Bigcatpt

My drip,drip,drip,....... is now a trickle.

Bigcatpt    408

I think it is finally time to work on my drip packing thingy. I don't even know what it is called. The drip drip drip that keeps the shaft lubricated or cooled or something like that. The last time out I could hear the trickle of water coming in the boat somewhere under the V- drive and Tranny area. My Avy is an 03 so pretty sure its the older style with the wax rope between two nuts (insert jokes here).

So I have felt around down there and really can't tell exactly what I am looking for. I can feel the shaft but not the nuts (insert other jokes here). Seriously though. Anyone have any pics of what I am supposed to do here or a DIY guide? I am hoping to just tighten it down and solve the problem and not have to do a H mod and put in the new PSS seal or whatever it is called.

Other questions I have once I find my dang nuts (more jokes here).. how do I know when it is tight enough? What happens if I get it too tight? Where will I see the water dripping from? Does the boat have to be in the water to test? Does it have to be running to test? Can I test it on a fake a lake?

Please help!

Thanks!!!

1911    4

i have an 03 typhoon, so i would assume its the same as yours. if you feel down the shaft toward the hull, you will feel the much larger brass nuts. there are actually two nuts, one is the adjustment and one is the one that keeps everything tight. You dont have to be in the water to adjust it, but youll have to be in the water to make sure it still drips at the proper rate ( i think like a drip every ten seconds). Im a bigger guy, and could barely fit. if your name is correct, you are probably big as well. you may have to get someone smaller to fit in there. i bought two special wrenches to tighten the nuts. i had a steady stream of water coming in from mine.

here is how i did mine, not saying its correct, just what i did.

wiggle my fat A#$ in the v drive service hole thing under the back seat.

wiggle around until i could actually see and feel the nuts.

loosened the locking nut (i think its the thinner of the two, but dont quote me)

tightened the adjustment nut until the water slowed to the correct drip rate.

tightened the locking nut

test drove the boat a little.

re checked everything once i parked it again.

i had to re adjust it a little to get the correct drip rate.

i can tell you its a very easy job to do, the only difficult part is fitting in the service hole thing under the back seat. i actually got stuck and could not get out. had to call my wife off the beach to come pull me out. funny for her, not for me, as i did it in laughlin when it was over 105 degrees. so i would recommend doing it with some one else there.

im not sure what happens if you do it too tight. you will see the water coming in right by the nuts. i made sure my boat was turned off during the adjustment. no can do on a fake a lake.

hope any of that helps. sorry, no pictures.

DarksideR    1,679

I think it is finally time to work on my drip packing thingy. I don't even know what it is called. The drip drip drip that keeps the shaft lubricated or cooled or something like that. The last time out I could hear the trickle of water coming in the boat somewhere under the V- drive and Tranny area. My Avy is an 03 so pretty sure its the older style with the wax rope between two nuts (insert jokes here).

So I have felt around down there and really can't tell exactly what I am looking for. I can feel the shaft but not the nuts (insert other jokes here). Seriously though. Anyone have any pics of what I am supposed to do here or a DIY guide? I am hoping to just tighten it down and solve the problem and not have to do a H mod and put in the new PSS seal or whatever it is called.

Other questions I have once I find my dang nuts (more jokes here).. how do I know when it is tight enough? What happens if I get it too tight? Where will I see the water dripping from? Does the boat have to be in the water to test? Does it have to be running to test? Can I test it on a fake a lake?

Please help!

Thanks!!!

LMAO!

I'm at a loss for words man.... for once.

Best thread topic... ever.

duramat    462

LMAO!

I'm at a loss for words man.... for once.

Best thread topic... ever.

ROTF!

All this "Drip drip drip.... is now a trickle" coming from the man with a BIG Johnson......correction: BIG POLISHED JOHNSON!! And now hes trying to find his Nuts! Im busting a gut!! :lol: It sounds like one of them commercials

FUNNY

Bigcatpt    408

I guess I could have titled it "Having problems with my shaft and nuts".....

Thanks for your help 1911. You are correct I do not fit in tight places well....

Anyone else done this and have any suggestions???

duramat    462

I guess I could have titled it "Having problems with my shaft and nuts".....

Thanks for your help 1911. You are correct I do not fit in tight places well....

Anyone else done this and have any suggestions???

who's your skinniest friend?..........:spiteful:

:thumbsup:

i guess its a good think you already have kids, im sorry for your "problem".

i got nothing to help, sorry.

