h20king

Pss shaft seal install

h20king    794

I believe this to be a different problem if you have transmission fluid in the bilge as the shaft seal only keeps water out of the boat and uses water for lubrication.Check all hose fittings and try to track down the source of the leek.My best guess though is when you hit the sand bar the shaft came to a complete stop and damaged the rear seal on the transmission ............H

Whats the stern tube diameter?

I guess I figured it out myself by ordering the part you had listed - it's 1-3/4"

I did this tonight, by myself - took about three hours. I removed the v-drive as it was way easier to work underneath, than with it in the way. - The local shop quoted me 12 - crazy.

The worst of it was there was threadlock on the shaft/coupling. With a puller it wouldn't budge till I gave it some heat, then she popped. after that, smooth sailing!

h20king    794

I guess I figured it out myself by ordering the part you had listed - it's 1-3/4"

I did this tonight, by myself - took about three hours. I removed the v-drive as it was way easier to work underneath, than with it in the way. - The local shop quoted me 12 - crazy.

The worst of it was there was threadlock on the shaft/coupling. With a puller it wouldn't budge till I gave it some heat, then she popped. after that, smooth sailing!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spud    7

H you out did yourself once again, thanks buddy this will be a job for myself !!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Spud    7

I

The link has 1-1/8" listed with no option for 1-3/4", just confirming before I order.

Edited by Spud

Spud    7

K, the 1-3/4" threw me off thanks.

Ramzety    1

Edited by Ramzety

Spud    7

K, the 1-3/4" threw me off thanks.

Wiggles    2

If this is a mod you are not comfortable doing yourself do not allow any shop to tell you the V drive or the engine has to be removed to install the seal because It DOES NOT.The complete Job which is parts and labor should not cost more than $600 on the high side.Packrat can attest to this he brought his boat to my brothers shop for this mod and was able to stay and watch the job be done it only took a couple hours and cost him just a little over $500 and was done with the drive and engine still in the boat.......................H

H,

I'm going to attempt this one this weekend, I was going to try it without removing the V-drive but there appears to be some minor weeping around it so figured may as well take it out should make the job a little easier, when you pull the V-drive what seals would I need for the re-install... any tricks you could recommend for the re-install as well.... do I need to mark any parts so they go back together for alignment???....

Wiggles

Edited by Wiggles

h20king    794

Its not a bad idea to mark the v drive and shaft couplings but not necessary.The v drive is super easy to remove and you will only need two gaskets a pan gasket to reseal the pan and an intermediate gasket to connect the drive to the trany but if you are careful when you remove the v drive you can reuse the intermediate gasket.Refer to this thread and it will clear things up for you..............................................H

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/4350-walter-v-drive-removal-and-reseal/

boatman    0

Hey H, just noticed my seal blew and now I have water pouring in when under load. I would like to change the seal myself. This may be a stupid question but why do you need to remove the prop. Is it just for clearance issues because it looks like you do everything from the inside.

Spud    7

Just ordered my Seal, this oughta be fun...

truekaotik    458
Just ordered my Seal, this oughta be fun...

GOOD DEAL!!! You first, then I will call you for help!! Haha :-)

Spud    7

For sure bro!

Shaft size is 1-1/8" , but Stern Tube diameter came up when I purchased mine 1 month ago. I work right by PYI and purchased directly from them. I was unsure of the size needed when I purchased, but we determined that the that the part for for the 1-1/2-5/8" and the 1-3/4-78" is the same. They just rubber cement a reducer in to reduce the shaft tube size. I have not installed mine yet as I am waiting for my right surf v-drive, but I know that having the smaller one will work either way.

PSS_ShaftSeal.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

Mike, you're getting the right surf drive??? I'll be waiting for the invite to come down to Seattle to help you break it in!!

:)

Spud    7

I'll be in Seatle in 2 weeks.

duramat    462

Mike you converting? :thumbsup: