Sloner3020    0

I have a buddy with a 2002 Centurion Concourse and was looking to buy a ACME prop to give me a bit more JERKIN power for surfing. I was unsure what the gear ratio was for that particular V-Drive? I am assuming 1:1?? 4 blade? He is at around 3500 feet and wanted any advice as to which prop to get. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

duffymahoney    10

Should be 1:1. 3 blade is best with this ratio. Bigcat is selling a good prop for your boat. Most extreme is the Acme 911.

• Like 1

kgordon7378    0

What prop is he currently running? My guess is the 515, from there he could go with a 525, or the more agreessive 911 as duffy stated. After a conversation with Acme last summer, they really dont reccommend the 4 blade on direct drives (not that you cant use a 4 blade), that the technology of the 3 blade has eliminated some of the negatives about the 3 blade. Yet, they did inform me on the bigger boats, such as the enzo and avy, they still use the 4 blade.

Sloner3020    0

First of all thank you gentlemen for your quick response. Honestly I am not sure what prop he is currently using :innocent: I will try and find out. I have heard the same in regards to using a 3 blade as oppose to the 4 blade. Do you have any idea what size BigCat has? That might work out perfect.

duffymahoney    10

Your prop should be stamped. Check the numbers and get back to us.

Bigcatpt    408
First of all thank you gentlemen for your quick response. Honestly I am not sure what prop he is currently using :innocent: I will try and find out. I have heard the same in regards to using a 3 blade as oppose to the 4 blade. Do you have any idea what size BigCat has? That might work out perfect.

I have a Acme 653. It is perfect for the older 1:1 gearing like what was standard in 02 and 03 boats like mine, duffys, and your buddys. It has been on the boat for a total of 1 day for 3 hours and is in brand new shape. Not a mark on it. If I was dishonest and told you it was new in the box you would not be able to tell otherwise. Here are the details....

3 blade

1 1/8 inch shaft

13 inch diameter

11.5 pitch

left hand rotation

Shipped anywhere in the US for $300.

post-188-1273081649_thumb.jpg

post-188-1273081657_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigcatpt

Sloner3020    0

BigCat will this particular prop fit on an 02 centurion concourse? And if so will it provide the proper pull for 2000+lbs ballast at 3000ft?

Bigcatpt    408
BigCat will this particular prop fit on an 02 centurion concourse? And if so will it provide the proper pull for 2000+lbs ballast at 3000ft?

Yes this prop will fit a concourse.

I am assuming that the boat has the standard 350 mag engine that is 315 HP????

The concourse is the 23 foot boat so it is 1 foot bigger than my avy is and a little bit heavier. But you are running almost 2000 feet lower elevation than I am as well. I started with the 653 and I run about 2200 lbs of ballast. At this elevation (almost 5000 feet) the 653 would push me about 10.3 to 10.5 MPH. I needed to go to the 911 prop to get up to 11.0 mph at this elevation. At your lower elevation you should be able to get 11.0 to 11.5 MPH out of the 653 because I was easily able to get that out of it at Lake Powell. Elevation makes a huge difference in performance. When I go to Lake Powell or Sand Hollow my boat goes like a rocket compared to this elevation.

Edited by Bigcatpt

Bigcatpt    408

But crawl under there and see what he is running currently and that will give us a good idea which direction to point you.

Jackfly has the typhoon (same as the concourse) and we had his boat out the other day at this elevation and he is running the acme 231 which is a 12.5 pitch 4 blade and when we loaded him down with 2400 lbs of ballast the 231 could only get him to 10.0 mph. He needs to try out the 653 or the 911 for this elevation.

Sloner3020    0

Thanks BigCat! Ill give him a shout and let you know what develops. Thanks again for all your help! If he is interested I will pass him your way sir.

Bigcatpt    408

Let us know what you find...

Just curious... what is currently happening with his current prop and current ballast weight???? What kind of speed can you get up to???

Sloner3020    0

From what I understand he is running around 2200# port side and is having trouble getting above 10mph. He is unsure what type of prop he currently is running but has heard very good things about ACME and their performance. He asked my suggestion and I told him that if it were me I would look at what type of prop your running and get into either a ACME 653 or 911.

Bigcatpt    408

I just did a little research. The acme 653 and acme 525 props are almost identical props. There is only a .020 cup difference between them. I talked to JT at Nettle props and asked about the cup difference. He said that a .020 cup difference will give you no noticeable performance difference in either hole shot or top end. They are essentially the same prop...

http://www.nettleprops.com/store/p/25-Acme...-8-080-Cup.aspx

http://www.nettleprops.com/store/p/31-Acme...re-060-Cup.aspx

h20king    794

or you could buy my cutter stainless four blade 13 x 13.5 for $250 I only used it for my water test about one hour prop is in new condition and will give you a little more top end then the one above also four blades are smother than three blades as three is a prime number and is much harder to get perfectly balanced

1911    4

With ACME's prop making process, the three blades are perfectly balanced and very smooth. I have a 911 on my Typhoon and run about 2000 lbs plus people. With the 911 and fully weighed down, I can get on plane and get up to 35 easy. Top speed is 41 per gps. I had the 515 and the 911 was a huge difference. Also, I am only about 1000' above sea level.

h20king    794

yes brand new they are perfect but once damaged they will never be the same again.My problem with acme is they are thin super thin and are easily damaged here is a pic of my new oj next to the acme oj wins hands down in strength and durability the blades are twice as thick and they are cnc props as well I would have stayed with stainless but could not find the size I wantedpost-777-1273109761_thumb.jpgpost-777-1273109772_thumb.jpg

Edited by h20king

1911    4
yes brand new they are perfect but once damaged they will never be the same again.My problem with acme is they are thin super thin and are easily damaged

Okay, that may be. I have never damaged one. Just wanted to make sure he knew that acme made good stuff and they were properly balanced. I know some older three blade props were out of balance even new, but i think most companies have fixed that now.

duffymahoney    10

I've had both, both are great. Acme has more choices. That's usually why I end up buying acme.

Bigcatpt    408
or you could buy my cutter stainless four blade 13 x 13.5 for $250 I only used it for my water test about one hour prop is in new condition and will give you a little more top end then the one above also four blades are smother than three blades as three is a prime number and is much harder to get perfectly balanced

I really doubt a 13 pitch prop is gonna work for his older 1:1 gearing even if it is a super duper stainless, perfectly balanced, and super smooth (non prime number) 4 blade prop. :unworthy:

h20king    794

so wise one tell us why a 13 pitch prop wont work on a 1:1 gearing ??? and please explain how a 13 x 11 3 blade will be so much better