CdnWakesurfr

Off Season Fitness Challenge

islander033    2
id hate to be a meanie but, im trying to gain weight....

When was the last time you were dewormed?

PS. Thanks for the tips.

wakewife    0

I'll play....it's not the off season yet here but by next season I would like to have lost about 25 lbs. Get back to my fighting weight.

I was a competitive swimmer, polo player through college and really want to get back to somewhere near that shape when I was in college still swimming.

My plan.

trainer once a week.

gym hour a day 4-5 times a week.

work hardest on diet .

Good luck everyone!!

tank222    2

I really need to work on this, this winter. Diet is deffintaly the hardest thing. This week I cut out all engery drinks/soda fast food etc. I just started running again last night. My dog loves it so I'm trying to get him out more as well. I need to lose like 60 pounds.

Diet is definitely the hardest thing.

This is true. What I would add to this based on my experience and from my trainer is you have to eat. And eat more than you think, more often. Read my blog around week 3 and 4 when Anthony told me to stop counting calories and eat more. This was counter intuitive at first.

Eating the right things 5 to 6 times a day is key. Start with a good breakfast to jump start the metabolism, have a snack a few hours later, lunch, another snack, then dinner.

Eating the right things at the right times is a huge part to weight loss/management. As big as exercise.

But the bottom line is still burn more than you take in if you want to lose, it is not magic.

Good luck.

T

Eating the right things 5 to 6 times a day is key. Start with a good breakfast to jump start the metabolism, have a snack a few hours later, lunch, another snack, then dinner.

Eating the right things at the right times is a huge part to weight loss/management. As big as exercise.

But the bottom line is still burn more than you take in if you want to lose, it is not magic.

couldnt have said it anybetter myself.

CdN, yeah im 18 and so are all my buddies. i do have to watch my weight when Im older, my entire family on my dad's is overweigh/obese. My dad, on the other hand, broke his jaw in high school [[some 500 years ago!]], and lost somewhere around 50 lbs. He claims that was the best thing that ever happened to him. hes sitting at 210 and he's 6'2.

Trev said it perfectly, if you break down your meals and have the biggest one as a breakfast [[iNSTEAD OF DINNER]], slimming down, even without exercise can be done.

just walking if you have leg problems, or swimming [[less impact on joints, and tougher]] will be your best bet.

if you cant get to the gym then get some ankle weights and 5 lb dumbells.

oh, and a guy once told me that its not about how much you lift, or how many times you lift it. Its about intensity, can you get your heart rate up?

Islander, this worm is a curse for now, you can have it anytime.

and no problem on the tips, but in all reality its not up to me to get people in shape, they have to work it themselves. i can only provide information through studies, science, and personal experience [[as in talking to other's personally]]

PO, its all about diet. cut the alcohol completely and itll work wonders.

one of my friends told me this, im not sure if it's true, but i sure wouldnt doubt it.

One hangover = one lost week at the gym.

im not exactly sure the complete reasons, but i would think that something like this is true.

rizza32    0

Im kinda a meat head and work out consistently. Start by cutting out all bread fried food and desert. I believe 80% of it is how you eat. And build off this by getting too eating meat and vegetables. Its proven that ur body does not need anything else. Stir fry with no rice or chicken salad. Its tuff for the first three wks but you will get used to it. Look into the yoplait greek yogurts for breakfast. 120 calories with up to 14 grms of protein and no fructose syrup. Almonds and cashews are great for snacks just stay away from peanuts because they are not in the same class and dont posses the healthy fats the others have. Coffee is fine as long as its black.

As far as work out I still do my old school chest and tricep day, back and bicep, shoulders, and legs. I just try to speed everything up and reduce the amount of rest between sets which gets you into a more anaerobic work out and will ultimately burn more calories. As soon as you stop running ur done burning calories but with an anaerobic work out which includes circuits with weights you will continue to burn calories 4 to 6 hrs after your workout. This is the same philosophy as the p90x and insanity routines. Btw the p90x ab work out is great and a butt kicker. I personally had a hard time getting from 160 to 150. What really helped me was the Crossfit routine. I will do 2 crossfit conditioning workouts a wk. Short sweet and total but kickers. Check out the crossfit website. We had one of their reps do a class for our Fire department and the guy was legit. Dude was an animal and pretty motivating. Check the site and you can build ur own work outs, just bust your butt and improve on time and put in the effort.

Once you get to your goal you can cheat and go to all you can eat sushi or have desert here and there. Everything is fine in moderation after you reach your goals. But while you r trying to reach goals cheating will only extend you out farther.

