Sign in to follow this  
towboat 222

lop sided surfers

towboat 222    1

Looking on the tread of WW everyone saying the goffey side on a Enzo is crap. I havent had a complaint on mine. Everyone wants to surf behind a my 240 as well as board. Whats up few bad weighted boats are people just in a bad mood because summer is over. Drew I dont know what you did to Guido over there but keep doing it( I dont think he likes you)

tgaugh    2

I don't think Guido is Guido - I think most have a pretty good idea who he is.

Besides on Walker World there you have to be with a certain clique to spam everyone, otherwise it's not within the terms.

For the sake of the discussion it does take us 3k goofy vs 1.5k reg, significantly more.

towboat 222    1

I know it takes more wait but the wave is good then. Most other boats I ride in have that much weight for both sides to be good.

tgaugh    2

It's good for sure, just takes more. I wouldn't fret the hating there, a lot of that is just supporting the brands that give them free pulls and bashing the ones that don't. It's always the same groups doing it too. We don't have any issues with our goofy side on the 240.

duffymahoney    10

What do you run for weight on the goofy side? I have been behind a couple of enzo's and both had blades and we could never clean the goofy wake. To me pulling the blade off isn't an option. Sometimes we could get the first 3 or so feet to be clean, but never the whole wave. Both boats we have had lots of weight and spent hours playing around with dist with no avail. It would be great to hear what people have done with success and please post some pictures.

Duffy

tgaugh    2

Enzo sac full, tab @ 100%, 550lb behind driver on enzo sac, 550lb in bow, bow sac full, center full. As many people as possible.

Surfdad    0
Besides on Walker World

That's Mr. Walker World, to you, fat boy! :) May I get a status of baldING, here too?

WakeDoc    471

Enough Said!

Bigshow    0

OK, so you've seen my Walker World posts, Hi Jeff. 3k doesn't work for me in a 230, the goofy wake is awful. We ran a 750 and a 400, plus about 150 in weights in the back locker. Filled midship tank - maybe 200 pounds. Then a 750 on the starboard bench. also 750 in the front foot well. That's 3,000 plus a driver and 430 pounds of people weight in the bow.

Maybe the 750 in the bow should have been placed on the starboard side rather than front and center in the foot well.

Hiking out on the starboard side helped a little. We only did that before we put the third 7450 in the foot well. We didn’t hike out when we had the full 3,000 load.

My boat doesn't have a Bennett trim tab. I have a manually adjustable cavitation plate. In the last trip of the season we set the manual plate all the way up. Not a good goofy wake at all.

This year I attached two types of wedges to the cavitation plate. One wedge was unbalalced low on the starboard side, high on the port side. That attachment made an impressive fountain behind the boat. Not good.

The second wedge was balanced and intended to push the nose of the boat down. However, I also cut a slice out of the wedge on a diagonal. The intent of the diagonal cut was to add some dog track to the boat. I think that dog tracking will clean the face of the goofy wake. That didn’t work either but it wasn’t as bad as the first wedge.

Surf Right is a nice idea but there’s no way a reasonable person is going to buy one boat for one wake and another for the other wake. I want one boat that does both well and without a huge fuss. I’d say that 3,000 pounds is a huge fuss, specially if it doesn’t work.

I recently ran a Side Swipe noise reduction experiment. Another dud. Anyway, what I did was bolt on a PVC elbow on to the starboard Side Swipe outlet. We ran without ballast and we ran from 10 to 20 mph. The elbow was under water and causing drag. The wake on the port side was clean and crisp and the wake on the starboard side was a mess. If I would have bolted the elbow on the port side I expect that the starboard side would have been crisp and the port side would have been foamy. So I expect that adding drag to one side causes the boat to dog track.

There are a few ways to take the elbow drag experiment forward. They include 1) add a forward fin like Tru-Track or my Lightning experiment, 2) adding left and right trim tabs, 3) add a CC like wake gate thingy but one on each side not down the center, 4) add CC like wake gates to the lower stern port and starboard sides, 5) add trim tabs but mount them on the lower stern port and starboard sides. Trim tabs are the lowest cost and most stright forward of the bunch.

You guys know that the surfing thing isn’t a casual hobby for me. This is an out of control hobby. I’ve put in a fair amount of effort on the goofy side with no results.

I’m winterizing tomorrow so I’m done for the season.

Packrat    13

What ever happpened to the Fresh Air Exhaust People putting together some kind of alternative to the switchblade?

Have there been any actual trials with the system or did it not pan out?

I remember they were working on some kind of regular and goofy side trim tab system.

Bigshow    0

I'm not aware that Larry is working on FAE for SS equipped boats. Last I heard he was working on something for CC and Malibu with the Wedge.

Larry has a "Flow Rider" patent. That concept is a thrust diverter and requires a hull modification. That's a new boat hull concept.

Edited by Bigshow

Surfdad    0

Ken? That number you keep tossing out, is that the number of times you've successfully wakesurfed? 8? Congratulations! You should be proud, that is quite the accomplishment, for someone in your physical shape, without inducing a stroke. :)

Ed, the trim tab concept. The folks at Wakesurf magazine used...shoot I want to say 5 TT's on an old Calabria. I never liked the wake, but I do remember talking with them at a surf contest in San Jose many moons ago and they indicated that it helped "shape" the wake more than anything else.

The Sanger that we are using tomorrow has three TT's. One in the middle and two gigantic ones on each side. I have only seen pictures, but the rumor is that the effect is pretty dramatic. So much so that the factory placed some type of limiting or speed control device on the activation of the tabs. I'll try and get pictures, but post them somewhere.

WakeDoc    471
Ken? That number you keep tossing out, is that the number of times you've successfully wakesurfed? 8? Congratulations! You should be proud, that is quite the accomplishment, for someone in your physical shape, without inducing a stroke. :)

Did you feel something was directed at you Jeff? I did not see your name mentioned in my post...hmmmm?

towboat 222    1

All I was doing was trying to joke a little this is getting serious. Im going to have to get behind someone elses boat I dont have any complaints about mine. I must just suck so bad at surfing that I think Im good

Oldwakedude    0

Probably the best option for a boat that can develop a good surf wake on both sides is one with a reversible pitch prop and associated trans linkage setup. Do this with an Enzo with Enzo sacks on both sides and wala, the perfect surf boat. Ok, Ok, it'll be a bit expensive, but cheaper than buying two boats (one LH one RH). Wonder if you could just design an easy change trans linkage that could be reversed, then you just have to change props (LH to RH) when you want to switch rides. Cheaper, but not as flexible. :)

Edited by Oldwakedude

towboat 222    1

You could put a pod system like IPS runs forward or reverse. All you would have to do is change 2 wires

Bigshow    0

Reversible prop and trany, oh my! I disagree it would be cheaper to buy two boats.

How about two engines with counter rotating props? How about a duo prop for inboards? Both of those options are not realistic.

I think the solution is a lot more simple than that. I'd like to try a pair of trim tabs.

WakeDoc    471
I think the solution is a lot more simple than that. I'd like to try a pair of trim tabs.

I agree with you Ed, if it works, I will be the second one to make the mod.

How soon can you get it prototyped?

Bigshow    0

I winterized the Mighty Enzo. All of the experiments that I've made have been completely reversible. I hate making a permanent change that might not work. However, the Wake Surf Mag Calabria and the new Sangers have wake plates. We’ll see what spring brings.

How did the T-shirt fit?

Bigshow    0

Ken,

Yesterday my daughter, a HS Junior, was flipping through the pictures on my wife’s camera. She saw the twins and was really impressed. She thought the design was wild. You probably never heard anything like that before so I thought I’d pass that along.