from the mt. in Georgia/ N.C. Back to jacksonville, Fl. A 8hr drive with out a boat and about a 10hr pulling. We pulled it with our 07 tahoe 5.3L flex fuel engine. It pulled the boat great. averaged about 12.5 mpg. Not to bad considering the mt. we were in. But I would say if you are pulling through any type of serious mt. get a diesel!!

islander033    2
I have a next generation '08 chevrolet silverado crew cab 4x4 with 6.0 Max all aluminum engine.

Truck is rated at 367 hp and 10,500 pounds towing (highest rating for any 1/2 ton).

The 2009 1500 dodge has the 5.7-litre HEMI® V8 with MDS and VVT (390 hp and 407 lb-ft of torque) and 5-speed automatic transmission

This unit should pull something

Fernslinger    0

Haha! I use a 95 Toyota Tacoma to pull my boat...granted, it is slightly modified :pardon:

Joe B    17

Our next vehicle will be a Yukon XL Denali with 6.2l.

I don't think our Montero 3.5 V6 is ever going to die. Hard to trade in a paid off truck that does all our needs around town. No towing in the mountains with a V6. I upgraded the brakes and HD suspension, but a bit hard to keep it above 60mph on a hill. The tranny would probably drop if we hit the mountains. 130k on the odometer. 19-20hwy, 15 city, 10mpg towing our Avy. Has autostick so I can shift like a manual and we tow only in 4th gear on the highway at 60-65mph.

sleevey    0

Hello, Im sure you have enough answers by now, but thought Id give you mine. I have an 08 240 as well and I pull it with a diesel......an 06 dodge cummins. My mileage is between 13 and 15 mpg. I live In Montana so there are alot of hills and mountains. Ive owned gas and diesel models and I wouldnt pull a 4600 pound boat...........and a 1400lb trailer with a gas motor. Been there and done that. To put this in perspective: 07 Tundra 4x4 pulling a Glastron GX205 ( 4000lb aprox w/trailer) 8-9 mpg. The hemi does just as poorly on mpg and has less ponies. Gas motors will pull it, like the new 8.1 chevy or 6.2 chevy........but no matter what, t a gas engine will always get poor gas mileage, and it DOES put a strain on the vehicle your pulling it with. I would buy a diesel (my opinion). If this is all you are going to be using it for.......find a good used diesel, be it ford dodge ect. If you dont need a 4x4, a 2wd diesel will be quite affordable. Oil changes are more than gas, between 40 -60 depending on where you go, but you will find it easily handles your boat! Hope this helps. Regards, Steve