Sign in to follow this  
jonboy

looking to pick up a centurion have some questions

jonboy    0

Hey I'm looking at picking up a 2001 centurion eclipse air warrior v-drive it looks to be in good condition. my main concern is 660 hours alot on a boat?

Edited by jonboy

9 seasons on the boat means under 75 hours per year. I would say that sounds like a less than average hours on the boat. Just have the engine and boat checked over by a dealer or mechanic you trust. Good Luck.

jonboy    0

also is there anything i should look? I know the boat has a center ballast system and 2 extra fat sacs for rear. has wakeboard tower and tower speakers. this will be my first wakeboard boat gonna go check it out in a couple of days.

Nick    0

75 hours a year isnt bad at all i put over 120 in one summer on my last boat and had it less then a year. its almost better to have a boat thats been used versus one thats just been sitting. look at the oil if its dark and nasty it shows how they care for their boat.

these are great beginner v drives i owned one for 2 years prior to my enzo. and if it was taken care of the hrs are pretty low. keep in mind this is a ski boat with the motor put in the rear the hull was designed as a direct drive and is great for ski and beginning wakeboard and not so good for surf. so if your looking for a wakeboard/surf boat maybe look for a elite v prob around the same money. just my own 2 cents!!!! and a i loved my eclipse prob one of the best boats ive owned. good luck

jonboy    0

Another question the eclipse is the only 21 foot model correct? All the guy told me

was that it was a centurion air warrior so I asumed from nada when

I was looking it up showed the eclipse was the only 21 foot boat

jonboy    0

here a picture of the boat maybe to help out

post-1427-1275945909_thumb.jpg

Big Po    1

I hope you can get it cheap enough.....Cause that trailer looks like it needs an overhaul. LOL

Those springs are probably shot on that trailer, it appeared to be squatting a good bit on that rear axle. I'd check it out before agreeing to anything. You might can use it as "ammo for your arsenal" when negotiating final price. But as far as the boat, it appears to be in pretty good shape.

Good luck.

Edited by Big Po

looks decent but its not an eclipse its either an elite or typhoon i think not to sure but def not an eclipse. good luck

enzo101mo    98

Looks to me that the boat and trailer are outside all year long. The trailer is in BAD shape. If the trailer is bad as it looks I think the boat was not well take care of either. Ask for service and repair records, check the interior vinyl for crack drying dull looking. If you are still interested in after looking at it take it to a centurion boat mechanic. Ask why the boat guide is gone, I also check the hull completely.

jonboy    0

hey guys ya he asking 16500 for the boat.. i know it gonna need some TLC especially the trailer.. here a couple more pics.. what you mean by boat guide? im sorry if thats a dumb question.. not fimilar with all the terms of boating... also its got a low voltage problem i know i can figure out whats wrong.. but what would you say a fair offer would be judging from the pics and what not?

post-1427-1275962054_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1275962094_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1275962354_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1275962647_thumb.jpg

duffymahoney    10

Looks like a sweet boat at a good price.

Troy    234

I think the trailer will need more than TLC. I think I see holes through the trailer itself. Which would say to me that a New trailer will be needed $$$. The boat guides are the poles that stick up at the back of the trailer to keep the boat centered on the trailer when you pull it out of the water. They appear to be missing in the pictures, you can see the mounting holes but no poles.

I think the boat looks like a Elite V. But I am not sure!

Salt water use?? Defiantly have a Mechanic look it over really good!

jonboy    0

Ya I forgot to mention that the owner said it was a elite v..And as far as I know no salt water he lives on a fresh water lake.

h20king    794

there is a real nice 1999 elite v on Portland Craig's list with 309 hrs and new upholstery for $1600 but if you like the one which you posted the trailer needs some work but not that bad it is lifted way up in the front so the axles look funny but it will need a guide post .if the boat checks out and you could get it for $15000 I dont think you would be sorry

duffymahoney    10

My trailer doesn't have guide posts? It's the original trailer too.

fastjohnny    0

The last ad I saw this boat in said 450 hours, FWIW.

As long as you can get it home on the trailer it's on, the trailer would be low on my priority list. I'd worry about that later. High on my list would be condition, condition, condition. Bargaining points ($$) for any and all imperfections. If it's not in shipshape condition, a seller is not going to get top dollar, in my book.

Sounds like a potentially good deal. I'd do it. I enjoy the hunt for a project to save some coin, yet get on the water in a decent boat with a little sweat equity.

Big Po    1

The interior looks to be in pretty good shape for being stored outside...

I would definitely do some hard looking at it and at every nood & cranny to find something wrong. Anything you find wrong is more money to fix.....but it means you have more bargaining room for getting a better deal.

Like they said, guide poles are a very nice feature to have. You should look into replacing them if you get it.

Also, the trailer does look pretty rough. I'd also hawk-eye the entire trailer, and give it a thorough inspection as well. The trailer may not be THAT important...but as long as it can get you to your main destination safely, then you can launch the boat and do some serious trailer inspecting after you get the boat off. Having it soda-blasted and re-painted wouldn't be a half-bad idea, and while it's blasted, check for rust holes, and have them cut out and patched.

Like everyone else has said, some TLC will do it good, given that the boat is mechanically sound and checks out in all aspecs.

I would bargain with them as much as possible. Mainly b/c I rarely pay asking price for anything, unless they just won't budge off of it and I REALLY want what they're selling. LOL!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Kyle    0

First stop on the way home should be at the tire store if the tires look cracked or rotted at all. I think the boat looks in real nice shape, maybe a little mold on the vinyl in one of the seats. I agree with H2OKing, it looks like the trailer is cranked all the way up, putting majority of weight on the rear axle of the trailer.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

bigbull    0

That is an Elite V. I have the same boat, the same year. We like ours, we picked it up for 16K with 149 hours on it. Fair tower, great trailer with wiring issues, medium grade stereo with some issues, swim platform never maintained. Otherwise, great shape for hull and motor and tranny. We used these issues as bargaining tools and they came down from $19,500 to the $16,000. Be patient, if you are not comfortable with the boat, wait, and stay looking.

BB