We haven't even had our boat for one year and already had to take it in because of a small leak. When we had the issue diagnosed, they said it was a leaky bearing on the drive shaft. We asked if this was a common problem with this style of boat, but they didn't really give us a direct answer. The dealer did say that they have already fixed NINE other boats with the same problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if a recall is coming out shortly? Hopefully Centurion doesn't become the Toyota of the boating world...

h20king    794

First off it is not a centurion thing it is a marine hardware thing as they are the ones who make the drip less shaft packing that are having so much trouble.They were also last on the market with a drip less packing the reason many builders use them is marinehardwhere also makes all the tracking fins and struts and rudders and shaft systems that come stock on all boat brands so it is easier for the manufacture to just order there system along with the rest of there goods.there are other boat manufactures that use other systems that are far superior than the marine hardware unit such as the pss system and oj has a system as well if your unit fails it is worth the extra coin for the pss or oj I will be swapping out mine for the pss next year I was going to do it this year but ran out of time

Oldwakedude    0

Well, replaced the seals in my dripless shaft seal this weekend. Almost gave up a couple of times, but I finally got the coupling nut off, then of course fineline installed the seal when the engine was out of the boat so getting at the hose clamps was a problem. Hadn't thought about the OJ or PSS replacement, but we'll see how this one does. Last one only lasted a year :wallbash: , but that may have had something to do with the grease fitting falling out :thumbsup:, not sure if that was a bad install by fineline west or what :realmad: . But alas, it is all installed properly now and tested tight :animier:

Is this drip problem something common? When we first noticed a leak, it wasn't coming in that fast. In fact, we probably could have gone out for the day and just used the bilge pump if we ended up with too much water. However, we are pretty new to this style of boat and wanted safety to come first. When we talked with the mechanic, he said having no drip at all was not good either. Something about your drive shaft or something burning up?

When it was all said and done (after the new install), we still had a small amount of water in the boat at the end of the day. I'm not sure if that was from surfing, our cooler drain, a small "natural" drip from the drive shaft, or all of the above? It wasn't enough for the bilge to pick up until we trailered and then it shot out about enough to fill a drinking glass. Is a small amount of water common in all boats like these, or should they be dry?

Did you fill the new one with wheel bearing grease before you installed it? Then did you bleed it by pulling the small phillips screws out and pumping grease into it while you had a friend turning the prop shaft. If you do all of this you should not have any drips at all and is should last a long time. You should still do the grease serts once every year. I do mine at winterize time.

I did not do the modification myself. We took it to the dealer. We were told that it was a bearing that went bad, but I have a suspicion that it has to do with greasing it as well. If we continue to experience water, we'll just take it in and I'll mention all of these procedures to the mechanic.

Lastly, I've been reading about a heavy grade bolt part for the shaft. Something about an OJ and a PSS? What exactly are those? Sorry, I'm new to the V-Drive world.

Packrat    13

Here is a link to the video that Jeff and Mark did (two guys and a video camera) regarding the fitting you have leaking. Mine leaked pretty good and I followed this video and no more leak. You need to use Marine Trailer wheel bearing grease and a grease gun. Get the smallest grease gun you can get like the one they use. Also very important go to Home Depot and buy this kit "Husky" 40 piece Mini Stubby Kit. #456303 about ten bucks. The area to do this work is very small and this kit has a ratchet and phillips head socket so you can unscrew the screw, and get some leverage on it in tight places to allow the grease to expand out. The kit also has the tips to unscrew the square head screws on the dash board as well as the clamps on your hoses.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/replacing-shaft-seal-t1569.html

Oldwakedude    0

If your Enzo is less than a year old then you have the Marine Hardware dripless shaft seal. If your mechanic is telling you it is suppose to drip slightly then he doesn't know what he is talking about and you need a new mechanic. The continuous drip requirement is for the packed style seal. The OJ and PSS are other manufactures of dripless shaft seals. From what I've read the OJ appears to be similar to the Marine Hardware design, just different materials. The PSS design is a mechanical seal design. Each one seems to have it's pluses and minuses. Currently Centurion is using the Marine Hardware gear and their design calls for marine grease between the inner and outer lip seals. This provides lubrication to the seals and helps block the entry of water. With this seal you should have no dripping at the shaft.

Here is a link that shows the OJ and PSS seals

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1032

the attache photo is the Marine Hardware version:

post-361-1275929004_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldwakedude

kgordon7378    0

NWR

Since it sounds like you are new to this, I will go over the basics, and hopefully it will make more sense. Our boats, being v-drive or direct drive, have a shaft going thru the hull. This hole needs to be sealed tight, or you sink. Thus, there is a driveshaft fitting/seal. There is two different types. The first one is an older style (about 2003ish they started switching, but varies). This style used a rope impregnated with wax/teflon to wrap around the driveshaft. A packing nut and lock nut were used to tighten the packing down to allow for a tight seal, yet you wanted to leave it loose enough to allow a few drips of water thru, which allowed the driveshaft to cool. Thus a drip or two a minute was acceptable. The new system is a dripless system in which uses a seal that is injected with grease to provide lubrication and a water tight seal, and it is also cooled with water that comes from the engine water system. Thus if you have a water line (little about a 1/4 inch clear tube) that goes back to the hoses on the engine, you have the newer system. On the new system, you need to fill it with grease via the grease fitting and a grease gun. You do so by removing one of the vent screws and filling it till it comes out the vent, then put the screw back in.

In your prior posts you stated that the bearing was bad, there is no bearing in these units, rather seals holding some sort of lubracating device to allow the shaft to spin while maintaining a water tight seal. As H20 stated, the manuf. that Centurion uses has had issues with there system. Not everyone has had issues, yet some have experienced it. Different manuf. have better systems that have been less prone to leaks.

Thanks for all the help guys. I plan to watch it this weekend and then if the problem continues, I'll take it back in and then question the mechanic on all you've mentioned. Again, after the "fix" we didn't see much of anything inside the engine compartment. It was a little damp at first, but nothing serious. After we drove up the river a little ways and started to wakesurf, I checked it again and we did have some water inside, but not enough for the bilge to pick up unless we got a large amount of bow-rise.

@packrat thanks for the youtube video. I watched that the other night and I plan to show it to my mechanic. The dealer I bought from has only been carrying Centurions for 2-3 years, so hopefully they'll become more and more familiar with the ins and outs before long.

Oldwakedude    0

My last Centurion was a 2000 Elite V-drive. As I remember it had the dripless seal, I never had a problem with it in the 7 years I owned it, never greased it or even thought much about it. From a design standpoint once the unit is greased it should never require more grease unless it starts to leak, then greasing it then might help to seal it up for a while, but if it leaked that means both the inner and outer seals are both bad. An improperly greased unit will blow by the outer seal and fill up the water cooling channels, which could also cause problems. I'd say if you aren't sure of what and why you are doing it, and it doesn't leak, leave it alone.

Joe B    17

Thanks guys. Was taking more water than acceptible today. Was worse when we loaded down 2000lbs ballast to surf (more pressure?). Bilge kicked on every 2 minutes while sitting still. Last year it was about an hour of surfing loaded for the bilge to kick on.

OWD: thanks for the last post. I don't want to chance screwing it up so I'll have my awesome dealer do it.

I just purchased a 99 Ski Centurion, and it has a slow leak that causes the bilge pump to activate a couple times a day. I am suspecting this is the propeller shaft seal as described below. Can somebody confirm this? Also assuming I have the older wax seal, is it possible to retrofit with the newer grease seal which looks a whole lot more reliable?

Edited by floatinghomeguy

Zelmo    0

Does anyone have a trick to get the little screw out to bleed the grease out?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..