V-Drive

'98 Elite V Engine Hatch - It's Gotta Go...

V-Drive    0

Ok guys - I don’t really deserve your help but I am going to ask anyway... Seems I haven't done much posting - life has gotten the better of me, so I lurk.

Now I need some help from the crew - I have a '98 Elite V, and I absolutely hate the damn engine hatch. I like the giant sun deck, but every time someone wants a beverage everyone lying on the deck has to get off while I SLOWLY open the hatch, folks get their beer, coke or whatever, then I SLOWLY close the hatch, everyone climbs back on, then the process repeats. All day.

Also I shudder to think what would happen if I ever had an engine fire - the first thing to go is the electric actuator wires. The motor stops, the hatch doesn’t open, I can't put the fire out - boom, sunk or destroyed boat.

OK the solution - I need upholstery anyway. So I would like to get rid of the one door engine/storage hatch and replace it with a later model 3 door hatch. I am pretty handy, I modified my last boat this way and I loved it. No electrical that can fail - and three doors, to me it’s a no brainer.

The help needed - I need a Crew member to take a bunch of digital photos for me of their late model setup. Preferably with a tape measure as well. I'd like to know the material Centurion used for the doors(deck) themselves - plywood, PVC, cutting boards? Locations of hinges, struts locks and mounts. Maybe someone could do this one day while they are playing on the boat. I figure I can make the setup - Heck - I'll even do a DYI write-up for posterity - install the mess, get the boat upholstered and be a very happy camper by summer. Maybe I just wont do it after I see how much work it might be - who knows. What ya say?

Here are some photos of my current (stock) setup...

Can someone lend a fella a hand?

thanx - Vdrive.

post-480-0-33328000-1303264557_thumb.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

You should be able to just measure to your dividers, they meet there. I can't get you any pics right now, and can't help with the material, although if you're in need of upholstery anyways... don't go stock, go better. Will measure later for you too if nobody else has chimed in.

Foiler    1

At least the picture you posted includes a woman in a bikini holding a Coors light. I would say that makes you worthy but you all don't drink enough beer, that set up would never work out with my friends. I actually have the 3 piece hatch but never keep coolers back there, to much of a hassle in my opinion and I can't imagine having an electric hatch.

You can find a couple pictures here in my ballast install:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/4288-2007-typhoon-ballast-install/

My boat has some aluminum angle that is welded to two flat pieces that bolt to the forward and aft area of the hull opening. Once you make some of those, then you would just put them in the area that you need considering how big you want each hatch. This supports the 3 hatches. I would make the engine hatch as narrow as you can and make the side ones as big as you can that way you can store a large cooler or item if you need to.

You can also see the grey divider walls, these just set in aluminum channel at the bottom and up against the angle at the top and are held in place by little black keepers simular to what holds the front walk way window shut. The material used on my boat for the hatches is the same as the divider walls. It is some sort of plastic 1/2" thick. Just hinge the engine hatch in the back and the side hinges on the side. I would install some sort of latch on the center one because it opens into the wind and this would get ugly if it came open going down the highway but the side opening, side hatches don't need anything. I actually removed the side hatch latch mechanism on my boat.

mouthster    0
post-492-0-05642800-1303699733_thumb.jpgWhat type of hatch do the side lockers have? this is where i am at with my conversion. I left the rear hinged with the original location and hardware. Edited by mouthster

Wiggles    2

looks good nice work

DrPorter    0

Finished my conversion I just need to finish up the upholstery and add gas shocks

Why didnt you just buy a new boat. That is some thick padding you put on the new sundeck!

Wiggles    2

I just noticed you don't have any latches, how are you going to keep them from flipping open possibly in the wind??

mouthster    0

I made a pin that goes through the locker dividers and into the middle cover locking it down. And on the side covers the gas lifts provide enough resistance that they wont come open unexpectedly. The sun deck is a little over padded and that is because the upholstery shop recommend 2 inch foam. If I did it over again I would use 1 inch high density foam. I would love a new boat but old boat paid off. New sun deck $300 the boat I want $50,000.

Edited by mouthster

Bojik    0

Small hijack.....what did you mean by "don't go stock, go better" Darksider?

DarksideR    1,679

Small hijack.....what did you mean by "don't go stock, go better" Darksider?

I was just saying, if you're gonna replace something, why not improve it? There's nothing wrong with the vinyl in Centurion boats, but there are more durable, thicker, longer lasting vinyls out there.

rctchw    0

I made a pin that goes through the locker dividers and into the middle cover locking it down. And on the side covers the gas lifts provide enough resistance that they wont come open unexpectedly. The sun deck is a little over padded and that is because the upholstery shop recommend 2 inch foam. If I did it over again I would use 1 inch high density foam. I would love a new boat but old boat paid off. New sun deck $300 the boat I want $50,000.

Looks great! Considering doing the same thing to mine. I would be very interested to see how you install the gas springs. Are you planning on putting anything on the center section?

Also - What material are you using on the underside of the plywood?

mouthster    0

Looks great! Considering doing the same thing to mine. I would be very interested to see how you install the gas springs. Are you planning on putting anything on the center section?

Also - What material are you using on the underside of the plywood?

I just coated the underside of the plywood in water resistant flat black paint. I will take a pick and post it with the gas lifts but my boat is being stored next to the lake now so it will be 2 weeks before I get the chance. For the center section I just made a pole that holds it open and that is because gas lifts are so expensive and i do not plan on opening the center section very often.

Rosco    0

Look awesome. Was looking for exact conversion. I have the exact boat you do, color and all. What type of wood did you use? Thought about just cutting the fiber glass the just hinging the sides. The reupholstere the pieces. Any input?