Totalperformance

Winterized my black scorpion 5.7

This is my first crack at winterizing my 08 Avalanche with the black scorpion 5.7, and this is what I did so please let me know if I have missed anything. This CC website helped me so much with this project so a big thank you to all you peeps.

Parts

Oil filter 866340601

Fuel/Water separator 802893T

Impeller kit 862232A2

Mercruiser synthetic blend oil

Mercruiser gear oil

Dextron III ATF

Stabil – make sure you add this and let the engine run for awhile

Notes

I didn’t fog my engine since it is fuel injected and that requires pickle juice in the fuel line. I wish I had more time

I didn’t run RV antifreeze through my block because I ran out of time and I didn’t have all the materials (bucket with make hose adapter at the bottom)

I did run RV antifreeze through my ballast pumps and bags

No heater

The V Drive and oil filter took the most amount of time

It took me some time but knowing my boat is worth more to me.

Fake a Lake

Warm up motor by fake a lake or taking her out on the water. My water intake was the gold grill between the speedo wheel and the prop. I bought the fake a lake from Canadian tire for $20. Keep an eye on the temp gauge if using this system.

gallery_7_222_607837.png

V Drive

I removed the seat for better access to the V drive

gallery_7_222_130631.png

3/8 and 9/16 open end wrench required. I could not see the drain plug since it was facing the motor so I took a picture to find out exactly where it was. I used the 3/8 wrench to remove this plug. My oil level gage could not be removed, no enough room but I did open it to let some air in for faster drain. There is not much room under the V drive so I cut a milk carton in half (reminded me of making my ships when I was a kid) and it caught all the oil. Then I used the fluid extractor to suck the oil out of my make shift ship. I also removed the two magnetic plugs, there is one on each side (9/16 open end wrench) and cleaned them up.

gallery_7_222_925057.png

gallery_7_222_667495.png

gallery_7_222_63394.png

After the drain and magnetic plugs were tightened up (I used Teflon tape on the threads), I removed the filler cap and poured in .5 litres of gear oil (as per manual) but I couldn’t check the level because the dipstick cannot be removed.

gallery_7_222_552124.png

gallery_7_222_761854.png

V Drive oil change completed

Transmission

Remove the transmission dip stick and insert fluid extractor tube, and begin extracting ATF. Fill with ATF, I used a paper funnel and attached it to the throttle cable. I didn’t clean the filter since I only have 30 hours on her. Transmission oil change complete.

gallery_7_222_921337.png

Engine Oil Change

Remove dip stick and extract the oil using the use fluid extractor. I found it easier to have a seal at the top of the tube. Apparently there is a screw on adapter for mine so I will have to hunt one down.

gallery_7_222_78309.png

Remove oil filer and replace with a new one, don’t forget to add a bit of oil into the filter and oil the gasket. I am thinking of relocating the oil filter with a remote for easier access.

gallery_7_222_59554.png

gallery_7_222_253791.png

Fill with the correct amount of engine oil and start engine for a few minutes then check oil level.

Engine oil change complete.

Water drain

V Drive water drain plugs, there are two and they are located on each side just like the magnetic plugs

gallery_7_222_326719.png

gallery_7_222_199869.png

Engine block, I left all the plugs out

Picture taken from this forum – this rocked thank you

Next season

I will change the fuel/water separator at the beginning of next season along with the impeller

gallery_7_222_146840.png

Wash, clean, and wax boat for hibernation.

gallery_7_222_388784.png

gallery_7_222_388231.png

Link below will take you to a PDF version of this.

PDF Version

Troy    234

Very Nice write up! thanks!

SMITH    2

Totalperformace,

What products did you use for cleaning and waxing your hull?

Totalperformace,

What products did you use for cleaning and waxing your hull?

I used turtle car wash soap and Mequiars #50 Marine Cleaner Wax one step.

duramat    462

Total, fandamntastic write up! I wish I you could of done this earlier for me to follow. Your pics are awesome and perfect for all to follow :thumbsup:

600    0

Great write up and pictures. :thumbsup: Easy to follow for us first timers. Thanks.

Holzy22    0

I just totally drained my v-drive because there was some water cantanmonation. I even raised the bow and left it for a couple days to make sure it all got out. But, I had to put a litre of gear oil back in. Now every post I have seen says it calls for .5 litre, but .5 litre did not even show on the dipstick. A full litre brought it to the high mark on the dip.

Any ideas why?

WakeDoc    471

Depending if it is a Walter V-Drive it should take around a quart of 30w motor oil from dry to full, most of the transmissions take around 2 quarts of Dextron III from dry to full, if I remember correctly.

Check your manuals or look on the manufactures to be sure.

Holzy22    0

I answered my own question.

