WakeDoc

What a Weekend, you will not believe this?

WakeDoc    471

WakeDiva and I got up Saturday morning, we had been installing a new flooring in our master room over the last couple of nights and decided to get out of the house. We needed to take the boat to Texas Sport Boats, our dealer, to be serviced for the summer. Picked up the boat from storage and headed north on I-45 to drop off the boat and head to a friend's house on Lake Conroe to spend a day on the lake with them. Coming up I-45 north the right lane (lane 1) exit is backed up onto the interstate. A car pulls out of lane 1 into lane 2 and is rear ended at full speed sending that car into lane 3 hitting a truck turning it sideways sending the truck into our rear passenger side quarter panel shearing off the rear wheel at the axel which puts us into a out of control spin I turned the wheels of the truck like we were making a hard right turn hoping to keep the jack knifed trailer against us. Hopefully keeping us from rolling which was my instant fear. We finally came to a stop, WakeDiva, Romeo (our dog) and myself were all unharmed. Shook up but, still unharmed. After making it to all the other vehicles to see if the others were ok I turned to run back to the truck and thought were the "F" is the boat. Coming back towards the truck I can see the trailer but, no boat. Andrea is yelling at me from the truck "where is the boat??" I turn back towards the south where all the damaged veichles came to rest and again no boat. I'm standing there looking confused and talking to myself I say out loud "Where the "F" is the boat? A guy going by me points to the north and says it jumped the medium and is in the south bound lanes. WHAT?? I turned and looked past the truck and there she is. The boat is about 100 yards past the truck on the other side of the interstate.

During the 2 to 3 full 360s, the boat came off the trailer sliding north bound towards the divider wall hitting the truck that originally hit us became airborne and went over the divider wall into the south bound lanes of I-45. Although there were a set of solid black skid marks right up to where the boat came to rest, the boat was not hit, nor did it hit anyone in the south bound lanes, thank goodness. As one of the officers said at the seen, "this is unbelievable, like a scene from a movie."

It was amazing how fast all the emergency crew got there and our hearts and thanks go out to every one of them. The other amazing thing was that within 10 minutes our phones started ringing people checking on us to see if we were ok. One of those people was Jeff from Texas Sport Boats; a friend of his had seen the boat and called to let him know. We had just talked to Jeff right before the accident. When he got a hold of us he was already on the way to the scene. There has been a lot of talk about dealers on here lately, let me tell everyone how outstanding ours is. Jeff came to the scene to help in anyway possible, suggested having the boat dropped at the dealer instead of a impound yard. He also suggest that the truck could be dropped at the Dodge dealer across the interstate from their shop. Once we got there and got everything out of the truck and sent it to the dealer to be unloaded Lee the owner of Texas Sport Boats drove Andrea to the airport, the closest place to get a rent car. This freed me up to get the boat off the ground and onto dolly's so the boat could be pushed into the shop where it is currently stored inside. We can't thank Lee and Jeff enough for all they did for us yesterday, above and beyond what any dealer could be expected to do. Also I want to thank Ryan, Willy and Sheila for also coming to the scene and driving us back to Texas Sport Boats.

This morning we are all a little sore and hope that will pass in a couple of days. I will be shocked if they're not, but it looks like the truck, boat and trailer are a total loss, unbelievable.

Below are some picture of the accident and damage I will post some more of the boat later.

The accident made the local news, story is HERE

and a video from the story HERE

med_gallery_66_113_12924.jpg

Where we came to a stop

med_gallery_66_113_55265.jpg

Looking south in the north bound lane

med_gallery_66_113_59598.jpg

Where boat came to rest in the south bound lanes

med_gallery_66_113_96692.jpg

Closer shot

med_gallery_66_113_60742.jpg

Standing next to boat in north bound lane looking at truck and trailer

med_gallery_66_113_85931.jpg

The truck tire is gone that is the spare on the trailer

med_gallery_66_113_80431.jpg

Boat loaded on flat bed

med_gallery_66_113_28249.jpg

Looking south at the scene, boat is now on the right side

med_gallery_66_113_11968.jpg

So at the end of it all this

med_gallery_66_110_99590.jpg

was this... :thumbsup:

Carter13    69

Wow is all I can say Wakedoc. I am glad you guys were not hurt and things can be fixed or replaced.

If it were me I think I would have been crying like a little baby.

I believe you are right about it all being a total loss.

Edited by Carter13

Audionly101    39

Most importantly I am glad to see you and your crew are OK! :thumbsup: That is just amazing wreckage. Just a shame to see all of your hard work to customize all of it only to see it towed away... I'm sorry for your loss, but again thankfully there were no injuries in your truck. Did the boat break the trailer tie down straps? I saw another accident involving a boat and trailer and that one was hard enough to rip the rear tie down eyelets right out of the transom.

nag    0

Craaaaaaazzzzzzyyyyy! Glad you guys are ok. Lucky the enzo bailed away from you or any other cars. 5000lbs of boat on you would hurt.

Kevin Baugh    78

Wow glad to hear everone is ok things can be replaced ...people not so much.

elc    2

What an amazing story... probably my worst fear when towing the boat (someone coming into my lane). Glad to hear everyone is okay!

I saw the D&*! that caused the accident was not insured.

islander033    2

HOLY $HIT!!!!!!

That is absolutely insane.

Very happy that you guys didn't get seriously injured.

Dude, first of all I hope you dropped to your knees and thank the man upstairs for keeping you on this earth for a little while longer. Second, I am glad that you are okay and not harmed and everyone else is okay. Boats and trucks can always be replaced, but a life cannot. Take it easy and get yourselves checked out by a doctor too just to be on the safe side. Sorry to see the boat on the mobile gurney, but also glad that it didn't hit anyone. Keep us posted please.

On a lighter side, I can see a new 2010 coming your way maybe. But man, what a pain to redo all that stereo setup.

David

smitty1258    0

glad everyone is ok! Amazing that the boat didnt hit anyone.

David    0

Wow.

Glad to here everyone is ok… I would say centurion makes a pretty tuff boat. I would expect the boat to be in pieces after hitting that concrete barrier. Have you ordered your new enzo yet?

Edited by David

duramat    462

HOLY SHIAT! My heart just sank reading about it and then to see the pics! So sorry to hear about that! The big man upstairs was watching over you be sure and thank him over and over!

Doc,,,on the bright side,,,doesnt this put you in the market for a a Brand new,,Centurion,,,PARASAIL BOAT??? :thumbsup:

Again, Im glad to know that you guys werent hurt nor anyone else for that matter

Quick question, Did the person at fault have insurance and do you have over and under insurance? Still go get checked out at the doctor. Car wrecks can have hidden damages later on that usually do not pop up until you least expect it.

duramat    462

You still need your FAE?? :thumbsup: Gotta find humor where you can to make it through life

I second Colombian on getting checked out

I say we invite the hoser who started it and with no insurance to go boating with us..Ive got these open toed bindings that fit well

post-50-1265579977_thumb.jpg

gotta find humor

Edited by duramat

WakeDoc    471

First thanks everyone for the words, we have been sitting around all day letting this sink in. Still hard to believe the whole rig it destroyed.

Yes the bow was strapped and the rear had a strap to each d-ring, the hooks on the ratchets straightened and released and the bow strap broke. I do not think steel chain would have kept the boat on the trailer, I think it coming off is what keep the truck upright.

Edit: police called and said the at fault does have insurance which is what we hoped to hear

The boat is absolutely totaled but, it is amazing how well it held up compared to what it went through. We had a camera with us, I will post some pictures of the boat tommorow.

Thanks again everyone.

Edit: see above

Oldwakedude    0

All I can say is :shok:. I must have just missed it, ran up to Conroe about the same time to mess with the boat, saw the line of cars at the exit. Explains why the state troopers :police: were out in force today (Sunday) passing out speeding tickets (not me fortunately) :thumbsup:. The girls called me from LA :welcome: (they saw it on facebook) they were quite concerned ;), and wanted to check to see if you all were ok. Thanks to your post I was able to assure them that Romeo and all were ok :stuart: . Well you know that if you need a ride on a quality wave anytime :Surfing: , all you gotta do is call, always ready to roll, usually no planning required 8) . I'll be looking forward to seeing the new setup once you get all the insurance and such figured out :surfing2:, I know I'll be jealous .

Edited by Oldwakedude

Troy    234

WOW! Glad everyone is ok! Good Lord watched out for you all that day! Sorry to see your rig totaled but hopefully it opens the door to get a new set-up. Can't wait to see some more pics! Our hearts sank as we read your post! Keep us updated on how everything unfolds!

Troy

h20king    794

crazy..... glad your ok thats what matters. any toy ever lost allways gets replaced with a better one .

Joe B    17

Unbelieveable!!!!

Glad everyone was safe, really that's all that matters.

I hear ya about morons without insurance, my fame is the first day of bringing my new boat home, I left the boat attached to the truck in the cul-de-sac infront of the house and a school bus spun around in the morning and took out the SUV. FYI, government vehicles do not have to cover what they wreck! In all states! Called soverign immunity. Anyways, I chalked mine up to karma and they'll get theirs.

nevadakings    0

Echoing everyone else - wow- glad to see you are all safe. As hard as it is to see your hard earned stuff get destroyed, "stuff" can be replaced ... people can't.

Hope everything works out for you with the insurance sharks and your new tow rig and boat will soon arrive in your driveway!