poosie    7

Ok i have to say that there is nothing easy about the whole process. Im sure that the impeller had never been changed in 6 years so it was definately due as the old 1 was cracked and wearing out on the ends. Sequence of events as follows.

-Remove serpentine belt by loosening the large nut on the idler arm which is located top left if looking at the motor from the back (350 mag mpi). Once the large nut is loose the idler will drop and belt can be removed easily.

-Figure out what is holding pump to motor (one-5/8 bolt and one 9/16 lock nut which requires a deep well socket) remove bolt and nut.

-Remove water hoses from pump and may require some prying if they have not been moved in a while.

-Remove motor mount bracket from pump (could not get assembly out with bracket on) 3 bolts with locktite on them.

-Once bracket is removed it was fairly easy to slide pump to side by alternator and pull out.

-Replace impeller (used tie strap to fold over vanes and rubbed some hand soap on to make easier).

-Revese order to re-install

-Drink a frosty 1 and be glad the job is done.

I found it easy to use 2 crescent wrenches to tighten idler arm. Only thing i would do differantly is not install perfect pass before the impeller as the pp cable kept getting in the way. All in all it was about 4 hours of dickin around but glad its done as im sure there would have been issues this summer based on condition of old impeller. be going out this next weekend to check pp and impeller operation.

post-395-1270939741_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939756_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939768_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939783_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939799_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939811_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939827_thumb.jpg

post-395-1270939840_thumb.jpg

Carter13    69
Now you can come over and do mine for me too, right?

Count me in to bro just jump on that scooter of yours and get on over here. :thumbsup:

elc    2

It really is pain replacing the impeller in these boats... I would basically go through the exact same steps as poosie but I would undo the fuel filter bracket which is on the same side of the engine as the water pump. It saved some skin on the knuckles and made it much easier to get the damn pump.

poosie    7

elc i tried to remove the fuel filter bracket but didnt have enoung room to pull off the stud bolts before it hit the edge. i was a little leary pulling it off at first because of the cork gasket on the braket but i think its just for vibration.

replaced just in the nick of time by the looks of it :surfing2:

Holzy22    0

Hey Poosie,

Thanks for the great write up. I followed what you did (except I did take off the water sep/fuel filter and bracket) and it is going great.

Now my impeller looks in to be in pretty good shape, I can't see any wear or cracks, should I leave it in or better to put a brand new one in now? Also was so happy to get it done, when I removed the old impeller, I did not notice which was was up or down on the impeller, I am assuming this is very important. I will put it in the same as your picture. Any rule of thumb?

How did you get your idler arm back on so the belt was tight?

Where did you order your new impeller from?

Can anyone else help here?

Thanks again.

Now my impeller looks in to be in pretty good shape, I can't see any wear or cracks, should I leave it in or better to put a brand new one in now?

I would replace it with a new one since you have it off already. Cheap insurance.

elc    2
Hey Poosie,

Thanks for the great write up. I followed what you did (except I did take off the water sep/fuel filter and bracket) and it is going great.

Now my impeller looks in to be in pretty good shape, I can't see any wear or cracks, should I leave it in or better to put a brand new one in now? Also was so happy to get it done, when I removed the old impeller, I did not notice which was was up or down on the impeller, I am assuming this is very important. I will put it in the same as your picture. Any rule of thumb?

How did you get your idler arm back on so the belt was tight?

Where did you order your new impeller from?

Can anyone else help here?

Thanks again.

Definitely replace it... you should be able to find an impeller for under $30.

I have bought impellers from skidim, boats.net, ebay, a local marine shop and most recently my dealer. I have a pretty good relationship with my current dealer so I get stuff like that from them, if I didn't I would just purchase one off ebay.

Kyle    0

When you go to tighten the pulley you will need a 5/8" closed end wrench and a 5/16" deep socket. Put the wrench on the nut that tightens down the pulley, then put the deep socket on the 5/16" adjustment nut. As you turn the smaller inner nut the pulley kind of walks up an inline gear and will tightnen the belt. while you are holding tension on the adjustment nut, tighten the 5/8 nut that tightens the pulley into place. most manuals recommend about a 1/2 inch deflection of the belt with moderate pressure applied between the top two pulleys. It may take a little trial and error.

To others reading, and no offense to Poosie, it is about a 45 minute job. Tops. But as my wife says, I have worked on my boat so much, I am well practiced. You may speed it up by removing the divider between the storage area and engine. by doing this, I can get around the water separator others are talking about.

good luck and may the force be with you.

poosie    7

holzy X2 what these guys said. change the impeller since you did the work to get it out. i think i ordered mine online but cant remember where around 35-40 with shipping. and yes the process should get quicker the more you do it. im planning on changing mine every other year. we usually average about 60-70 hours per season. good luck.

kyle no offense takin but curious what boat you have. i cant imagine it gets much easier from hull to hull.

Holzy22    0

Thanks boys for all the help.

Poosie my job was close to your time frame as I have to remove the hard ballast tank and pumps/lines etc on that side just be able to get in. Looks like we have the same boat so probably the same issues. I have no idea how you guys get under there with out taking off that filter.

Will do on the new impeller.

When you put the new impeller in the housing, do you bend all the blades in the right direction or does that just take care of itself the first time the motor runs?

Thanks again.

elc    2
Thanks boys for all the help.

Poosie my job was close to your time frame as I have to remove the hard ballast tank and pumps/lines etc on that side just be able to get in. Looks like we have the same boat so probably the same issues. I have no idea how you guys get under there with out taking off that filter.

Will do on the new impeller.

When you put the new impeller in the housing, do you bend all the blades in the right direction or does that just take care of itself the first time the motor runs?

Thanks again.

Bend them the same direction as the old one. I believe I used a zip tie the last time I put the impeller in rather then trying to squeeze the fins together with my hands and cram it in the housing.

poosie    7

yeah the tie strap with a bit of lube works well. there has been condiserable discussion regarding the direction of the vanes. I made sure mine went in the same way but some believe that nomatter what direction they are once the motor turns over they will be in the proper direction. I dont really subscribe to that thought as they are pretty stiff in a compact area. i thought better safe then sorry but who knows.

as far as removing the pump i had to slide it out the opposite side from where it is mounted as i did not remove the fuel fitler.

Kyle    0
kyle no offense takin but curious what boat you have. i cant imagine it gets much easier from hull to hull.

I have an 02 Escalade, which is actually an Avy from what I've been told. Has the walk through transome on the port side.

Carter13    69

I have mine changed out every other year.

I had it changed out in September by the dealer and it was easy, just a swipe of my debit card. :rolleyes:

Bongo Fury    640
I have mine changed out every other year.

I had it changed out in September by the dealer and it was easy, just a swipe of my debit card. :rolleyes:

X2

Spud    7

X3

07enzo230    0

Poosie did you have to replace a gasket? Sorry if you already mentioned that I missed it.

Thanks

poosie    7

07enzo the only gasket is a small o-ring and it comes with the impeller. but yes i did replace.