bhrickard    2

Last summer I started looking for a boat in my budget, I wanted a ski boat but was only looking to spend 7-10k, so that was pretty much out of the question because the only thing that was a must was a open bow. Late in the summer I got a deal on a 1995 Centurion Falcon w/ only 200hrs, solid floors, 2nd owner, Down side; guys lab ate most of front seats, and along with staining their boat house they also happened to stain most of the boat, it is covered with splatter marks, and the gel coat was faded like grandma's hair, the swim platform has never seen teak oil, and the trailer was in terrible shape. I've priced a new paint job VS. a wrap and saw that it was going to cost the same out of pocket, so I went with paint and graphics as its a little more durable. I sanded the teak swim platform with 80grit, then worked my way to 240 and soaked it with 2 quarts of teak oil over a week's time. I've re-fiberglassed over the floors, just because I needed to replace the carpet and it added peace of mind. I'll post a few pics. I would greatly appreciate any tips, or advice, as this is my first rodeo..

SideView.jpg

RearView.jpg

BowSeats.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

FrontView.jpg

Edited by bhrickard

WakeDoc    471

Congrats on the boat and Welcome to the Crew.

bhrickard    2

I'm having trouble finding someone to print my graphics out, my wife's a photographer so I had her design the graphics in Photoshop and would like to have something very similar. I'd like to find someone who has done boats quality graphics before, without paying an arm and leg. I can't upload photos from my phone, so I will have wait until I get home. If you guys have any recommendations please let me know.

Troy    234

Sounds like that will be a sweet boat when you get it finished. Looking forward to seeing the pics along the way in the build up process.

bhrickard    2

Here's the pic of the graphics I'm looking to have made, I think I'll end up going with the first one, the second looks too much like the 2007 Tornado's.

theboat.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

bhrickard    2

Sorry for the abandoned thread I've had a couple additions to the family and the boat has taken the back burner for past couple weeks. But I'm now the proud father of two little girls and a new baby boy!I guess I will start back on the boat as soon as things calm down on the home front a little. Promise to post pics asap.DSC_7967.jpg

untitled.jpg

and the fact that I traded my waverunner off for a Aprilia SXV supermoto hasn't helped production much either, lol.

Edited by bhrickard

bhrickard    2

I finally found a little time to work on the boat this weekend, I got the floor prepped for carpet also got my bumprail on, dash installed with some of the gauges, and picked up my interior from the shop. I'm excited too get this project under my belt, but trying not to get in a hurry and cut corners.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

bhrickard    2

I finally got around to installing my new interior and carpet all the gauges are back in also, I still lack graphics, tower and LED lights. Here are a few of the pictures I took when I finished installing the interior. I'm ready to have this thing in the water!! I plan to de-winterize it this week, and change the oil again and trans fluid, all that good stuff.

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

Kevin Baugh    78

very cool and unique!!! nice job!! :thumbsup:

Although cool might not be the right word ;)

Troy. R    198

Looks good!

Nice job!

desotodave    0

Wow, sounds like you are putting a ton of work into this boat, and it will look great.

When looking at your Gel Coat, I was wondering why you didn't have someone just buff it out? I have seen boats in MUCH worse shape brought to look like new! If you had found a good detailer they could have done it for 3-400 bucks. The Gelcoat on a boat is very thick, and can be wet sanded and polished many many times to remove just the issues you had. Maybe this has been done and you were down to the fiberglass weave, if so sorry as you would have to re-gelcoat the boat.

Another question did you actually put paint on the boat, or did you re Gelcoat the boat?

I love the look of your upholstery, but BLACK? On a hot sunny day that is going to get real hot out in the sun.

Troy    234

looking killer! can't wait to see the finished product on the lake pics.

bhrickard    2

Wow, sounds like you are putting a ton of work into this boat, and it will look great.