FYI

Walter V-drive manula says:

RV10 to 10D = 1 pints of Gear oil

RV20 to 20D = 2 pints

RV26 to 26D = 2 pints

RV30 to 30D = 3 pints

RV36 to 36D = 3 pints

RV40 to 40D = 4 pints

RV48 to 48D = 5 pints

RV50 to 50D = 5 pints

So since I am canadian, the only pint I know of comes from bar with a nice frosty head. So I drank a pint of Canada's finest and figured out it was almost a 1/2 litre. So since my v-drive is a RV26, the litre of gear oil I put in is correct.

So maybe chek your v-drive model to know how much to put in a totally drained unit.

Some one may want to let me know if this is not the case as I am now on my 3rd 1/2 litre of brew.

I just totally drained my v-drive because there was some water cantanmonation. I even raised the bow and left it for a couple days to make sure it all got out. But, I had to put a litre of gear oil back in. Now every post I have seen says it calls for .5 litre, but .5 litre did not even show on the dipstick. A full litre brought it to the high mark on the dip.

Any ideas why?

I answered my own question.

Thats a great question. I remember the v drive oil it filled up my make shift container (1.89l milk carton cut in half) but I only replaced .5l because I can't remove my dip stick to check. I think I will check with fineline for the correct amount of oil.

FYI

Walter V-drive manula says:

RV10 to 10D = 1 pints of Gear oil

RV20 to 20D = 2 pints

RV26 to 26D = 2 pints

RV30 to 30D = 3 pints

RV36 to 36D = 3 pints

RV40 to 40D = 4 pints

RV48 to 48D = 5 pints

RV50 to 50D = 5 pints

So since I am canadian, the only pint I know of comes from bar with a nice frosty head. So I drank a pint of Canada's finest and figured out it was almost a 1/2 litre. So since my v-drive is a RV26, the litre of gear oil I put in is correct.

So maybe chek your v-drive model to know how much to put in a totally drained unit.

Some one may want to let me know if this is not the case as I am now on my 3rd 1/2 litre of brew.

Thanks for the info, hope is was a good cold pint. My v drive is a 26D so I still need to add 1 pint.

Edited by Totalperformance

islander033    2
.... I can't remove my dip stick to check...

You should be able to pull your dipstick to check. Mine pulls out easier throught the engine compartment side than going through the front. It is able to bend slightly if needed.

Unless this is an AVY issue?

You should be able to pull your dipstick to check. Mine pulls out easier throught the engine compartment side than going through the front. It is able to bend slightly if needed.

Unless this is an AVY issue?

Thanks, I will have to try next year when I get my boat to see if the dip stick will bend a bit.

duramat    462

Hey Total, your thread came in handy today! Thank you for your effort in doing this with pics and all. Whats the trick to getting the fill cap off on the v-drive? Is ths a twist and pop off or continual thread it off. Im not doing something right and dont want to get to medieval on this.

When you changed your magnetic filter did you have alot ( little) of sludge on yours?

Hey Total, your thread came in handy today! Thank you for your effort in doing this with pics and all. Whats the trick to getting the fill cap off on the v-drive? Is ths a twist and pop off or continual thread it off. Im not doing something right and dont want to get to medieval on this.

When you changed your magnetic filter did you have alot ( little) of sludge on yours?

Use and open end or adjustable wrench to get the filler off (it is pipe thread). I guess there was a bit of sludge on the magnets but it looked normal to me.

Glad it helped. :thumbsup:

duramat    462

Hey, how much tranny fluid did you manage to suck out anyways? I sucked out about 1.3 liters (1.5 quarts) with a handpump. Is there not a drain plug on these bad boys? I put back in what I took out and will check again (level) when Im back out on the water. :thumbsup:

sidenote*

11/16 socket worked getting the magnetic filters off. I didnt have anything to (socket) for that 3/8" square drain on the V-drive. Its quite the little "dog in heat" to get to :wallbash: We got her though! Wife threw away 3 milk jugs last night and the garbage man came so I couldnt go dumpster diving (dont judge me :innocent: ) However I had a couple of 1 gallon ice cream buckets that came in handy. I sliced the one to about 3 inches high to get under and it worked great. Again thanx for the detail you put into this :unworthy:

Edited by duramat

Hey, how much tranny fluid did you manage to suck out anyways? I sucked out about 1.3 liters (1.5 quarts) with a handpump. Is there not a drain plug on these bad boys? I put back in what I took out and will check again (level) when Im back out on the water. :thumbsup:

sidenote*

11/16 socket worked getting the magnetic filters off. I didnt have anything to (socket) for that 3/8" square drain on the V-drive. Its quite the little "dog in heat" to get to :wallbash: We got her though! Wife threw away 3 milk jugs last night and the garbage man came so I couldnt go dumpster diving (dont judge me :innocent: ) However I had a couple of 1 gallon ice cream buckets that came in handy. I sliced the one to about 3 inches high to get under and it worked great. Again thanx for the detail you put into this :unworthy:

i drained mine and it was about 1 pint

IMG_1916.jpg

duramat    462

That looks like the back of the V-drive?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..