Bigcatpt    408

who's your skinniest friend?..........:spiteful:

:thumbsup:

Knuckle and Kris????? LOL

Bigcatpt    408

Back on topic..... this is serious business around here! :help:

So 1911.. What kind of special wrenches did you buy to do this adjustment?

Can anyone confirm that the proper drip rate is like one drip every 10 seconds?

So are these nuts right down at the bottom of the shaft where it goes through the hull or are they up on the shaft a little bit?

Where does the water come from? I am having a hard time visualizing how they work.....

h20king    794

OK big heres the deal 1911 is correct you have a manual shaft seal you loosen the back nut then tighten the large nut until you get about 1 drip every ten seconds then tighten up the smaller nut to secure the adjustment.If you find that once you tighten the packing nut that you are still taking on more water than recommended you have two choices replace the packing rope or replace the shaft seal with a drip less unit.If you decide to just change the packing rope shoot me a PM and I will send you some I have some carbon graphite packing rope that you cant get anywhere.......................H

Here is a pic of what the unit you have now looks like so you can understand a little better

post-777-0-32672100-1308615188_thumb.gif

Bigcatpt    408

OK big heres the deal 1911 is correct you have a manual shaft seal you loosen the back nut then tighten the large nut until you get about 1 drip every ten seconds then tighten up the smaller nut to secure the adjustment.If you find that once you tighten the packing nut that you are still taking on more water than recommended you have two choices replace the packing rope or replace the shaft seal with a drip less unit.If you decide to just change the packing rope shoot me a PM and I will send you some I have some carbon graphite packing rope that you cant get anywhere.......................H

Here is a pic of what the unit you have now looks like so you can understand a little better

Very cool H! That picture is what I needed to see. But I am a little confused on your terminology and how it relates to the picture. You referred to the "back nut" and then "the large nut" and then also the "smaller nut".

So looking at the picture you provided... It looks like there are 3 metal pieces hooked together. From left to right there is a large nut, and then in the middle a smaller nut, and then on the right a piece that goes into the rubber hose. So lets call these parts 1,2, and 3 respectively from left to right. So if I understand correctly I want to loosen part #1 on the far left of the picture which will then allow me to tighten up part #2 which is in the middle of the picture. This will actually be tightening up part #2 onto part number 3 which is connected to the hose? So the packing rope must be between part number 2 and 3? Is this correct???

Thanks!

h20king    794

No....... loosen part 2 tighten part 1 and leave part 3 alone.If you want to replace the packing rope loosen part two back off part 1 so it will slide on the shaft.The packing rope is in part one so you would use a pic to remove the packing then replace with new then thread back on and set the drip rate which I just double checked with my brother to be one drip every 1 to three seconds so disregard the rate stated above...................H

Edited by h20king

Bigcatpt    408

No....... loosen part 2 tighten part 1 and leave part 3 alone.If you want to replace the packing rope loosen part two back off part 1 so it will slide on the shaft.The packing rope is in part one so you would use a pic to remove the packing then replace with new then thread back on and set the drip rate which I just double checked with my brother to be one drip every 1 to three seconds so disregard the rate stated above...................H

H you are the man! Thanks!

Now to see if I can even squeeze in that hole and get to these parts!

Any recommendation on what tools to use. Large crescent wrenches?

h20king    794

H you are the man! Thanks!

Any recommendation on what tools to use. Large crescent wrenches?

Its a tight squeeze but if you put your feet and legs under the foreword seat and the large part of your body in the locker like an enzo sack LOL.... :harhar::harhar: its not that bad.As for wrenches we just have some of these http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_431694_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=431694.......................H

DarksideR    1,679

Any recommendation on what tools to use.

You have no idea how hard I'm biting my lip right now. :thumbsup:

1911    4

big,

those wrenches that h showed are the same ones i have. u cant use a large adjustable wrench because the handle is too long, at least thats what i found.

duramat    462

You have no idea how hard I'm biting my lip right now. :thumbsup:

X2! LMAO!

Bigcatpt    408

X2! LMAO!

Ya you Dura/Dark siders are always stirring the pot. Pretty sure a stirring spoon is not the tool I need for this job! LMAO!!!!

DarksideR    1,679

To be fair, you are guiding us into it!

Bigcatpt    408

To be fair, you are guiding us into it!

WHAT???? How dare you accuse me of such things... :innocent:

:rofl: