Sign in to follow this  
Packrat

New Stereo Deck Questions

Packrat    13

I am still contemplating a new deck to replace the existing Sony commander unit. A question for DavidEM though. I keep looking at either the Alpine 118 or the Kenwood 700U. I thought that the Alpine was a 4volt system but their website says otherwise and says it's 2volt pre outs. I thought that 4volt is better for sound or does it matter as to the quality of the 4 volt. Alpine does have some sort of add on sound field adapter that supposedly brings the pre outs up to 4volts on the Alpine units but it doesn't list the 118 marine unit. Since you have both the Alpine and Kenwood which will give the best soundfield separation at or around the boat. I have the Skylon Amphitheater quad tower speakers and skylon interior speakers now. Hey WakeDoc, what kind of receiver did you have in the Twins?

Thanks for your thoughts.

h20king    794

Packrat I don't think you will notice a difference in pre out volts since you have a WS 420 EQ which boosts pre out volts to five volts so I would just go with whatever deck you like the most they are both nice decks..............H

Packrat    13

Thanks h20King for the youtube link. You definitely are internet savvy. Hope we can get together when I bring the boat down to have the sub and radio installed. I agree the Alpine is a great looking unit. I just wish I didn't have to hide it in the glove box! I would love to have it on the dash but I don't think there is room unless you can come up with another idea. I did see some of the installations on DavidEM's site where they put the radio sunk just behind the shift lever.

h20king    794

Any pics of you dash and current set up??.............H

DavidEM    1

Packrat,

I could get along with either the Kenwood or Alpine as they're both excellent units. I favor the Alpine's ipod functionality and would still like a CD player option. As for the preouts the extra voltage is a nice benefit but rendered a mute point if you are adding an EQ or line drivers. In any case the Alpine has a strong preout section. There are many source units that claim 2 volts and yet sound anemic. The Alpine will meet or beat their spec and is respectable even at 2 volts.

David E.M.

islander033    2

... I love the I pod controls and the remotes plus I think the alpine is just ascetically more pleasing..................H...

I agree.

P8160003.jpg

Packrat    13

islander033, is that a wired or wireless remote you have there? I was wondering if the wired one worked better or if the wireless works just the same. Great install!

DavidEM, is there any other decks I should look at? Thanks.

islander033    2

islander033, is that a wired or wireless remote you have there? I was wondering if the wired one worked better or if the wireless works just the same. Great install!

DavidEM, is there any other decks I should look at? Thanks.

This unit is wireless to the deck, but still needs power/ground/ect ran to it.

DavidEM    1

Packrat,

Other units? Well, we use Sony, Kenwood (& Exelon), Clarion and Alpine source units without reservation. Still doesn't change my personal preference for Alpine.

David E.M.

Packrat    13

Does the Alpine remote only come in the wireless configuration now?