Jackfly    0

I have been reluctant to admit this on CCC, but I'm finding my Typhoon to be very hard to get onto the trailer. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know, you're all thinking "what a loser". I have always owned I/O's and thought I was "the man" when it came down to docking, trailering, ect, and never had any problems; I was always the one laughing at the other fools at the boat ramp while I either helped them out or smoothly loaded up and drove away! Now I just can't seem to get it all together. I thought I knew about side thrust and all the other factors that come into play with an inboard. My problems in particular are:

1. speed- idle is too fast and shifting in and out of idle/neutral starts the stern swinging to the right, way right. Reverse does not help the situation, onlly makes it worse.

2. trailer depth- I can't seem to figure out what depth is ideal for our trailer. I used to just submerge the wheels, but that seems too deep with this boat. Variations on that arragment haven't seemed to help.

This is doubly hard to figure out as my wife stays in the boat when re launch and retrieve, I think it is WAY easier to manuver a boat than the truck/trailer in our small marina. I can then stand at the trailer and give her help if she needs it. (always done in a calm manner :):popo: . Now I'm not sure what to tell her when she is getting a little out of whack.

So have a heart. Get up off the floor and help a guy out. :cray:

fastjohnny    0

I start with about and inch or so of the fenders above water, try to stay aways back from the trailer, stay straight, and coast in at a moderate speed. If I need throttle, I just bump it in and out of gear, and counter steer. Usually I have enough momentum to get up to the point where the trailer bunks engage the hull and can motor up to the winch with ease, without any power loading.

islander033    2
I start with about and inch or so of the fenders above water, try to stay aways back from the trailer, stay straight, and coast in at a moderate speed. If I need throttle, I just bump it in and out of gear, and counter steer. Usually I have enough momentum to get up to the point where the trailer bunks engage the hull and can motor up to the winch with ease, without any power loading.

This is what I do too. ^^^

I used to power load but not since I dinged the prop :popo: while doing so.

David    0

These boats can be a bear especially if you add a little wind to the mix. I always like to set my trailer on the down wind side of the dock (if you have a dock to contend with). That way if you don’t get it the first try, its much easer circle back around and take another stab at it. If the wind is blowing I always come in on the high side let the wind push me back center. The other thing is you don’t need to be perfectly square when coming into the trailer put the nose of the boat into the wind slightly.

elc    2

I do the same thing unless there is a current... then I am f'd. I hate trying to load the boat with a strong current. After loading our boats hundreds of times, I still can't get it on the trailer when there is a strong current.

CTMILKMAN    0

If it makes you feel any better, I once let my wife try to trailer my old boat (an outboard), she ended up completely sideways on the trailer!! (Wish I had a camera for that one) Needless to say that was the last time she tried. It definitely takes some getting used to.

h20king    794

when docking I come in slow on the starboard side with the bow pointed at the dock when I get close I put the boat in reverse this will pull in the back of the boat for a smooth docking. As for loading I dock the boat then go get the truck and trailer submerging the fenders by about an inch put the truck in park set the E brake then get in the boat while the wife gets in the truck push of the dock slightly then slowly drive foreword till boat stops on the bunks then give more throttle till bow is against the bow stop. leaving the boat in gear I bend over the bow attach the winch kill the engine and the wife drives foreword it is much faster this way takes us all of 5 min from time we dock till we pull outpost-777-1271811398_thumb.jpg bow stops beat just a roller any day

Edited by h20king

Loanerzone    0

Which launch ramp are you loading at? I find it is easier to load the boat at the shallow launch ramp at Utah Lake. Provo Harbor, northside, and the last ramp by the gravel lot! Like all the others I submerge the trailer until only about 1-2 inches of the front of the fenders are out of the water, that covers the long bunk boards, then I will line up with the trailer, about 100-200 yards out and then just idle in to the trailer keeping it as straight with the trailer as possible. Loading in the wind at Utah Lake is not fun at all, I have had my boat almost sideways while loading in the wind!

Edited by Loanerzone

enzo101mo    98

My problem it feels like re- training time in the being of every season. My wife backs the boat trailer in the water (sometimes to deep) then I drive it in slowly back off the trottle and gluide in. The worst is when the trailer is to low the bunks are too, then I bump into a guide pole which the boat bounces to the other side. Then I yell out :rofl: Ah sh-t I scream and the boats floating above the fenders. :rofl:

My first time out back in 2005 with the boat I snapped off the ABS pipe :rofl: Thank God for all the bad loading times I haven't put a scratch on it :cray:

It's good Information about how deep to be My wife and I have it down Now. :popo:

Red Falcon    1

I find that dumping the trailer all the way in till all bunks get wet then pull forward till fenders just appear out of the water. I deal with current every time, I find it easier to come in with some speed, enough to get the boat on the first bunks. The speed helps with keeping the boat straight. If I miss my target, I am with David circle around and take another shot.

Carter13    69

Same as above except when I start to get close I click it in gear but with no throttle to help steer the boat. Once the bow crosses the guide posts I click it out of gear and let the boat settle on the bunks. I then turn off the engine, jump out and hook up the winch and manually crank the boat all the way on the trailer. I usually need to have my wife back up twice into the water to make it easier to crank it into position.