When looking at your Gel Coat, I was wondering why you didn't have someone just buff it out? I have seen boats in MUCH worse shape brought to look like new! If you had found a good detailer they could have done it for 3-400 bucks. The Gelcoat on a boat is very thick, and can be wet sanded and polished many many times to remove just the issues you had. Maybe this has been done and you were down to the fiberglass weave, if so sorry as you would have to re-gelcoat the boat.

Another question did you actually put paint on the boat, or did you re Gelcoat the boat?

I love the look of your upholstery, but BLACK? On a hot sunny day that is going to get real hot out in the sun.

Desoto, the reason for not just sanding and buffing is the shop that I'd taken the boat to tried to sand the stain from the boathouse out of the gelcoat but it had apparently absorbed the stain, they sanded as deep as they felt comfortable and called me to come check it out before they went futher because the stain was still evident. Now wither they could have went deeper with the sanding I'm not sure, as I've mentioned before this is my first rodeo and I went with the professional's opinion, now was it an honest opinion?? They seem to be honest people, but from a $400 sand and buff to a $2500 paint job they could put on a good front, but they do not have a reputation for doing that, and they do a lot of boats however they're mostly big boats. I told them I wanted to keep the boat and wanted an opinion on which would be the best for the long haul and they assured me that going with the two part exopy style paint would be more than durable enough to last for years with out issues, where the gel coat would be more hassle. As for the interior, I got a feeling it will get a little more warm that I'd thought it would be while I was in the upholstery shop picking it out, I liked the look of the charcoal and I didn't have my interior with me to compare the difference of my original gray to the charcoal, and he had some of the charcoal left from a big job he'd just finished, so it was also going to save me some cash also.

h20king    794

Looks good but more like a face lift rather than a restoration.Couple things the centurion decal looks funny that far foreword I would center it or just not put it on at all.As for the paint many have tried but it never lasts hope you have better luck. Dave is right the boat would have buffed out.I did a restore on an 84 that looked worse than yours and after days of wet sanding and buffing the color came back.The carpet looks nice and it looks like you went with the 40 OZ good choice.The seats will get hot but most people put towels on their seats so it should not be an issue.Now for a couple ideas update the steering wheel and get some simulated carbon fiber to cover the switch panels and while you are at it update the rest of the gages.Overall I think it is starting to come together.Here are a couple pics of the last restore/upgrade I did...............H

post-777-0-04418200-1304951159_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-57898900-1304951342_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-57631100-1304951386_thumb.jpg

Edited by h20king

WakeDoc    471

Don't worry about the color of the interior, we've had three boats with dark interiors, gray panels (no white, gets dirty to easy) and it is no worse than white on a hot day. If you hit the vinyl after it has been in 90 plus degree sun for a couple of hours they are both going to burn. In a boat I will take look over some minor function any day of the week. Get a couple of these from HomeDepot for around $8.00 put some ice and water in them and hit the vinyl before you hit it. Also work good as cheap air conditioning.

7d214c70-f5d4-4b5d-823a-a18dc3972eea_300.jpg

vdriven    0

Work so far is looking fantastic! I'm sure it'll be well worth it one it hits the water. I bought a 1991 Falcon late last season which had some of the same issues your boat has including faded gel coat, negleted teak. My Platforn has been sanded and oiled and hopefully I can revive the gelcoat with some cutting compound and some buffing rather than paint. Keep updating, interior looks great btw...

desotodave    0

Work so far is looking fantastic! I'm sure it'll be well worth it one it hits the water. I bought a 1991 Falcon late last season which had some of the same issues your boat has including faded gel coat, negleted teak. My Platforn has been sanded and oiled and hopefully I can revive the gelcoat with some cutting compound and some buffing rather than paint. Keep updating, interior looks great btw...

K

If itnis real bad you may have to go the wet sandpaper route. You can keep the surface more smooth and even as compared to a cutting compound and a buffer.

Kevin Baugh    78

Love grey interiors but will never have black again....OUCH

kriskussee    9

I would give it a go with a buffer before I went with the repaint. I did what this guy said to do (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html) and am extremly happy with the results.

post-1062-0-73302000-1304978669_thumb.jpg

Edited by kriskussee