CeeDee

Ballast puppy wiring

CeeDee    16

Can anyone tell me how you wire up a ballast puppy. I know they are reversable but do they have two separate power wires and one ground ? Can you wire one into the stock switch ? or do you you have to have separate switches for fill and drain ?

duffymahoney    10

Can anyone tell me how you wire up a ballast puppy. I know they are reversable but do they have two separate power wires and one ground ? Can you wire one into the stock switch ? or do you you have to have separate switches for fill and drain ?

Here it shows you. Only one set of wires goes to the pump, the switch crosses them when on empty.

post-350-0-21613800-1306952497_thumb.jpg

CeeDee    16

So basicaly you are reversing the polarity of the pump to empty. The pump has only two wires. That would mean that it can't be wired to the factory switch ?

duffymahoney    10

So basicaly you are reversing the polarity of the pump to empty. The pump has only two wires. That would mean that it can't be wired to the factory switch ?

What does the factory switch look like? I have extra ballast switches I would sell if someone needed them.

CeeDee    16

What does the factory switch look like? I have extra ballast switches I would sell if someone needed them.

I actually havn't looked at the back of it yet. I just assumed because the factory set up uses two pumps that the switch is not going to work. I was hoping to add the ballast puppy and still use the factory ( aerator ) empty pump as well.

As far as I know, you can't reverse the ballast puppy using the stock switches. You need a double pole/double throw type of switch which will have 7 pins. The stock ones only have 5 pins.

Here's a link where I got mine. There may be cheaper places that have them though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARLING-CONTURA-ROCKER-SWITCH-ON-OFF-ON-BLACK-12981-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2554547b07QQitemZ160328612615QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Also, here's a link to my blog that talks about how they were wired. Not sure if it would help at all in what you're trying to accomplish.

http://customfalconballast.blogspot.com/2011/03/electrical.html

Bigcatpt    408

The factory switches have 5 tabs on them and are designed to run a ballast puppy to fill and an aerator pump to empty.

They are not designed to run a reversible pump to fill and empty. That requires a 7 tab switch.

The link that duffy posted is the correct way to wire them. If you hook it up like that and the pumps run the wrong way (fill when they are supposed to empty and visa versa) then just reverse the pump wires on 3 & 6 and their corresponding jumpers to 1 & 4 and that will reverse the impeller direction.

duffymahoney    10

I have two carling contura switches with lights and labeled with instructions for wiring. I will sell both new and never used and shipped for $25 bucks.

peytont    0

Duffy if you still have the switches I would like them. Paypal okay?

I had no idea you could switch the stock ballast pump to make it reversible that is great news. I love this website.

My question for the wiring gurus now is: when you hit "empty" on the switch can you make the pump reverse AND turn on the stock aerator empty pump?

duffymahoney    10

Yeah paypal is fine. Send me money and emails to duffymahoney@hotmail.com

Yeah centurion does this with their stock wiring.

peytont    0

Yeah paypal is fine. Send me money and emails to duffymahoney@hotmail.com

Yeah centurion does this with their stock wiring.

Sorry I don't think I asked the question the correct way.

With the new 7 prong switch installed can you also use the same switch to run the aerator pump to empty the ballast also? Stated another way: using the new 7 prong switch will enable me to reverse the ballast puppy and turn on the aerator pump? its confusing, stated one more time: I install the new 7 prong switch, I flick the switch to empty, can I wire said switch to reverse the ballast puppy and turn on the aerator pump connected to a fat sac at the same time?

Edited by peytont

Troy    234

If you use fat sacs I think you can wire it to make it work but if you have hard tanks I will say no. But I am not for sure. Hard tanks the Fill is high on the tank.

Bigcatpt    408

Duffy are your extra ballast switches 5 prong or 7 prong? This guy needs 7 prong...

DarksideR    1,679

Dang, the switch I got from Sporty is only 4 prong. 3 on each side, with 2 on the one side pushed down or in... What is this switch used for? I was hoping to use 1 switch to control 2 Tsunami drain pumps... what switch would I need for that? :help:

duffymahoney    10

The ones I have are 7 prong.

DarksideR    1,679

What is the stock switch that controls the puppy and the mayfair/johnson?

peytont    0

Yes, I need a 7 prong switch.

My stock 250lb port side hard tank has been replaced with a 1100lb fat sac. Right now I only fill with the stock ballast puppy and empty with the stock aerator. With the new switch and a couple check valves I could use BOTH the stock aerator and "newly wired" reversible ballast puppy to empty the 1100lb fat sac, I think? My drain times would be much faster.

To help with the fill times I'm ditching the stock sprinkler valves for a manifold with manual gate valves and eventually at some point adding another reversible pump.

Edited by peytont

Bigcatpt    408

What is the stock switch that controls the puppy and the mayfair/johnson?

The stock switch is a 5 prong switch that runs through a relay to control the ballast puppy, the mayfair aerator, and a sprinker valve.

duramat    462

The Heros to the rescue!

Good knowledge here

DarksideR    1,679

Dang it, now there's a relay too? :wallbash: Ok, what do I need to be able to use one switch, up for port Tsunami, down for starboard tsunami. Or would it be easier to use 2 switches?