Good luck

duffymahoney    10

I have been around 170-175 i'm 5'11 for a few years now. At my heaviest I was 220 or so. What I do is this

I eat 2 eggs for breakfast with 2 all natural turkey sausage links or some lean ham. I use pan spray with 0 calories. I also try to avoid any carbs at lunch if possible. Then I eat whatever I want for dinner but try to keep the portion normal.

I try to run or do some sort of cardio for at least 45 minutes 2-3 days a week. I then lift weights (pretty normal stuff, chest, back etc...) the other 2-3 days a week. Seems to work great with not a lot of effort. The biggest change I saw was doing the eggs for breakfast. Good source of protein and no carbs.

Edited by duffymahoney

I have been around 170-175 i'm 5'11 for a few years now. At my heaviest I was 220 or so. What I do is this

I eat 2 eggs for breakfast with 2 all natural turkey sausage links or some lean ham. I use pan spray with 0 calories. I also try to avoid any carbs at lunch if possible. Then I eat whatever I want for dinner but try to keep the portion normal.

I try to run or do some sort of cardio for at least 45 minutes 2-3 days a week. I then lift weights (pretty normal stuff, chest, back etc...) the other 2-3 days a week. Seems to work great with not a lot of effort. The biggest change I saw was doing the eggs for breakfast. Good source of protein and no carbs.

That's pretty impressive Duffy, if I owned a brew pub, I'd be performing quality control on each of them on a daily basis.

That's pretty impressive Duffy, if I owned a brew pub, I'd be performing quality control on each of them on a daily basis.

Hell, Quality Control team meeting's would be a blast!

duffymahoney    10

I do drink some beer:) Maybe not up to a Canadians standard

boatdr    1

P90X

It works, I am 53 5'8" 170-175 and can run with guys 25-30 no prob.I have not been on the program since last winter. But believe me you will be in shape when you are done. Even if you dont make the full round you will see a major change.

But it WILL kick your A##. I am going to startback again November after bike week and work travels slow down. Dont want to sound like a infomercial here but it is worth checking out

I do the P90x for the yoga, plyometrics, abs and stretching (which are crazy workouts in themselves). I prefer my weights/cardio circuit for other muscle training. I might give the other p90x workouts another go though.

islander033    2
....Islander, this worm is a curse for now, you can have it anytime...

I had "worms" until I was around 27...what happens after is the real curse...lol.

Enjoy it while it lasts. :thumbsup:

Joe B    17

Fairly flat stomach now, but I want to be able to count my abs by next bikini season.

This past year I got to my ideal weight by:

bump up cardio to 5+ days a week burned it all off quick, too quick like 6-8 weeks. Run 3-5 mi a day on treadmill.

Started eating breakfast for the first time ever of egg whites, wheat bread, juice,

Take GNC sport vitamin packs: nice for the added boost, but not needed

Ideal Weight change: I lift 3 days a week, each a different area, run 3 miles two days a week.

Protein shake at breakfast weight lift day and after workout ASAP.

Limit white carbs and soda. Lean meats and smaller portions - always split a meal at dinner.

I drink beer one day a week (sixer) - it's what's killing me.

I almost Never eat Fried Food anymore :thumbsup:

Do what works for you and go an extra rep, lap, set, whatever each time!!!!

Kyle    0

This is cool. About 2 weeks ago I was at 215, but im only 5'8", so i'm a fatty. I started a second job to pay for my summer and I'm down to 203 this morning. When I was 19 I started my career as a fire fighter at 146 pounds, I put on 5 pounds a year for the first 11 years and held pretty steady around 180-200 for last 10-11 years.

Okay, I am in! I will take a pic of my weight and post it on here and get into the challenge. I actually have to before I deploy to the sand pit and get my run on too. Since I am a Nurse in the AF, I am considered a "non-combatant" and cannot carry a weapon unless in the middle of a fight and the last time I was in that situation I did get shot, and yes, it hurts. So now if I hear shots, I have to run fast and I do not want to make 2 trips!

So I will start my exercise program Sunday and have a pic posted and will post pics of my progression. Do not want to rename my boat the SS Phat Arse!

duffymahoney    10

I've gone from like 178 to a steady 170. My goal is now 165 or so.

so hows everyone doing?

I worked out a couple times, but drank quite a bit of wine...and some bourbon, couple beers. Really not my fault. Dinner parties, birthday parties. I better go into hiding if I'm going to succeed.