VaBeachBum    0

I want to be able to add some lime green LEDs to my interior to brighten things up! Has anyone done this or recommend a site to get some inexpensive LEDs?

Also, looking to do all of the work myself, so any tips are appreciated....like placement of lights and wiring.

Thanks!

dougd    0

I have done several LED jobs on Centurions. I got all of my lights here:

www.owllighting.com

The clusters and the step lights are what I generally use.

Placement is personal preference...I usually replace all of the existing interior lights and then light up underneath the steering wheel, the back vents, and back compartments.

They are easy to wire because you can just daisy chain them...they draw very little power. I usually just tap into the existing courtesy light wiring too.

let me know if you have any other specific questions

peace

dougd

Joe B    17

Summer project for me. Thanks for the link

WakeVB    0

VBB, that lime green would be looking hot on the mighty Avy. :drinks: Lets get busy on yours so we can do mine next!

VaBeachBum    0
VBB, that lime green would be looking hot on the mighty Avy. :drinks: Lets get busy on yours so we can do mine next!

You serious....you're willing to help? :p

Sweeeet.

1ftWonder    0

Take some pictures of the install, I would be intrested in doing something like this in the future.

VaBeachBum    0

I will make sure to! I have this great new camera, and nothing to take pictures of. I'm sure I'll photo-document the whole process!!

WakeVB    0

Yeah man....this isn't HOUSE work. This is BOAT work. I am in!

1ftWonder    0
I will make sure to! I have this great new camera, and nothing to take pictures of. I'm sure I'll photo-document the whole process!!

Sweet...look forward to seeing the install.

dougd    0

Here are some pics of an LED job I did on an Avalanche in blue.

post-24-1204918538_thumb.jpg

post-24-1204918554_thumb.jpg

post-24-1204918569_thumb.jpg

post-24-1204918590_thumb.jpg

Earl    0

That blue looks great! How many clusters and step lights did you use for that install?

dougd    0

Lets see...I probably used 8 clusters and 3 or 4 steps... I did that in 2006 so i dont remember exactly...

for the outside vents I used 1 cluster on each side and lined the inside of the vent with silver metallic tape...

I replaced the courtesy lights with clusters and the white LED that were already there with blue clusters. I put a step light under the steering wheel and aimed it at the sub....I put a step light aimed at the amp too. I put a 2 clusters up from in the cut outs as well. I used a step light in each rear compartment and on in the engine compartment aimed at the motor.

It turned out pretty sweet. I wish I had pics of a lime green light job I did on an avy too...it was equally as sweet.

cant wait to see your pics when your done!

peace

dougd

WakeVB    0

DougD,

Can you explain the process of adding those clusters in place of the cluster lights? That seems like a first step for me with no real wiring involved. does it come out looking pretty clean? I cant believe how bright those lights are....look killer!!!!

CrewAdmin    192
Here are some pics of an LED job I did on an Avalanche in blue.

I love the blue!

It rocks! :good:

dougd    0
DougD,

Can you explain the process of adding those clusters in place of the cluster lights? That seems like a first step for me with no real wiring involved. does it come out looking pretty clean? I cant believe how bright those lights are....look killer!!!!

Sure...its cake.

There is already a LED above the cup holders on each side...they will come out by taking a small screw driver and unsrewing the 2 tiney screws...cut the wires and attach the wires that come out of the new colored cluster...then screw the new cluster back in.

On the courtesy lights just remove the 2 screws holding the light cover on...the whole piece will come out...pop the lense off, cut the wires (if there is a connector behind it just disconnect it and cut the wires where you want)...then take the bulb out and push out the piece that the bulb attached too out of the housing (it sounds complicated but when you get it apart you will know what I am talking about). Then it gets a little tricky---use a dremel or a grinder to grid the sides of the LED cluster to it will fit in that housing...I usually grind it just past the holes where the screws go on each side. Then set it in the housing and hook the wires up....put the cover back on and screw it back in. ( you may want to use a dab of silicone inside the housing to set the LED....i never do but some people have).

wow, that sounds like alot of work but once you do one it gets easier :good:

good luck!

WakeVB    0

Man thats a great little tutorial, but it all makes sense. I guess one of my main questions was if you could use the existing "fixtures" of the courtesy lights....sounds likd you can.

On it.

dougd    0

Also, since the wires are so small I usually solder them and heat shrink of tape them.

dougd    0
Man thats a great little tutorial, but it all makes sense. I guess one of my main questions was if you could use the existing "fixtures" of the courtesy lights....sounds likd you can.

On it.

yes...use the existing fixtures. :good:

Angry Mike    0

Doug, that looks great.. Seems simple enough to just replace the existing ones.. I'll probably take a shot as well.. Just wont be able to until May...

Hey Wake and Bum, will you post your install jobs as well? Would love to see it and hear about it as well!