I am lucky that my wife knows how to back up a trailer. When I drop her off to get the truck I nose up the the dock and she jumps off. I then back up and float a safe distance from all the crazy mahem until she has the trailer in the water. I do the same thing when we launch. :popo:

With my Tige, I used to have my wife dunk the bunks all the way and then position the fenders an inch above the water. I used to do the exact thing as above except once the boat settled on the bunks I would then power it up to the bow ring. Doing this ruined the bunk carpet the first summer so that is why I manually crank it up. The way I do it now the prop is completely safe from any possible damage also.

When I am dealing with strong current or knarly winds the throttle is my friend. I just goose it enough to gain control of the boat.

Edited by Carter13

Top    0
when docking I come in slow on the starboard side with the bow pointed at the dock when I get close I put the boat in reverse this will pull in the back of the boat for a smooth docking. As for loading I dock the boat then go get the truck and trailer submerging the fenders by about an inch put the truck in park set the E brake then get in the boat while the wife gets in the truck push of the dock slightly then slowly drive foreword till boat stops on the bunks then give more throttle till bow is against the bow stop. leaving the boat in gear I bend over the bow attach the winch kill the engine and the wife drives foreword it is much faster this way takes us all of 5 min from time we dock till we pull outpost-777-1271811398_thumb.jpg bow stops beat just a roller any day

I do it just like this but my wife and son "walk" the boat up the dock while I wait at the front of the trailer. They pull if forward until I can latch the strap from the trailer to the boat. I then crank it forward until the bow rests on the trailer roller. I then get in the truck and slowly pull it out.

1911    4

I also have a typhoon. Lots of advice already, but as far as trailer depth, i back in unitl water is just covering all the bunks. Works great for me. Looks like our trailers are the same too.

Troy    234

I don't know how to load the boat. The wife does it. I have done it 2 times in the 3 years we owned boats.

When we get to the water I back the trailer into the water and unload the boat and the wife parks the truck and trailer.

When it is time to go, the wife drops me off at the dock and I go get the truck and back it into the water, to the water is even with the finders. She idles up and puts the boat between the bunks. as soon as I can hook the winch she turns off the boat and I crank the boat up to the bow stop.

With our I/O it took us less than 2 min to retrieve the boat. With our Avy it takes us considerably longer but we only trailered it 2 times so far. hopefully by the end of the summer we will be able to do it in the 2 min time frame again.

The second time I took the new Avy out I scratched up the sides with the top of the guide posts :wallbash:

Trailer was too deep and current was not in my favor - argggg

oh well $hit happens.

Need to get the foam padding for the post and make them taller.

I do what many have said for loading.

1. I stay in the boat and the wife backs the rig down until the top inch of the highest point on the fenders is showing.

2. I stay about 100 yrds from the trailer until it is in place.

3. I power toward the trailer and favor a slight starboard approach as H20King mentioned. Picturing a clock I point about 12:30 or 1 to the trailer. When I need to slow down or adjust the reverse pulls me straight.

4. I glide onto the bunks and once the boat settle/stops and is straight i power up until I hit the front bumper.

5. I leave the boat in gear and powered forward slightly so it stays against the bumper and I walk foward and attached the winch, wind it once, go back and shut down the motor and single to the wife to pull us out.

I have not had an issue with it at all but clearly I am trusting the trailer guilds when I have it in gear and I am hooking the winch.

T

duramat    462

Back the trailer in till theres about 6" over the wheel well. Short controlled bursts to keep the forward motion/steering in check, and coast on in. Any more I will not power on but rather just bend over the bow attach the strap and winch in the rest. If someone cuts me off on my approach,,I wont lie, Im cursing like a sailer under my breath. Dont judge me... :wallbash:

If someone cuts me off on my approach,,I wont lie, Im cursing like a sailer under my breath. Dont judge me... :rolleyes:

agreed.

i hate it when im on my way up and you have that drunk idiot showing off his :censored: skills to the other drunk :censored: .

or when you get those people who tie up on the inside of the dock. i always want to :wallbash::D at them to get them to move.

its actually illegal at our lake, and possibly in cali to tie up on the inside of the dock.

yet you still get those :censored: who have no clue what they are doing.

desotodave    0

I have had issues for years, my wife CAN'T back the truck up, and she refused to try and load the boat. My dealer showed me a good solution for this so I don't have to back the truck in, run down the dock while everyone waits and my wife swaps me places. I pull the trailer in until the bunks are just barely covered with water, then the wife pulls on with the prop engaged the whole time (this gives her manuverability. the boat stops about 5 feet short of where it needs to be. she leaves the prop engaged at idle, and I slowly back the trailer up until the boat just slides right on. She has this maneuver down so we that we are always the fastest group to load.

poosie    7

I also went from a I/O to inboard and the first time trying to load was stressful as the speed of the boat is rather fast right out of nuetral hitting the trailer with a new boat. I found out that if the water is right level with the fender tops the trailer will straighten out the boat and center it pretty easy then i just give enough gas to get up the bow stop and hook up strap. I took plenty of times to get the nerve to hit the trailer with a little momentum but works pretty good. I have never hit bottom with prop when water is up to top of fenders. windy conditions still are a pain. good luck.